No satalite signal

Anth1

i have 2 sly boxes both without satalite signal in 2 different rooms ( bedroom and living room)
Bedroom has one feed living room has 2. I’ve tried all feeds nothing.

I’ve dowloaded an app for dish alignment that seems to show its bang on left to right but no idea if up and down is ok but looks it by eye.
However dish looks slightly off compared to nighbours.
The lnb looks rotated to the side so the cables don’t come straight down.
Where do I start to resolve this I’m assuming cables are good as nothing was moved before this issue it is possible the dish could have been hit by window cleaner. Is it likely the lnb has failed. Anyway to test this?

i have 2 sly boxes both without satalite signal in 2 different rooms ( bedroom and living room)
Bedroom has one feed living room has 2. I’ve tried all feeds nothing.

I’ve dowloaded an app for dish alignment that seems to show its bang on left to right but no idea if up and down is ok but looks it by eye.
However dish looks slightly off compared to nighbours.
The lnb looks rotated to the side so the cables don’t come straight down.
Where do I start to resolve this I’m assuming cables are good as nothing was moved before this issue it is possible the dish could have been hit by window cleaner. Is it likely the lnb has failed. Anyway to test this?
When was window cleaner round could have been slightly knocked have you tried swapping cables around are you running any extensions to the sky cables

I take it this dish was working fine yesterday.?
1mm down here is a mile in space, so saying it looks ok, isnt really a good enough accuracy, [but I know where you are coming from ]
if all was ok on both boxes, and suddenly not working on either now, I'd deffo say a dish or LNB issue, [but unusual for all outputs to fail at once ]
so more likely a dish alignment problem
the LNB is slightly offset as standard, its not dead vertical

When was window cleaner round could have been slightly knocked have you tried swapping cables around are you running any extensions to the sky cables
Window cleaner was round this week but to be honest I use iptv mostly with the dish as a backup for freebies in both rooms. So could have been off weeks and I wouldn’t know. As said I have 3 feeds from the lnb and no signal on all of them

I take it this dish was working fine yesterday.?
1mm down here is a mile in space, so saying it looks ok, isnt really a good enough accuracy, [but I know where you are coming from ]
if all was ok on both boxes, and suddenly not working on either now, I'd deffo say a dish or LNB issue, [but unusual for all outputs to fail at once ]
so more likely a dish alignment problem
the LNB is slightly offset as standard, its not dead vertical
So worth finding some laders and moving the dish? I don’t want to make it worse moving dish if the lnb has failed

So worth finding some laders and moving the dish? I don’t want to make it worse moving dish if the lnb has failed
Have you tried stripping lnbs back to the boxes and redoing them see if that helps mate before using ladders and moving dish

this is a good a reason as any as to why put your area in your profile,
if another member nearby had an LNB they may be willing to lend it to you to try
I dont see how you can make it worse, it doesnt work, so at worst, its still not going to work

Have you tried stripping lnbs back to the boxes and redoing them see if that helps mate before using ladders and moving dish
You mean redoing the fittings on the lnb cable? I’ve tried 3 cables from separate feeds on the lnb one being factory fitted ends. I don’t think 3 cables Would go faulty ?

this is a good a reason as any as to why put your area in your profile,
if another member nearby had an LNB they may be willing to lend it to you to try
I dont see how you can make it worse, it doesnt work, so at worst, its still not going to work
Great idea but being new no idea how to do that I will when I have a little more time but for anybody interested it’s washington Tyne and Wear

