[Someone help] Adding a black transparent background border on DSayers OpenATV

XSONY_NGUX

TK Veteran
I wana update my firmware from OpenVix to official OpenATV.

I am not going to update until i figure out how i can add a black transparent background for the subtitles so they can be read with ease.

From knowledge, is there any way you could change them using the skin.xml or a subtitles.xml?

Assistance for this would be great and useful.

Thanks.

I've been speaking to someone about borders on subtitles try text 888

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ok and from research i found that looking in usr/share/enigma2

You have a skin_default which has a line somewhere saying 'SubtitleDisplay' and the background is set by default as transparent, so if that is changed to 'TranspBlack'

<color name="transpBlack" value="#80000000"/>

adding this at the top within <colors> code </colors>

and the <screen name="SubtitleDisplay" position="0,0" size="1280,720" zPosition="-1" flags="wfNoBorder" backgroundColor="transparent"/>

after reboot may also make the subtitles have a black background border after checking the vix's skin_default.

It will just depend if OpenATV have a similar code which i hope they do within there skin_default.xml

Last edited:
here you go I pressed text then 888

View attachment 20152

I can just then press text to turn it on or off
True but with them they can't be positioned, i wanted the transparent black version as you have the ability to move them.

Second thing is you gotta always go on text 888 which is annoying as the dvb version always show on

Last edited:
On most channels you have 2 options for subtitles.
Dvb which has the black background. And teletext that doesn't.

When you press subtitles just choose the correct one.
Once subtitles are active, pressing subtitle button again will then bring up the subtitle menu, where you can press red button and further tweak your subtitles

On most channels you have 2 options for subtitles.
Dvb which has the black background. And teletext that doesn't.

When you press subtitles just choose the correct one.
Once subtitles are active, pressing subtitle button again will then bring up the subtitle menu, where you can press red button and further tweak your subtitles
I am aware of what you are saying, the one i need is teletext with a black transparent background, on OpenATV you don't get a black transparent background but OpenVix you do.

I have pressed subtitle and from OpenVix they got an extra feature called 'black transparent background = yes/no" when pressing red on after pressing subtitle button which isn't included on OpenATV.

( an example can be for sly movies to test with )

Is there a way of coding this via the usr/share/enigma2 directories?

Last edited:
Ive just checked you can increase/reduce the transparency

If you mean subtitle border width that's not what i want to do as the higher you do it, the sharper it gets which can be bad for your eyes.

If you do it 2/3/4 still looks rubbish and hard to read if the tv scene is light

That's why i'm looking for a black transp background.

Last edited:
No you have an option dvb subtitle black transparency
eef8931d68ad0719968ff9dfd24a68db.jpg

No you have an option dvb subtitle black transparency
eef8931d68ad0719968ff9dfd24a68db.jpg

I meant teletext subtitles mate sorry about that...

if you go on a sly cinema (try one without black top and bottom banners) and you don't get a background for them to edit the tranparency or add a black background apart from using the text method 888.

you have to keep enabling them via text 888

on openvix the telext subtitles had a black transparent background on all channels even dvb / teletext so thats what im looking for... As they automatically be enabled without having to keep pressing text 888

Last edited:
As I said post 4 is the code for vix it just needs the edits adding to openatv

With you now. Certain channels dont have the dvb option only teletext.
Yup comedy central is another channel i use which has only teletex like sly cinema.

if you revert to the image of openvix, you'll see the telext AND the dvb subtitles have a black transparent background which look really good so i really want them on official openATV (since zgemma used patched openvix)

---------- Post Merged at 06:08 PM ----------

As I said post 4 is the code for vix it just needs the edits adding to openatv

Please can you help me add the code to the correct destinations on openATV or upload the modded open vix subs that have been implemented to openATV?

I will be very thankful for your help and support

Last edited:
If i revert to openvix (you having a laugh :))
The fullset of subtitle options are in setup... Audio.. Subtitles. Its not in there so there is no easy way to do it. You would have to source the correct python file for vix and make the amends to the atv python file. I dont even know what file this would live in

The fullset of subtitle options are in setup... Audio.. Subtitles. Its not in there so there is no easy way to do it. You would have to source the correct python file for vix and make the amends to the atv python file. I dont even know what file this would live in
Post 4?

lmao sorry im aware you use the slyk 4k image lol

please take a loook at post 4 via DSayers github maybe you can help me

i'll buy a beer via donations if you can help me with this

Oh great :( Guess these python's are venomous, guess i'm gonna have to revert to OpenVix again ��

---------- Post Merged at 06:33 PM ----------

Post 4 is the entire background. I.e it will cover the entire screen

Can i ask how you edit a python file?

/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens there is a subtitledisplay.pyo so im guessing this may need amending from openvix onto openatv possibly

Last edited:
You edit the py versions so google openatv subtitledisplay.py github copy all the text and past in Notepad then google openvix subtitledisplay.py github copy and paste the contents into notpad originally I was comparing them side by side and doing edits then kiddac directed me to winmerge that will show you the difference between the two

Back