Line disconnects after about9:30pm most nights

frosty

I'm after abit of insight and expert knowledge off you guys as I am experiencing a very bizarre issue with my Openbox v5s and line.

Throughout most of the day the box works perfect with no issues but what I've picked up is when it gets past 9pm the channels which work via a line (the gifted channels) appear to become Scrambled. Yes all of them. The free channels which receive a signal through the satellite dish continue to work. I try various reboots to the box, the router in the house and nothing till I eventually give up and go to bed. In the morning the channels are back online.

My setup, the router is in a different room to where the Openbox is so I make use of Homeplugs. The Homeplugs definately work as I try plugging my laptop in at the end where the openbox is and this still picks up an internet signal.

I've tried factory resetting the box, reseating cables at Openbox end and router end, rebooting Openbox, deleting the line and re-installing it on the box, last night i even tried to portforward the port that the Openbox line is using, and finally installing a different line (from the same provider) with no success.

Is the server i'm connecting getting to congested at that time of the night as its peak time for internet traffic? How do i check if the server is at fault? I contacted the chap that supplies me the line and he sent me a screenshot status of me being online with my Openbox.

Now is this an issue with my Line, my router, my Openbox or something else?

Help

Frosty

the best way to check your network is to run the you-tube app if that works your network is ok. I doubt their is anything wrong with the way the box is setup as it works all day.

Should the YouTube app work as long as there is an Internet connection? Will check this tonight

Are you just running one box of that line. if you have another box using the same line one box will get blocked.

When the line goes down check your cccam config to see if it is offline or trying to logon. if its still showing online statue disconnect your ethernet cable from the openbox for around 30 secs. you may be getting a congested broadband line and the ip blocks it.

Last edited:
Yes I'm aware if a diff ip uses the same line it will get blocked. I'm 99% sure it's only me using this line. No one else will have access to my line

HI, when they go off have you unplugged the the LAN cable from the back of the box and plug into laptop and do speedtest and pingtest, see how that goes. Is there something turning on nearby at the same time you go off, E.G. central heating, fridge/freezer, or someone using iplayer, etc giving electrical interference or somebody in house using all bandwidth? Can you run a long Cat5 cable to rule out the homeplugs?

I will do a speedtest and ping test at different times of the day with the lan cable from Openbox to laptop to see if there's any differences.

I initially thought as the central heating goes off at 9pm the box interferes with this. Had a new boiler put in a week ago which is even further away from Openbox. The heating does come on and off during the night and day but the Openbox remains off.

Regarding the bandwidth: yes cause everyone is at home bandwidth is being used a lot more but again no one is using the bandwidth through the whole night. The box consistently goes off every night.

It's a bungalow and detached from neighbours houses. I can pick up neighbours routers when browsing wifi so potentially may get interference from something at a neighbours?

Don't have access to a long cat5 at the moment but I do have a second telephone line in the house with a unused broadband so will try that tonight too

Yes, check your connection when it goes off. Its not overheating is it? Box is well ventilated? Is there a cheap USB stick in it?
WiFi wont affect you as your "wired" on homeplugs. If you have a 2nd line with broadband on it then can that one be wired to box? Hope that helps.

could be your server with too many connections when everyone is home from work and all firing up their boxes. could be a poor server

Yes homeplugs are both in double sockets and the other socket is being used both ends. How would these drop the connection? The connection works fine through the day.

I've emailed the chap who's running the server to monitor the servers after 9pm to see if he picks up any spikes and issues with the server around then.

Did check box if it overheats and it doesn't.. Sat on a glass stand alone and has no usb stick or any other usb plugged into it

It is more than likely a problem the server end one way to check is get a free test line from somewhere else and see if the same thing happens.

try unplugging other items later and see if it returns,maybe box and router might need a reboot also.
newer homeplugs items can be plugged into.

As the time approaches towards 9pm. Some channels have started coming up scrambled and others are working.

Then a few minutes later all channels are back

I had this every night once peak times hit it was the server at fault even with the provider trying to blame my network/internet so I moved provider and issue has been solved.

Funny thing is the provider few weeks later started doing cheap deals then disappeared with a load of people moaning this may not be the case here but there are a lot of server providers in it for quick bucks only.

mortmaru do u mind pm'ing me who u get ur line off? I'm all up for a cheap deal but sometimes it's better to go with reliability especially if it's running ur main tv in the house

I've got a 3 day test line off same person now but using a totally different server.

Ran speedtests at 2 different times

1st speedtest ran at 17:15 30/12/14 on speedtest.net

Router side: download 14.55mb upload 0.96mb ping 32.
Openbox side using Homeplugs: download 14.10mn upload 1mb ping 40.

2nd speedtest ran at 22:00 30/12/14 on speedtest.net

Router side: download 12.75mb upload 0.98mb ping 39

Openbox side using homeplugs: download 12.72mb upload 0.89mb ping 36

Back