MAG 254 or MAG 256

Kasim99

as the thread suggest which one do you guys recommend for solely IPTV compatibility ?

Easy to use/ set-up would be great.

i'm moving over from an Openbox v9 which is terrible.

Mag 256 has double ram nearly double flash memory quicker operating system and you can get it with or without built in wifi.Not sure what difference is in price I just went straight for the 256 been excellent so far.Extremely easy to use and setup.

Heard alot of people on the forums saying they had problems when upgrading to the MAG 256 for some reason that's why i asked. Where did you purchase yours from ?

World of satellite pal.Meaby a couple of quid dearer but it's an original there are alot of fakes and clones on fleabay.Even amazon can't be trusted sometimes.

I've read on forums on this site alot of people speak highly of them as well.If I'm not mistaken(if I am someone will let me know) but I think they only sell original product as well.

If it helps anyone the 1 I got off wos was £88 in total delivery included plus it is the built in wifi version those on both the sites above are standard.But it all depends what you prefer pal.

My mag 256 comes on Friday with 12 months iptv,my zgemma hs2 obviously had most of the channels blocked by sly so this will be my replacement,just hope it’s as good as it looks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am trying to decide whether to buy a Mag 254 or a Mag256.

From reading the posts the Mag 254 is very good, but the Mag 256 is faster again, since it has a more powerful processor.

But I've also read that the 256 has the recording facility disabled by the manufacturer now, and it requires a software workaround to be sourced and installed by the purchaser in order to get it to be able to record? (And you have a supplier who allows you to record?) Whereas the 254 still has the recording facility working when it arrives from the manufacturer?

Also the 256 comes with WiFi and the standard version 254 does not. But I've often read on TKs that you're always better off with you device hard wired with the internet through TP Links etc, than depending on WiFi. Has anyone any used WiFi on the 256, is it good enough, or did you end up using TP links anyway?

So in summation, the 254 as far as I know allows for recording when it arrived from the manufacturer - and that would be a quite valuable feature for me. Is this true, that 254 allows for recording, but the 256 does not? Appreciate any response from current users, thanks.

Not sure if the recording feature is how you describe it, I hear some servers allow recording and others don't.

Plus you only have one stream in, so you won't be able to switch channels while recording is taking place anyway.

So it's only really usuful if you are going out and want to tape something.

Both boxes can come as hardwired or Wifi versions. The Wifi version will have a "W1" after it.

MAG254(W1) or MAG256(W1).

Depends on your Wifi speed, if you have a fast / big BB package you should be ok, if it's only a small package you may struggle, lots of people get a fairly big drop between Wifi and wired.

As you are streaming you need to speed test your download speed for both methods.

If you are only browsing the internet on a tablet or laptop you may not see much difference between the two
but you will notice it on IPTV.

Generally hardwired is preferred and using a pair of homeplugs for the internet feed to a box will usually
be far better than using Wifi.

Just throwing it out there, but what about an MXQpro running a MAG emulator approx £25 on Ebay, then you could run Kodi and / or a dodgy netflicks password too,
save yourself a nice little few bob !!:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Last edited:
Not sure if the recording feature is how you describe it, I hear some servers allow recording and others don't.

Plus you only have one stream in, so you won't be able to switch channels while recording is taking place anyway.

So it's only really usuful if you are going out and want to tape something.

Both boxes can come as hardwired or Wifi versions. The Wifi version will have a "W1" after it.

MAG254(W1) or MAG256(W1).

Depends on your Wifi speed, if you have a fast / big BB package you should be ok, if it's only a small package you may struggle, lots of people get a fairly big drop between Wifi and wired.

As you are streaming you need to speed test your download speed for both methods.

If you are only browsing the internet on a tablet or laptop you may not see much difference between the two
but you will notice it on IPTV.

Generally hardwired is preferred and using a pair of homeplugs for the internet feed to a box will usually
be far better than using Wifi.

Just throwing it out there, but what about an MXQpro running a MAG emulator approx £25 on Ebay, then you could run Kodi and / or a dodgy netflicks password too,
save yourself a nice little few bob !!:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
Thanks for the reply. Hmm well I am tempted by the MXQpro suggestion. I was thinking about the Mag box because if it works for me I was thinking of then passing it on to my brother who isn't tech savvy, and Mag boxes are supposed to be very simple to use and stable. I currently have a Zgemma H2S, and the IPTV I have does freeze ( I went through a few test, all froze, and these current supplier guys froze too, but their prices were reasonable and I only wanted it for the Premership and NFL, so I can live with the freezing for now as its not costing too much.) As for Kodi, well I use IPTV player plugin on the Zgemma H2S and that gives me all the movies and TV series I want really - so I don't know what extra Kodi would give me? I was thinking of the Mag box, because I have 40/50 Mbps broadband (its received to an antenna on the house here in the Irish countryside), and I thought I might give the Mag box a go for my brother, and also just to see if it did improve my IPTV freezing during the football viewing 'experience'!

My IPTV provider says they're fine with me recording (I was thinking I could record a football match when I was out - of course that would only work if it didn't freeze!!). So that's why I was enquirying about the Mag 256 - and its doesn't allow recording, right? The Mag 254 has no wifi, but the Mag 254 w1 (5 quid extra) does from what I can see - and the Mag254 allows for recording, right? But with my WiFi I probably just get the home plug as you said, (and I have home plugs to my Zgemma anyway).

Out of curiosity do you have a link to a MXQpro for 25 pounds? I looked it up on Amazon and Ebay and didn't quite see that. There were a few cheaper ones from China (might these be copies?!). Do you have a link to a reputable supplier at 25 quid for one by any chance?

Last edited:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-MXQ-PRO-M8s-Quad-Core-Android-6-0-Smart-TV-Box-4K-K17-1-Sports-Movies/322643269031?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Bought a couple from here

I was just pointing out that can't run Kodi through a MAG but you can with an android box.

Somebody else will have to confirm if there is an issue the firmware / recording on the 256, didn't try it when I was messing about with it.
Great, thanks bees. Also, I've been looking through other posts on TK and it does appear that you can record using a Mag 256.

Back