Recover Dead Skybox Flash Using Serial RS232 Null modem Cable

Firmware change unsuccessful

Try another firmware.
Reaper.
Thank you for a speedy response. I have tried many versions of the firmware without success. Having looked a little closer it would seem that the step before connecting the power seems to be producing a different outcome. The 'Synchronising STB's ... Please reset target!' moves from that to showing 'done' and then the 'Set stb memory' error message. All before I have connected the power. Seems odd. Any suggestions?

I have a problem with my Skybox F5S, i bought this: www amazon.es/gp/product/B00F4MGXR8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and www pccomponentes.com/cable_null_modem_1_8m_db9_h_h.html and now i connect with my desktop and start to download but when its trying to burning is failed...

why?

Hi, im getting the Set stb memory' error message when trying to recover my skybox f3, any ideas please. Going to try dowload the SKYBOX F3 E001 fix, hopefully it works

---------- Post Merged at 12:05 PM ----------

Hi Reaper,

Im new to this forum but read the last few posts. RS232 cable is brought from the ebay link posted
If there is no red dim light when connected to the power or RS232 lead is the skybox f3 bricked and dead?
There is a noise from the skybox when the power lead is connected and switched on.
I tried a number of firmware's and eroms from different sources but still getting the Set stb memory' error message.
Is there any other solution?

is there a erom upgrade tool for a openbox v8 pro combo as my box keeps powering on and off and cant get to menu thanks ian

There is no available channel list as boxes use bin files not .dbs or .abs files.
You make your own list by transferring from main channel screen to favourites.
Reaper.

There is no available channel list as boxes use bin files not .dbs or .abs files.
You make your own list by transferring from main channel screen to favourites.
Reaper.

Thank reaper, would you have a version I can upload on to the box? I uploaded a channel list from freesat.cn seemed to worked but not all in correct order as it was for v7 HD.
Would you know who to correct the epg, it's all muddled up and doesn't give the correct information.
Is softcam.key file required for UK users, can you explain what it is for me in laymans terms please.

You do not need to use softcam file plus the v7 hd files and v7 max files are not repeat not compatible thats why your box is all askew.
Reaper

PS--please can you leave this thread and use the Freesat V8 seris thread in openbox forum as this thread is for recovery of dead skyboxes etc..

Last edited:
firmware upgrade issue file mismatch error, I have seen this on many forums now and users are being told to flash their F5 boxes with a RS232 null modem cable which could render their boxes unusable.
I have down loaded this firmware (SKYBOX_F3_M3_F5_3601HD_CMT_130327079B) from 3 different sites and when I try to upgrade get, file mismatch.

I have found this site HDDVBSW.C** and downloaded their latest firmware (SKYBOX F5 _3601HD_CMT_130327) and had no issues with upgrading, it would seem that my F5 box could be a clone as original firmware does not work.

I would like this forum and others to recognize that there are 2 different firmware upgrades available.......thanks

that website not available now..do you have another website

Hi, I have also the problem with "Solovox F5S plus", it maks always a bootloop.

Than I make a uprade with RS232 cabel it maks the error "set stb memory error"

[h=1]Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev D Chipset) adapter is recommended for a trouble free erom/software upgrade. Which version of drivers would let this adapter work nicely on Windows 10?[/h]

Hi simposonhf.
I own a clone skybox f5d ali 3601 hd and after one year working perfectly is starting to reboot every minute...
I have tried to upload at least 10 new files but any of them suit my clone. Most of file are too big or mismatching.
The original software (silly me that I have no back up) was 3601hd_26_03_2014_0A5F
Could you help me????
Thanks!!!

Back