Mounting a NAS drive for recording- not working (?)

Sh500

Hi all,

I have just received this as a third box for the house. I also have a Vu Duo and Solo 2. Both the VUs connect to my Buffalo NAS drive without any issues. Both are set up to record directly to the NAS. I have been using this without any issues for about 3-4 years.

I tried entering the same mount details on the Star 2s, but I am always left with a red X. Selecting the 'auto' option in 'Mounting using', seems to 'enable' the mount. But when I go to select it as a recording path, I get a message saying the device is not writeable. I have tried both NFS and CIFS. CIFS is what works for my VU devices.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

---------- Post Merged at 12:58 PM ----------

Sorry, couldn't find the edit thread option...

Forget to add, the VU devices are both running VIX, but the Star 2s is running the shipped OpenATV (not sure of the version). I may try VIX on this box, but am liking the UI for the OpenATV image.

Just in case it helps others:

I needed to change the 'mount options' to "rw,nolock,sec=ntlm"

There was apparently some change in the recent kernel that required this.

not heard of many people recording to nas,how did you set it up as i myself and others would be very interested to hear thanks.

Yeah I've used nas recording since getting my Duo about 4 years ago.

The settings are similar if not same as others recording to pc connected internal drives.

- mount using: AutoFS
- local share: anyshare_name
- mount type: cifs
- server ip: IP_add_of_nas
- server share: sharefolder _on_nas
-use hdd replacement: yes
-mount options: rw,nolock,sec=ntlm
-username/password for nas share.

The only thing I can't do with nas is timeshift (need ext or nfs support on nas).

I've been trying to set mine up for days, been ripping my hair out, I'm sure I'm doing it right, or maybe missing a small detail.

Any chance you could talk me through it?

Ps I'm using the latest Vix image on a Xpeed lx2.

Last edited:
Thanks to the OP for this. Just got my zgemma last night I have mounted my WD nas drive and altered the settings as above. When i try to record it says the HDD is full. I can't seem to direct the recording to the NAS. Any ideas for a NOOB please. Thanks in advance.

I am running openvix on a zgemma star s2 and can't seem to mount my dink nas drive to record direct to.was running openatv and mounted it first time could anyone please help?????

Is recording to a NAS going to better/worse than recording to a local external USB drive?

Also is your CrossEPG/timers stored on the NAS as well?

Cross epg is stored on a external USB hdd along with timeshift.i want to store recordings on nas so that they can be watched anywhere on my network.thanks for your reply.

if i want to use my vu boxes i need to enable nfs setup or samba [ old images ] to discover boxes on network,if nas is not seen its not mounted.

Back