Help needed please?

But if I just have one splitter will I still have weak signal and poor picture quality? That is what is concerning me.

Is it best to get pre made coaxial cables or make my own?

Also where do I get the best coaxial cable from like vermins?

I'm dreading after getting everything that I might get poor picture quality and weak signal.

But if I just have one splitter will I still have weak signal and poor picture quality? That is what is concerning me.

Is it best to get pre made coaxial cables or make my own?

Also where do I get the best coaxial cable from like vermins?

I'm dreading after getting everything that I might get poor picture quality and weak signal.

No one can say whether using the splitter will reduce your signal to an extent where it will give problems. As I said earlier, it depends on the strength of the signal entering your home.

The only way to guarantee that your signal isn't reduced, is to get your broadband by ADSL (over the phone line). You can then plug your cable straight into the Gigablue box. Although if you also cancel your cable broadband there's a chance that the feed could be cut off at any time. My feed is still active over 4 years since cancelling my VM services.

The cables in the kit I linked to might work perfectly well. Although they don't use the best cable quality, they may be perfectly adequate. I have used those types of cables in the past with no problems (when I was feeling too lazy to make up my own). It also depends on how far away from the splitter your box is. Obviously the greater the distance, the more loss through the cable, so the greater the chance of needing better quality cable.

I think that VM use something like RG6 cable (or equivalent). My VM cable is unmarked, but the diameter is the same as RG6.

If I was you, I would try the kit I linked to first. Then, if you have problems, consider getting some better quality cable. The kit is less than a fiver, & you will still need the splitter (& perhaps the adaptor) anyway.

As I said above, unless you change your broadband to ADSL, then you have no choice but to use a splitter. There is no other option.

Last edited:
So you can't buy pre made RG6 cable then and do you have to make it yourself?

Ye your right that kit does have the cable, splitter and connector. So is the best option.

Changing to ADSL is not an option I'm afraid as it will be slow for me.

In your opinion is it not risky paying a lot for a combo box to then get issues with picture quality and signal?

As always thanks for the help.

So you can't buy pre made RG6 cable then and do you have to make it yourself?

Ye your right that kit does have the cable, splitter and connector. So is the best option.

Changing to ADSL is not an option I'm afraid as it will be slow for me.

In your opinion is it not risky paying a lot for a combo box to then get issues with picture quality and signal?

As always thanks for the help.

If you search for RG6 in the "sound & vision" section on Ebay, you will find some ready-made cables. You just need to work out in advance what length you need.

It's impossible to say if it's too risky, as it's not my money LOL.

If you do end up having problems, you would get the bulk of your money back by reselling it on Ebay.

Thanks mate.

I have looked at RG6 on ebay and I cant see the kit similar to the one you posted.

So would you still suggest to go for the kit you linked me to instead of RG6 atm?

I dont need a long cable as everything is close by. Those RG6 cables ready made ones and ones you make yourself are very long as well compared to the cheaper cables.

Thanks mate.

I have looked at RG6 on ebay and I cant see the kit similar to the one you posted.

So would you still suggest to go for the kit you linked me to instead of RG6 atm?

I dont need a long cable as everything is close by. Those RG6 cables ready made ones and ones you make yourself are very long as well compared to the cheaper cables.

Do not go for RG6 it's not great.

Here you go

5m WF100 TWINSAT WEBRO COAX CABLE TWIN SHOTGUN DIGITAL - 100dB COPPER CORE | eBay

2 Way TV Satellite Cable Splitter for Sky Virgin Media | eBay

F-Connector Socket to RF Coax Aerial Male Adapter | eBay

Thanks mate.

Here you go

5m WF100 TWINSAT WEBRO COAX CABLE TWIN SHOTGUN DIGITAL - 100dB COPPER CORE | eBay

Why are you exactly saying to avoid RG6 Cables?

I am confused now what to do. Im spending quite a bit of money so everything has to work properly otherwise its a waste.

For those who have combo boxes, did you buy ready made coaxial cables or did you make your own? Also did you use cheap cables or the best ones which are RG6 cables?

Thanks mate.

Here you go

I am confused now what to do. Im spending quite a bit of money so everything has to work properly otherwise its a waste.

For those who have combo boxes, did you buy ready made coaxial cables or did you make your own? Also did you use cheap cables or the best ones which are RG6 cables?

RG6 is what Virgin used to use because it was cheap and not to bad for short runs but what I linked you to is the best stuff to go for. (if you only need say 2m then it doesn't really matter)

I think you are over thinking this whole thing and making it seem like it's difficult it's not (everything is in links i posted up)

No one can answer if you will have signal issues it's a risk no matter what cable or splitters you choose. (before you buy a box you could buy the other bits, maybe someone may be close to you to lend you a box)

Last edited:
Thanks mate.

