More ethernet ports

gaelic-red

Hi , I have a virgin hub it has 4 ethernet ports, I need 6 so I think I need an ethernet switch if so has anyone got any advice on the best one and a cheap price , cheers!

do you have any old provider supplied modems/routers kicking about?
most can be configured as simple switches/routers
I have 6 [iirc] old TT routers doing this very job, and all for FREE :grin:

I recently just brought one from pc world. It works a charm... link -

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comp...-port-ethernet-switch-white-10024569-pdt.html

Will post some pictures aswell
e2c700553f175063018bf1d5635dadf2.jpg

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

Works good enough tho. You don't need over 100mbps for anything. I have 200mbps for WiFi. But for everything I wire i limited it to 100mbps as that is more than enough for the thing I wire up.

Thanks for the replies all , so is it safe to to say an 8 port / 100 mbps switch would be more than enough for home use ? And would it be better to put all ethernet connections into the new switch or keep using all the router ports and 2 or 3 in the new "switch"

Thanks for the replies all , so is it safe to to say an 8 port / 100 mbps switch would be more than enough for home use ? And would it be better to put all ethernet connections into the new switch or keep using all the router ports and 2 or 3 in the new "switch"
Yes get the 8 port/100 Mbps switch for home use. All the devices you least use plug them into the switch. 3 devices you used the most plug into the actual router.

Yes get the 8 port/100 Mbps switch for home use. All the devices you least use plug them into the switch. 3 devices you used the most plug into the actual router.

^^^^^^
I'd go with that,
remember, all the items in the switch will be sharing one port on the router, so they will have your router port speed [100Mbps?] shared between them.

That's what I get... In my switch everything plugged in I get 100mbps (ookla speedtest)

How though?
If your main router is only giving each of its ports 100Mbps then there is only 100Mbps available for the switch to share,? iyswim
Maybe your main router has a gigabit port,?

How though?
If your main router is only giving each of its ports 100Mbps then there is only 100Mbps available for the switch to share,? iyswim
Maybe your main router has a gigabit port,?
I have the latest superhub from VM... Which I believe max is 912mb per port

Yes and he has the same router so his will be the same

all good then, :(y):I only have 1 gigabit port on my router, the other 3 are 100Mbps
which is ok for me, I only get 17meg speed anyway, :(

Back