Great idea but being new no idea how to do that I will when I have a little more time but for anybody interested it’s washington Tyne and Wear
its when you do your profile,
but, its by the by, too far for me,
I'd still be more inclined to think dish moved slightly as I think LNB completely failing on all 3 outputs completely at the same time is unlikely,
but, then again, we cant be sure it did that, as you dont use sat all the time, so this fail could have happened over time,,,,,,, so I'm now unsure if its LNB failure or dish move,
have you got ladders,? elevation could be checked, shoiuld be about 24 degrees for 28,2e [ sky ]

its when you do your profile,
but, its by the by, too far for me,
I'd still be more inclined to think dish moved slightly as I think LNB completely failing on all 3 outputs completely at the same time is unlikely,
but, then again, we cant be sure it did that, as you dont use sat all the time, so this fail could have happened over time,,,,,,, so I'm now unsure if its LNB failure or dish move,
have you got ladders,? elevation could be checked, shoiuld be about 24 degrees for 28,2e [ sky ]
At least one of my living room feeds was ok in November as that’s when I reflashed my box.
When you say elavation I assume you mean up and down ? Is there marks on the dish or arm? Sorry not had to align a dish before

TBH, you have a few things to check, the elevation of dish, LNB skew, if switching has failed, lnb may not be getting power. If you feel up to it,you can have a go, given the time of year, you probably want to get it sorted, I know it may not be what you want to hear but dish installer might be the prudent option . If you look on youtube there are many videos on erecting & alligning dish etc, there should even be a sly one, just to give you an idea of whats involved

Last edited:
TBH, you have a few things to check, the elevation of dish, LNB skew, if switching has failed, lnb may not be getting power. If you feel up to it,you can have a go, given the time of year, you probably want to get it sorted, I know it may not be what you want to hear but dish installer might be the prudent option . If you look on youtube there are many videos on erecting & alligning dish etc, there should even be a sly one, just to give you an idea of whats involved
That lot just went over my head but I’m hear to learn.
Lnb power comes from the box I believe and I’ve had 2 boxes on it.
I’m in no hurry as I mainly use iptv and the sly freeview as backup
I think after Christmas I need to hunt out a set of ladders and move it and see what happens

At least one of my living room feeds was ok in November as that’s when I reflashed my box.
When you say elavation I assume you mean up and down ? Is there marks on the dish or arm? Sorry not had to align a dish before
ye,
elevation is up & down , there should be a scale on the side of the dish,
LNB skew, the angle of the LNB, doesnt make a huge difference, its like fine tuning, if its half close it wont lose you all signal, you should still get most channels, if not all, especially on a sky minidish, its not so crucial
a couple of mm out on the up/down, or sideways will mean the difference between getting a good signal, or no signal at all.

you're right the lnb is powered from boxes, but it may not be drawing power, the lnb skew is the rotational position of lnb usually setting 3 for sly, but it differs from area, the dish elevation also has a bearing on this, if the dish itself is out by as little as half a degree, you could lose up to 40% of coverage.I didn't mean to confuse you, just trying to point out options, take a look at the youtube vids, I wish they existed when I had to allign an old sky analogue dish for a neighbour back in 1990, no sat meter , no phone apps a fun time was had by all

So if I set the elevation to 24 degrees via the marker on the dish then have somebody look at the signal meter screen I should be able to set it up? Assuming my lnb hadn’t failed?

yes, once the elevation & rotational lnb skew are correct , if elevation is off then skew can't be right, both are important regardless, by all means give it a shot, but the professional route rather than what google tells , is the simplest way,pro installer will have you done very quickly

So if I set the elevation to 24 degrees via the marker on the dish then have somebody look at the signal meter screen I should be able to set it up? Assuming my lnb hadn’t failed?
depending on your exact location,
my elevation is 24.2 degrees, I'm guessing you at 24, being slightly north, and, tbh, should be close enough to get signal on a sky minidish and the accuracy of the scale,
LNB skew is NOT that important for finding signal, worry about that for fine tuning on sly with a minidish, my skew for 28 , 19 , and 13 has been guessed on my dish, so it is NOT as important as elevation or direction.
I'd try and run a cable outside with a TV so you can see signal levels as ypu move dish,
mil at a time, and give it a few seconds in between to let it settle before moving it again,
mark the pole at start location to give yourself a reference point to go back to

yes, once the elevation & rotational lnb skew are correct , if elevation is off then skew can't be right, both are important regardless, by all means give it a shot, but the professional route rather than what google tells , is the simplest way,pro installer will have you done very quickly
Don’t really want to pay the £60 plus price tag for something I use as a backup

Back