Sky price changes

userlee5267

TK Veteran
Hello

Sky have recently upped my fibre and TV package which is very basic with netflix.

It's gone from £45 to £70.

I was always under the impression I could cancel after a price rise. They have told me no chance if I do it's going to cost me to cancel.

I have until November untily fibre contract ends.

I've been made redundant and I've had to take on a lower paid job now. A lot less

But they won't even take that into consideration 😔. All they have tried to do is add HD and UHD for free for 2 months then pay another £20 a month. After telling them I need to spend less

Is this right

I am not 100% but you have a contract with them for £45 a month and they are now changing that said contract, so I am almost certain that you can cancel it as you do not agree with the changes to what was initially agreed. I am sure someone here will have been through this scenario, I know you can cancel with Virgin if they change the contract mid contract period. I hope someone can help you having been through this situation mate, good luck.

I am not 100% but you have a contract with them for £45 a month and they are now changing that said contract, so I am almost certain that you can cancel it as you do not agree with the changes to what was initially agreed. I am sure someone here will have been through this scenario, I know you can cancel with Virgin if they change the contract mid contract period. I hope someone can help you having been through this situation mate, good luck.

If you're a Sky Broadband customer​

Whether in contract of outside of it, when you received notification that prices were going up, you will have had the opportunity to switch within 30 days of the notification without incurring any early-exit penalties. This is an Ofcom regulation which Sky must abide by – it would likely not allow this were it not forced to.

If you're a Sky TV or bundle customer​

The rules for broadband and TV do differ, though. And the rules that apply to bundles including both are the TV rules, not the broadband rules. So if you have a TV package from Sky either on its own or along with a broadband connection, you will have signed a contract allowing Sky to increase the price of your package annually by up to 10% without triggering the get-out-of-jail-free card.

Last edited:
It looks like there's been a mistake, either by sky or by you.
Their bills were set to go up by approx 8.1%
Yours has gone up by 40%

Tell them you are stopping the direct debit and see what they say

If you're a Sky Broadband customer​

Whether in contract of outside of it, when you received notification that prices were going up, you will have had the opportunity to switch within 30 days of the notification without incurring any early-exit penalties. This is an Ofcom regulation which Sky must abide by – it would likely not allow this were it not forced to.

If you're a Sky TV or bundle customer​

The rules for broadband and TV do differ, though. And the rules that apply to bundles including both are the TV rules, not the broadband rules. So if you have a TV package from Sky either on its own or along with a broadband connection, you will have signed a contract allowing Sky to increase the price of your package annually by up to 10% without triggering the get-out-of-jail-free card.
I guess he could argue that £45 - £70 is more than "up to 10%".

His offer may have expired, that maybe the correct price for his current contract. It may have been £45 for for the first 12 months on a 18 month contract then after 12 months it reverts to the advertised price?
Without knowing the deal its all guess work

This is from cable website in March

Sky price rise examples​

Package/bundleCurrent pricePlus 8.1%
Sky Broadband Superfast£26 p/m£28.11 p/m
Sky Broadband Ultrafast£30 p/m£32.43 p/m
Sky Broadband Gigafast£54.50 p/m£58.91 p/m
Sky TV + Broadband Superfast£42 p/m£45.40 p/m
Sky TV + Broadband Ultrafast£50 p/m£54.05 p/m
Sky Complete TV + Broadband£106 p/m£114.59 p/m

This is from cable website in March

Sky price rise examples​

Package/bundleCurrent pricePlus 8.1%
Sky Broadband Superfast£26 p/m£28.11 p/m
Sky Broadband Ultrafast£30 p/m£32.43 p/m
Sky Broadband Gigafast£54.50 p/m£58.91 p/m
Sky TV + Broadband Superfast£42 p/m£45.40 p/m
Sky TV + Broadband Ultrafast£50 p/m£54.05 p/m
Sky Complete TV + Broadband£106 p/m£114.59 p/m
Sorry yes I had deals on both. but seems I was paying over the bloody odds anyway. I don't get how they do this.

