Movie Organisor plugin - organise your series recordings into folders

Guys im using the latest vix released 11/11 and whenever i enable to the movie organiser plugin it works ok to begin with and then messes with timers. It allows me to create auto timers but doesn't actually create a timer to record. As soon as i remove the plugin it works as it should. Any ideas on a fix? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Grog mate.. how on earth have you managed this lol...

Believe me, this isn't a complaint i'm just amazed and confused..

I have two boxes, both recording to a NAS.. I have your plugin enabled on only one of them.. and some how, it's moved a recording that's currently going on... and managed to carry on recording in the new location..

it's worth noting that the box that has your plugin running, is not currently the one that's doing the recording.. but how on earth!? i had seen it before but figured i must have been wrong, but right now it's shifted i'm a celebrity and it's still recording lol!

The movie organisor plugin DOES NOT touch your timers, it doesn't even look at the timers it just looks at the files in the movies folder and organises them, no more and no less.

Guys im using the latest vix released 11/11 and whenever i enable to the movie organiser plugin it works ok to begin with and then messes with timers. It allows me to create auto timers but doesn't actually create a timer to record. As soon as i remove the plugin it works as it should. Any ideas on a fix? Thanks in advance.

---------- Post Merged on 17-11-2016 at 12:06 AM ----------

I have two boxes, both recording to a NAS.. I have your plugin enabled on only one of them.. and some how, it's moved a recording that's currently going on... and managed to carry on recording in the new location..

it's worth noting that the box that has your plugin running, is not currently the one that's doing the recording.. but how on earth!? i had seen it before but figured i must have been wrong, but right now it's shifted i'm a celebrity and it's still recording lol!

I'm just an amazing coder or more likely just as baffled as you as that shouldn't happen. The recording shouldn't move if the file has changed within 5 minutes of the plugin running, in other words if celebrity finished at 8:30, it shouldn't be moved until at least 8:35 or later. if the plugin ran at 8:32 it shouldn't move the recording until the next run.

Could it be the timestamp on your NAS is different to that on the boxes?, sorry no little about NAS's drives so don't know if they put their own time stamp on files or that of the device storing the file. As for it still recording in the new location, that's the most baffling bit. :)

The movie organisor plugin DOES NOT touch your timers, it doesn't even look at the timers it just looks at the files in the movies folder and organises them, no more and no less.

---------- Post Merged on 17-11-2016 at 12:06 AM ----------

I'm just an amazing coder or more likely just as baffled as you as that shouldn't happen. The recording shouldn't move if the file has changed within 5 minutes of the plugin running, in other words if celebrity finished at 8:30, it shouldn't be moved until at least 8:35 or later. if the plugin ran at 8:32 it shouldn't move the recording until the next run.

Could it be the timestamp on your NAS is different to that on the boxes?, sorry no little about NAS's drives so don't know if they put their own time stamp on files or that of the device storing the file. As for it still recording in the new location, that's the most baffling bit. :)

I guess it could be the timestamps.. but as you said.. how it's managed to carry on i have no clue.. we just watched it all the way through and theres no skips etc so it did do it flawlessly.. i'll try and test it and see if it happens with recordings on the same box the plugin is working on.

So the time on my QNAP is ahead by about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes which shouldn't set off the move... I'm not really sure how to test this easily

---------- Post Merged at 08:15 AM ----------

So, this description from Stackoverflow may explain why all is hunky dory :)

When you move a file inside the same filesystem, the file itself (the inode) isn't moved at all. The only thing that changes are the directory entries in that filesystem. (The system call invoked by mv in this case is rename(2) - check that page for additional information and restrictions.)
When a process opens a file, the filename is passed to the OS to indicate which file is meant, but the file descriptor you get back isn't linked to that name at all (you can't get back a filename from it) – it is linked to the inode.
Since the inode remains unchanged when you rename a file (inside the same filesystem), processes that have it open can happily keep reading from and writing to it – nothing changed for them, their file descriptor is still valid and pointing to the right data.
Same thing if you delete a file. Processes can keep reading and writing from it even if the file is no longer reachable through any directory entry. (This can lead to confusing situations where df reports that your disk is full, but du says you're using much less space that df reports. The blocks assigned to deleted files that are still open won't be released until those processes close their file descriptor.)
If the mv moves the file across filesystems, then the behavior is different since inodes are specific to each filesystem. In that case, mv will actually copy the data over, creating a new inode (and directory entry) on the destination filesystem. When the copy is over, the old file is unlinked, and removed ifthere are no open filehandles on it, as above.
In your case, if you had crossed a filesystem boundary, you'd have a partial file in the destination. And your upload process happily writing to a deleted file you can't easily access, possibly filling up that filesystem, until the upload finished at which point the inode would get dropped.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11818802/why-can-i-successfully-move-a-file-in-linux-while-it-is-being-written-to

Hi grog, do you have any plans to re-introduce the 12/24hours option to the plug in?

I will be revisiting it but life is taking over at the moment, it is on my 'to do' list.

