Peugeot 308 1st Gear Juddering

dt99

TK Veteran
Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI judders in 1st gear, like a new driver who has no clutch control, very slight juddering in 2nd, nothing in all other gears.

However, if you drive the car with no-one else in it, the juddering stops or is very faint at worst.

Add passengers, whether these be adults or kids, even just 1 and the juddering starts again. You can feel it underneath the car, towards the centre.

Is this a bad clutch/DMF would you think?

Garage is going to have a look tomorrow, but I would rather not be ripped off for a 1k bill.

Also, with the car on tickover you can hear a faint whirring noise from the engine, press the clutch pedal and it goes away, is this just co-incidence or does this confirm a clutch fault.

The car is a 14 reg and has only done 36k miles, so a faulty clutch/DMF is a joke!

The whirring noise will almost certainly be the clutch release bearing has gone dry and will fail at some point but my old ford focus mk1 has the same noise and its been like this for many years without problem.
As for the clutch judder my neighbours lexus is200 does the same but its not got a dmf its a solid one etc.
It could be the start of the dmf failure but would be really premature i would of thought with such low mileage but hard to know for 100% sure till gearbox removed for inspection etc.

Thanks @rs500nutter, appreciate the advice. Is there anything else that springs to mind that could cause the juddering?

The car is otuside of warranty, but I am arguing my case with Peugeot. We bought it at 3 years old and got a 12 month warranty, so we are about 8 months outside it now. In that time it had a new fuel pump, new electric window regulators all round, various air con parts, a steering fault plus various other smaller problems, so I'm arguing that the car is not fit for purpose and I want it fixed for free.

The juddering could also be contamination on the clutch plate ie oil seal leaking on the crank or gearbox but unless its very visible its hard to know for sure etc.
With the sounds of things you have had a right bunch of considerable faults and i would say you have reasonable grounds for a fit for purpose complaint

One other thing does anyone else drive the car who tends to ride the clutch etc it could well be the clutch plate itself has worn prematurely etc see a lot of these in driving instructor cars etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
One other thing does anyone else drive the car who tends to ride the clutch etc it could well be the clutch plate itself has worn prematurely etc see a lot of these in driving instructor cars etc.

No, there are only 2 of us that drive it and none of us do that. The local garage is going to have a look tomorrow. It's weird how the juddering does not happen if you are the only person in the car, just the driver, as soon as a 2nd person gets in, the juddering starts, it's like the weight presses on something.

Peugeot are refusing to pay, clutch is not covered by any warranty. They said take us to court, you won't win, after I threatened to sue them, I had lost my temper at this point!!

If it's the clutch and DMF they want £1400!!!! They will diagnose it for free though....nice of them.

Taking it to my local Indy tomorrow, been using him for years and I trust him.

Yeah they will defend this as a wear and tear item typical dealer response im afraid and hopefully its only premature wear on the clutch plate etc but you might get advised to have the dmf changed at the same time to avoid negative labour costs should it fail very shortly and having to have the gearbox removed again etc.

If it's only just starting to wear, no clutch slipping and it doesn't do it all of the time, how long would you expect it to last? I can't afford it right now, but I need the car every day for work etc.

Neighbours lexus has been like it for the best part of the whole year and probably about 25k mileage but its a petrol car with less bottom end torque than your car etc wish i could give you more than that but sadly i cant mate :(:grin:

As i remember dmf issues give vibration and when revs go up it goes out of it.

Interesting, I'm getting no vibration through the clutch pedal or the car in general, just the juddering when pulling away in 1st. I'll see what the garage comes up with tomorrow.

I also get a judder while taking off in first gear and know its clutch related and no dmf but only in first.

Yeah you usually get some kind of vibration when the car is idling when the dreaded dmf failure is iminent but its anyones guess when they totally fail and can run for many miles until then but as you have none of the tell tale signs its looking hopeful of a less expensive repair etc

Totally failed with the sounds of it lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so i'm back again with the juddering Peugeot 308. It still judders in 1st gear, not all the time, but it seems to get worse if you have been sat in traffic. New problem though, sometimes when going from 4th into 5th the rear of the car judders, almost like a new learner who is in too high a gear...….does this 2nd problem point to a clutch/dmf fault?

Ok, so i'm back again with the juddering Peugeot 308. It still judders in 1st gear, not all the time, but it seems to get worse if you have been sat in traffic. New problem though, sometimes when going from 4th into 5th the rear of the car judders, almost like a new learner who is in too high a gear...….does this 2nd problem point to a clutch/dmf fault?
My dad's corsa did same and took it garage and they said it was clutch if I remember rightly or something to do with it releasing either too fast or too slow I can always ask him and let you know mate

Back