I need help with a new H2h

Hope you can help me please.

For various reasons I did not feel able to buy a 'virgin' H.2H and put it all together myself. I've had a stroke and it would be beyond me . I have also tried to follow on earlier posts but I'm afraid I can't understand most of them.

Thus I bought (brand new) one off the shelf in the hope that the premium I paid would ensure everything would be fine. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out that way and the man I bought it from seems unable to resolve the issues.

When I bought the box (two months ago) it was loaded on 'Openvix' and it also came with a 16gb sd card; the EPG works fine and I can tape things satisfactorily.

The vast majority of things are OK and work correctly, but the main problem is the timeshift on television, which does not work.

The timeshift on the stuff I have taped - on the sd card - works fine but when I try to use timeshift on TV all I get is a 'verboten' box in the top right hand corner - the timeshift doesn't work at all. Also, the 'Back' button also does not work, which is annoying.

In order to resolve the problem the man I bought it from told me to do the following:

On the handset: press menu; set-up; system; and then disable the timeshift. I tried to do this but 'timeshift' was already disabled, and naturally this didn't make any difference.

He then said to resolve the problem I would need a USB stick to run in tandem with the SD card. i.e. to be inserted in the back of the box. To enable this he sent a (Skandisk 16gb stick) and I put it in the rear USB socket; I think it may have worked for a few days, I can't remember but, it certainly doesn't work now.

I thought I would take a look at the USB stick he sent to see what sort of files it had on it, but my Windows 7 PC doesn't recognise it, it says isn't there. Could this be the problem?

I also can't understand if the USB stick is essential why wasn't it included when I bought the box? Also, if the USB stick is u/s, could I replace it by using a 500mb HDD, formatted to exNFTS? I asked this because the 16gb sd soon gets full rather quickly and it's a bit of a PIA.

If there's anything odd in the missive above, or you can't understand it, just ask me again. The stroke has left me with impaired memory and aphasia..It's a bugger.

:(

You can use the 500gb drive in place of the usb and it will give you more space for recordings.
Switch the box off altogether and then start it up with the new drive plugged in.
You will then need to initialise it (which converts the filesystem to ext4) to use it for timeshift.
There are some guides in my signature that may help, I can't remember the procedure for ViX and I'm at work at the moment.

Thank you. FYI the 500gb was in use by the grandchildren so I am using a NESO 256gb which is formatted to exFAT. I can do as you say but I have no idea where I can find your guides, can you help me with that?

Thanks

Xav

I have tried to download the ipk file and it says it can't download it because it needs to know which type of file it uses. I tried in W/Explorer and Dropbox but both gave the same message.

Am I correct in thinking that when I do/can get it, I have to download this file on my PC and then put the HDD in the USB in my PC?

Can't I run it directly via the box?

Xav

---------- Post Merged at 01:45 PM ----------

Sorry, what I meant by the last question was, can I plug the HDD in the rear plug at the box and sort it out via that way rather than using the PC.

The ipk file is installed on your H2S box. I don't understand why it won't download, I will look when I get home.
You should be able to download it to your PC, copy it to a usb stick and plug it into the H2S and install it.

You can just initialise it on the H2S but I can't remember how to do it.

Have you managed to download the ipk file? The dropbox page just tells you that ipk files can't be previewed. Click the download link under the message.
Next you get a dropbox login form - just click 'no thanks, continue to download'.
Copy the ipk file to a usb stick and plug into the front usb on the zgemma - install extension - reboot - click usb format on plugins menu - follow the instructions.
Don't plug the drive you want to format in until the plugin tells you to.

Sorry, I've tried every way I can: W/explorer, Dropbox, three different browsers and two different computers. All say the same. They all tell me they don't know what type of file it is and asking me what to use on. As I said, I'm using W7 (on both computers). What did you open it with?

Xav

I'm sorry, I didn't realise that, I thought that once it was in Dropbox I had to open it in a computer. The file is called Enigma2-plugins etc etc and I will just copy this onto my USB stick and put it into the rear USB slot in the box. I can't do this today however, so I will let you know tomorrow how I get on. Many thanks and night night.

---------- Post Merged at 08:54 PM ----------

Just one last thing before I go to bed. I am going to use a 250gb hdd, is it better to put the IPK file into this (hdd) or does it have to be installed via a USB stick?

Don't plug the drive you intend to use in until the plugin tells you to.
Either install the ipk from usb or ftp it and install it from the /tmp directory.

I have got this far:

I rebooted and waited until the blue circle stopped shining,

then I put in the USB stick and this showed me:

Installed --- '1' Extensions etc

Then I pressed '1' (on this line) and this then showed me:

'IPK installer enigma 2….usb etc'

Pressed OK and then pressed 'green box' to install.

I then got the message:

'Installed, upgraded or removed 0 package (with 0 errors)'.

What do I do next?

Xav

Sounds like it didn't install for some reason.

Try Sucmnsee instructions:

Box off.
Usb in rear.
Box on.
Menu
Setup
System
Storage devices
Initialisation
Select ur drive
Red to initialise
Exit all

Menu
Setup
System
Timeshift settings
Autostart ts after 30secs or whatever.
As it is u must press pause to start timeshift)

OK thanks

By 'Box Off' do you mean turn it off at the back of the box (reboot) or turning it off at the front.

Also

USB in rear. Which USB are we talking about? The stick I have installed yesterday on the 'Enigma etc' or the USB I'm hoping to use in future, i.e. the 250gb one?

When you say 'Select ur drive' is that an abbreviation for 'Select your drive'?

I'm not being pedantic, I really don't understand many of the things you're saying.

Thanks

Sorry I've just cut and pasted Sucmnsee's instructions.

Switch the box off - deep standby and then power off with the white button on the back.
Put the new 250GB in the rear port and power on.

Menu > Setup > System > Storage devices > Initialisation
Select your drive

Red to initialise

Exit all

If you then reboot and go to Menu > Setup > ViX > Mount Manager
Your drive should be mounted as /media/hdd and ext3 R/W

You can now setup your timeshift settings.

Hi sorry for the lacuna, I had to go away rather unexpectedly...

I saw the box initialise my hdd (I think successfully) it did not then allow me to press 'Red', it just went back to the screen.

I then went to the next paragraph (Menu> Setup> VIX and the following showed a new set of instructions:

four red coloured boxes R Y G B

Size 312gb Mount: /media/hdd
Device/dev/sdal Type: ext 4 R/W

I presume I then have to press one of the coloured boxes, but which one?

Red: shows nothing; Green: Setup Mount; Yellow: unmount; Blue: mount.

If I press the wrong one does the TV blow up? :)

That sounds about right. Exit that menu and set up a swap file if you want one and then timeshift settings.

Please confirm: I don't press any of these coloured buttons, all I have to do is just exit.

Next question: What is and how do I set up a 'swap file'. What is it for and what does it do?

Xav

---------- Post Merged at 04:01 PM ----------

Going a bit further on the buttons thing. The green button (setup mount) and the blue one (Mount) appear to be instructions. Is that as how you understand it too?

Back