Should I change

red90

Hi was just wondering how much better is blade 5000s than the skybox f5 and should I make the swap

it is a better. however, it is a closed source box. you are better off with the vu range which are open source. or a octagon sf8

Main differences,

Generally, overall a better build quality.

Channel updates through blade online, just press a button on the remote, no more AJ's and USB sticks.

7 Day EPG (still getting ironed out, few bugs with firmware)

One button timer recording function, so you don't have to type in Date, Channel, Duration etc.

Thats basically the differences.

Thanks for the replies

Is the box hard to set up initially? The f5 was pretty simple, put your line in and presto lol

i dont think it is. Bees will tell you all about it. from what i have read it is easier.

looking at buying a blade 5000 ,can you record without having to watch the same channel ? , ive been having various problems with the skybox f5s.
It seems to be one thing after another,so looking at having a change.
although it could be me as i am complete noob and computer illiterate !!!

Last edited:
can you record without having to watch the same channel ?

It's a single tuner receiver so unless the channels are on the same tranponder(which is unlikely),you won't be able to record one channel whilst watching another. You'd need a twin tuner box for that feature.

Is the box hard to set up initially? The f5 was pretty simple, put your line in and presto

Yeah, it's pretty straight forward like the skyboxes.

Just load some new firmware then do a quick channel search and put in your line.

It's all step by step in the tutorial.

I like the box. EPG is a bit clunky for me but otherwise I've been impressed and so glad I spent the extra £30 or so on this instead of the skybox. Bees' tutorial makes setting up a doddle (Unless you choose a night where Blade online is down like I did)

Yeh I think im defiantly going to make the change..... dies the remote work better than the f5 lol well actually that cudnt be hard lol

The box needs to be turned onto standby mode "normal" instead of "power save"

When on "power save" the box slow boots from standby
and you think it's a problem with the remote, still got the blisters from pressing the buttons lol

Back