Skybox F3 Setup What Do I Need?

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
I am considering getting an F3 satellite box, but I would like some help with making my mind up. I don't have a dish already, so I need to know is there a particular type/size I need. Would getting a motorized dish be overkill?
Does it only need to be pointing at the Sky (astra) satellite?
Can anyone recommend a dish?
can anyone recommend where to get the equipment from?
Wireless or lan cable?
Finally, about how much does a cline cost for a year?
I am in Dublin, can anyone recommend a dish installer (I don't fancy getting up on the roof)
Thanks in advance
Wheelo.

F3,4,5 are all pretty much the same but different styles.

Zone 2 (Std Sky Dish should do you)
Or a 80 - 90 cm Freesat type dish.

Lincsat are very helpful.
HTML:
http://www.lincsat.co.uk/

You might not need them if 6-10 comes out tonight !!!

Lan or if your router is in a different room to your telly
use a pair of home plugs, the speed doesn't make any
difference so don't spend extra on fast ones.

Clines vary, if you go too cheap, you get glitchy TV.
I pay about £75 per year but get Setanta ireland (3pm sat footy)
and primetime boxing thrown in, and it's a very good line.

Sorry can't recommend an installer, im in Liverpool
I will PM the line detail.

HD boxes are ace !

Good luck for Tonights Draw !!!(y)

Well 11 came out (I think) congratulations dman, so it looks like I am going to have to buy one. :boo:

How is this Shopping list??

1 Satellite dish - quad lnb > >Powercity Electrical - SAORVIEW LCD LED Internet Tablets Laptops Washers Fridges Cookers €49.95

2 wall bracket €15 from same supplier ^

3 Skybox F3 > >Skybox F3 HD Satellite Receiver, DC Receivers £54.99 (€65)

4 10M LAN cable > > Network (Lan) Cable (10 metre), DC Receivers £4.99 (€6)

And get whoever is getting on my roof to run cable to box. I just got an e mail from a guy who says he will supply a dish and fit it/ run cable for €70-90.

also a Cline, from whoever, for about £75 per year. €151 + €88 for Cline. Have I covered all the bases?

Thanks for your help so far.

Yeah,sounds about right,
If you get stuck with putting
the line in your box, just post
an we will get you sorted

By the way Whohooo !!!!! dman, GET IN !!!!!!

Well done, and happy viewing !!!!!

Last edited:
Well 11 came out (I think) congratulations dman, so it looks like I am going to have to buy one. :boo:

How is this Shopping list??

1 Satellite dish - quad lnb > >Powercity Electrical - SAORVIEW LCD LED Internet Tablets Laptops Washers Fridges Cookers €49.95

2 wall bracket €15 from same supplier ^

3 Skybox F3 > >Skybox F3 HD Satellite Receiver, DC Receivers £54.99 (€65)

4 10M LAN cable > > Network (Lan) Cable (10 metre), DC Receivers £4.99 (€6)

And get whoever is getting on my roof to run cable to box. I just got an e mail from a guy who says he will supply a dish and fit it/ run cable for €70-90.

also a Cline, from whoever, for about £75 per year. €151 + €88 for Cline. Have I covered all the bases?

Thanks for your help so far.
cheaper dish and quad here with bracket Sky / Freesat MK4 Satellite Dish with Quad LNB - LASTEST DESIGN - Fast Delivery | eBay

Last edited:
Thanks Reaper for the cheaper dish+bracket, just one question, as this is only a 60cm dish, is it big enough as bees says above that a 80-90cm freesat dish would be best. I see that it is advertised as a SKY dish also, so that may be my answer.
Any info (from Anyone ) appreciated as I have ordered the Skybox (I didn't hang around after the lost drawlol) this evening as well as a 10m LAN lead.
Thanks Gang
Wheelo.

no a zone 2 dish is perfect for sky im using one for sky uk and another for sky germany and i get perfect pictures from both in all weathers and im in glasgow i went to e... got a zone 2 dish plus fixing kit ie bolts cables connectors for £26 quid so shop about oh and got free delivery

Sky Type Zone 2 dish is fine,

When I meant 90 cm free sat I meant a standard round dish
like this.

HTML:
http://satsecure.co.uk/satellite-dish/233-maxx-digital-solid-satellite-dish.html

Either type will work

Wheelo u also dont have to fit it on your roof or high up,as long as there is not anything in the way it will work.dont use tv coax.

I read the signal comes in to the dish at about
45 degrees, so as long as nothing is in the way
it doesn't have to be high as Tornado said.

Wheelo as your about to go on the roof... make sure that ladder is footed.. your wearing your full fall arrest harness.. ladder is tethered at the top... hard hat... gloves..safety glasses.. ear defenders...we dont want no injuries..or elf and safety on our case..!! And happy viewing

by time u get all that gear on it be dark and your be off that ladder before u get half way up lol and if your near a airport dont forget to put a light on top off your dish.

not putting a light on it, a plane nearly landed on a 15 story tower because it had " landing lights" on it.

as for getting on a roof - NAH Leave it to the professionals

Okay so the F3 arrived, got a guy to fit the dish, and run cables to two rooms - Excellent.

now the fun begins,

How do I know that it is set up properly, I have a picture (clear as day) I can record, but how do I know that I have the ethernet connected correctly and that there is a signal from it?

I have found a site that gives out one day servers, (c line versions), but when I tried to load one of these , the message on screen is :
Now reading .../Cccam.cfg
Cccam.cfg not found!
Read all finished!

It looks like the box is not finding the file, but I suppose that it could be that there is no internet connection, due to me not setting it up correctly. do I have to do anything with the settings after plugging in the ethernet ccable??

the prosess I went through to make the .cfg file is that I formatted the flash drive to FAT 32, then opened a notepad blank document, copied and pasted the line, then clicked "save as" and called it "CCcam.cfg", then clicked save to USB stick.

Am I missing any steps? have I missed something?

Cheers in advance as I am bound to have a hell of a lot more posts about this lol

I have had a couple of boxes not load using "notepad"

Got the same message.

It works fine from "wordpad". I will change my post in the
tutorial only found out the other day, while setting
up my sisters, then my mates.

You need to load the file then reboot the box.

It doesn't matter if the internet is connected at this point or not.

You can enter it manually if you get stuck

Instead of the update by USB use the next option
which is manage files.

The remote acts like texting on a mobile
if you look at the buttons.

the instructions are here

Last edited:
I tried it with both with same results. A very kind person around here gave me a line to manually input. I did so and it still isn't going.

Now I realise that it is probably something terribly simple that I am overlooking, in fact it could be the null modem thing all over again lol

When I go into network settings it says lan is connected. Think like a noob and see what you come up with. (y)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Glad to here your up and running

Have a look at post 25 in the tutorial
this has been driving me nuts for a few hours
but i'm pretty sure this is why it wouldn't load.

Give us a mo i'm just going to edit it

Back