---------- Post Merged at 01:05 PM ----------

So the time on my QNAP is ahead by about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes which shouldn't set off the move... I'm not really sure how to test this easily

When you move a file inside the same filesystem, the file itself (the inode) isn't moved at all. The only thing that changes are the directory entries in that filesystem. (The system call invoked by mv in this case is rename(2) - check that page for additional information and restrictions.)
When a process opens a file, the filename is passed to the OS to indicate which file is meant, but the file descriptor you get back isn't linked to that name at all (you can't get back a filename from it) – it is linked to the inode.
Since the inode remains unchanged when you rename a file (inside the same filesystem), processes that have it open can happily keep reading from and writing to it – nothing changed for them, their file descriptor is still valid and pointing to the right data.
Same thing if you delete a file. Processes can keep reading and writing from it even if the file is no longer reachable through any directory entry. (This can lead to confusing situations where df reports that your disk is full, but du says you're using much less space that df reports. The blocks assigned to deleted files that are still open won't be released until those processes close their file descriptor.)
If the mv moves the file across filesystems, then the behavior is different since inodes are specific to each filesystem. In that case, mv will actually copy the data over, creating a new inode (and directory entry) on the destination filesystem. When the copy is over, the old file is unlinked, and removed ifthere are no open filehandles on it, as above.
In your case, if you had crossed a filesystem boundary, you'd have a partial file in the destination. And your upload process happily writing to a deleted file you can't easily access, possibly filling up that filesystem, until the upload finished at which point the inode would get dropped.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11818802/why-can-i-successfully-move-a-file-in-linux-while-it-is-being-written-to

Ah that would explain it, so in theory I could stop the age check and just move files even during the recording, even though it should work, I think I'll keep it as is and move after recording has ended, apart from in your case LOL, no the 2 and a half minutes shouldn't make much of a difference, assuming the date is the same.

I will be revisiting it but life is taking over at the moment, it is on my 'to do' list.

---------- Post Merged at 01:05 PM ----------

java - Why can I successfully move a file in Linux while it is being written to? - Stack Overflow

Ah that would explain it, so in theory I could stop the age check and just move files even during the recording, even though it should work, I think I'll keep it as is and move after recording has ended, apart from in your case LOL, no the 2 and a half minutes shouldn't make much of a difference, assuming the date is the same.

yeah i agree, I wouldn't use my use case as an example of proof :) I'm happy I don't hve to worry about it, but it could also fail completely on a USB HDD.. maybe it's justbecause my NAS is handling the file system differently.. who knows :)

Guys whats the very latest version of vix that this plugin is tried and testing working on? Love the plugin, great work

I haven't read all 22 pages so please forgive me if this is already answered. Am I right in thinking this just organises the programme and when I watch them is the media player that actually plays the programme?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I haven't read all 22 pages so please forgive me if this is already answered. Am I right in thinking this just organises the programme and when I watch them is the media player that actually plays the programme?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

yes,all this does is match episodes from the same series and puts them in folders.

Hi Grog,
This is doing my head in, I cannot get MO to organise automatically, all is fine if I do it manually with the yellow button.
I have tried every hour/half hour and every 15 minutes setting also run in standby on/off but to no effect, only does
its business with the "Run Now" yellow button, so I imagine all paths are fine.

I have the latest V2.08 and I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. I am running WB V5.003.

Any ideas please?

TIA

When you change you're settings is the gui restarting when you press the green button for 'OK'?

Movie organiser has changed. When I go into recordings now it doesn't show like it used to with the blue sly background etc it's now completely different and showing as enhanced movie organiser. Is there any way to change it back or is this just the latest update?

**all sorted, I deleted the plugin and all back to normal**

Last edited:
When you change you're settings is the gui restarting when you press the green button for 'OK'?

Hi grog68,
Thanks for your reply and to answer your question, no its not restarting.

My mistake, it shouldn't restart anyway, only restarts when doing an update. doh you would think I would know that considering i wrote it lol

---------- Post Merged at 04:17 PM ----------

Movie organiser has changed. When I go into recordings now it doesn't show like it used to with the blue sly background etc it's now completely different and showing as enhanced movie organiser. Is there any way to change it back or is this just the latest update?

**all sorted, I deleted the plugin and all back to normal**

People need to remember, the file list is totally different to the Movie Organisor plugin. the MO plugin just moves your recordings into folders, File List/planner/whatever you want to call it lists the contents of the Movie folder and lets you play them, the two are separate from each other, the MO plugin does not alter the look or feel of the File list.

I'm also having the issue of not being able to see the organised folders from my Kodi box, anyone have a solution besides uninstalling movie organiser (really don't want to do this)?

Coukd it a permissions issue on the folders or something?

Hi Just wanted to say this plug in has just saved my marriage :-)

Had install probs using scripts but was pointed here it fixed old install and installed beautifully thank you so much for all the work and the wife says thank you too :-)

OK version 2.05 is available to update to.

changes :

added 12 and 24 hour to the 'run every' option
I hope to have fixed the issue bigfoot16 highlighted with the hyphenated program names but I have not got any recordings to test this on so can't confirm its working.

hi Grog - thanks for fixing the issue with titles containing the '-' character. I've tested on both woosh v4 and v5 and all working :) If you find yourself with some spare time, I'd love to see the following features added to your great plugin.

1) Option for folder to remain, even if a single file in the folder. Currently the file is moved out and folder deleted if just one file.
2) Would love the icon of the folder to change if there is one or more unwatched files in the folder. My HUMAX PVR does this (folder has a little + icon on it). Find it really useful for spotting new recordings.

cheers

Back