Here you go

RG6 is what Virgin used to use because it was cheap and not to bad for short runs but what I linked you to is the best stuff to go for. (if you only need say 2m then it doesn't really matter)

I think you are over thinking this whole thing and making it seem like it's difficult it's not (everything is in links i posted up)

No one can answer if you will have signal issues it's a risk no matter what cable or splitters you choose. (before you buy a box you could buy the other bits, maybe someone may be close to you to lend you a box)

But what is that on the first link you posted? It doesnt seem to be a coaxial cable.

TBH I dont know anyone who has the box, I would have to buy the box and the extras and hope for the best.

Thanks mate.

Here you go

But what is that on the first link you posted? It doesnt seem to be a coaxial cable.

TBH I dont know anyone who has the box, I would have to buy the box and the extras and hope for the best.

First link is twin coax so it means two cables are molded together rather then two separate ones (you can pull them apart if you wanted)

answer to your pm channel king, couldnt attach photo.

You dont want them knowing you are splitting the cable so dont tell or ask them anything, if they come to inspect your property one day you will get caught so dont ask them anything.

Its not the f type that is male or female, it is the cable side. just get the one on the link I sent you and you have one of each then you cant go wrong.

Splitting cables is not the way you think it is, you dont split the actual cable. It basically means you take the one cable that virmin have installed, put a splitter on the end of it, and it sends the signal in 3 different directions, allowing you to connect extra cables.

This is a picture of a 2 way splitter, a 3 way splitter just has an extra output

setup.jpg

This needs to be taken one step at a time. We could speculate forever about which cables are best etc.

I would still go with the kit that I linked to as a first step. It only costs about £1 more than buying the splitter & F-type to TV adaptor seperately. You will also get 2 cables, which for a short run, may well work OK.

If you then have signal problems, we can take it from there, using either WF100 or RG6. The difference in attenuation for those 2 types is negligable for short runs, so either should do.

BUT...you need to take that first step.

As crmorris2 says (and in answer to your PM), don't mention anything about this to VM!

Hands up who has been getting PM's as well as answering this thread !!! :handup:

This is a big discussion over such a "potentially" minor issue lol

Sorry channelking, but these same questions where asked and answered months back when you
asked them last time around !!

(See post 9)

Last edited:
From Kremmen's link for the complete kit, what exactly is the F to F inline joiner?

Also there is 1 F to Coax Adaptor and 1 x F to F Inline Joiner so which one goes on which end of the coaxial cable?

Finally the connector on the live feed does that have to be connected to the IN port of the splitter or does the connector from the live feed has to be taken off?

Can anyone please reply. I am completely confused on the connectors and which connector goes on which of the two extra cables.

If you calm down and read the replies you have been given carefully, you will have your answer.
I don't have one of these boxes, but I am sure I could set one up using the instructions above.
The photo in cmorris's post above shows exactly what goes where.
If you put a photo of the kit you bought, maybe someone can help you out.

Oh, and please - NO PM's, anything that needs sorting can be done here in the open forum.

From Kremmen's link for the complete kit, what exactly is the F to F inline joiner?

Also there is 1 F to Coax Adaptor and 1 x F to F Inline Joiner so which one goes on which end of the coaxial cable?

Finally the connector on the live feed does that have to be connected to the IN port of the splitter or does the connector from the live feed has to be taken off?

The F to F inline joiner is a back-to-back F socket (sometimes called a barrel connector). It's used to connect 2 F type leads together. You won't need it.

The F to coax adapter is fitted on the end of one of the F to F type leads to adapt it to fit to the TV type socket on the Gigablue cable input connector.

Follow wheelo's advice & have a look back through the thread about where the cables connect to.

Once you have the Gigablue box & splitter kit in front of you, it should all become clear.

If you calm down and read the replies you have been given carefully, you will have your answer.
I don't have one of these boxes, but I am sure I could set one up using the instructions above.
The photo in cmorris's post above shows exactly what goes where.
If you put a photo of the kit you bought, maybe someone can help you out.

Oh, and please - NO PM's, anything that needs sorting can be done here in the open forum.

Sorry mate I was just PM to get help and the thread wasnt active.

I was just panicking about what connectors go where.

Sorry.

---------- Post Merged at 01:49 PM ----------

The F to F inline joiner is a back-to-back F socket (sometimes called a barrel connector). It's used to connect 2 F type leads together. You won't need it.

The F to coax adapter is fitted on the end of one of the F to F type leads to adapt it to fit to the TV type socket on the Gigablue cable input connector.

Follow wheelo's advice & have a look back through the thread about where the cables connect to.

Once you have the Gigablue box & splitter kit in front of you, it should all become clear.

Thanks for the clarification.

I was and still am partly confused as to where the F to coax adapters fit. As I thought you would fit them on the cable that goes on the out on the splitter and on the other part which goes in the box.

Sorry goes for stressing, panicking and just seeming crazy lol. It happens as I am very slow at understanding anything. So please accept my apology.

I will try my best to follow all advice given and guides and if I run into any problem I will post back.

Thanks for your time and patience with me.

Back