I'm being charged the same price for the giga connection nearly and I've only got 500mb that's with a ten pound discount. £43 a month

And I'm getting ultimate tv add on 7 pound a month. Not sure what this is

Plus TV at £23 which is really just basic shit TV
Total £73 a month

Looks like I'm being overcharged for the broadband says I get a discount on that of £10 so it would be £53 a month

which is nearly £10 overpriced without the discount

Yeah sky are crafty as hell with pricing especially when it comes to bundle's etc.
They offer you tv packages at discounted prices but if you cancel the add on's you also loose discount's on your phone and broadband packages ffs 😲😲😲😲😲😲

I had an issue with Sky approx 2 1/2 years back, they said gave me one offer on the phone and applied another. I told them to listen to the call as they record everything (not sure how long they keep this). It took them a month to sort it out, and they finally applied the offer provided on the phone. I wouldn't say I won as I ended up signing up for another 18 months. :LOL: However, the deal was ridiculously cheap, which is why there were so reluctant to honour it. Most likely some idiot in their call centre gave me a fake offer so that he could meet his year end targets.

Sky did do something back for the TV package at least during Covid times, where you could pause/cancel your subscription if you had lost your job. I am not sure if that still exists.

Manic is most likely right, they probably only applied offers for the first 12 months. Have a look back at the email confirmations for when you signed up to the offer.

I'm being charged the same price for the giga connection nearly and I've only got 500mb that's with a ten pound discount. £43 a month

And I'm getting ultimate tv add on 7 pound a month. Not sure what this is

Plus TV at £23 which is really just basic shit TV
Total £73 a month
Like I said, there's a mistake been made.
Sky TV and ultrafast BB is £50 per month in the table above.
So if you were on this, with a discount, which brought it down to £43, they are now charging you the £43 just for BB, then adding on TWO TV packages, ultimate TV and Plus TV, this is NOT what you signed for.
Just cancel the direct debit

Like I said, there's a mistake been made.
Sky TV and ultrafast BB is £50 per month in the table above.
So if you were on this, with a discount, which brought it down to £43, they are now charging you the £43 just for BB, then adding on TWO TV packages, ultimate TV and Plus TV, this is NOT what you signed for.
Just cancel the direct debit
Cancelling a direct debit wont free him from a contract, he needs to sort the issue out.

Virgin does something like this, it sounds as though it might have been something an 18-month contract where they give you a reduced contract for 12 months and then for the last 6 months, the prices rises.
1688637042481.png

Hello

Sky have recently upped my fibre and TV package which is very basic with netflix.

It's gone from £45 to £70.

I was always under the impression I could cancel after a price rise. They have told me no chance if I do it's going to cost me to cancel.

I have until November untily fibre contract ends.

I've been made redundant and I've had to take on a lower paid job now. A lot less

But they won't even take that into consideration 😔. All they have tried to do is add HD and UHD for free for 2 months then pay another £20 a month. After telling them I need to spend less

Is this right
I would ask them how much the cancelation fee is for the last 4 months of your contract…..probably less then what you will be paying for the actual package for the last 4 months of your contract in total.
Sky are arses for saying this amount for 18 months then after the 12 charging you full price we’ve had it with them.
We also had them put us into a new contract when we stated we didn’t want one and got to leave for free as the agent lied and said there was no contract when they was and we had stated we didn’t want a contract

Got in contact today they said yes the prices shown above are for new customers only.

Said I'd cancel the direct debit. They said not to do that and they can do it all for the price above.

Tried to sell me mobile phones the lot.. .

As soon as I wouldn't add anything else they said oh hang on I can't actually give you that offer

Best I can do it what you have on a new 18month contract for £75.

I actually think there thick as that's more than I'm paying now.

Give up with them they said if I can actually show them a deal off there sky website with a offer better than I'm getting they could be able to give it me.

But I can't find anything remotely the same as I have

Got in contact today they said yes the prices shown above are for new customers only.

Said I'd cancel the direct debit. They said not to do that and they can do it all for the price above.

Tried to sell me mobile phones the lot.. .

As soon as I wouldn't add anything else they said oh hang on I can't actually give you that offer

Best I can do it what you have on a new 18month contract for £75.

I actually think there thick as that's more than I'm paying now.

Give up with them they said if I can actually show them a deal off there sky website with a offer better than I'm getting they could be able to give it me.

But I can't find anything remotely the same as I have
They know you wouldn’t find a deal matching or close to what you have personally I would ask what the early termination fee would be for the remainder of the months then add the total what you would pay each month and see which would be best suited for you and go elsewhere

As soon as you mentioned cancelling the DD they sh!t their pants, they know it's practically impossible to get anything out of you without an active DD.
I don't know why people panic about these empty threats, there's almost zero chance of anyone knocking on the door, and if someone does, you just say, ' oh him, yeah he died / moved out / went to Australia about six months ago'

Back