Uk users a warning...

peapod

Hi Guys

Please read this thread.

01-06-2015 23-26-54.jpg

I tested my lead and it was indeed one of the faulty ones reported. The way I tested it was to remove the fuse and attempt to power up the unit...and my Zgemma powered up without the fuse!

Replace the figure of 8 lead ASAP!

This should be stickied!

Last edited by a moderator:
no surprise there ,think i mentioned a number of times where is the safety built in ,these boxes dont need a 13amp fuse,maybe a 3amp at most.

My gemma s2 clock stays on for quite a bit after unplugging from the mains. VuSolo2 display goes off straight away.

I've just removed the fuse and my zgemma still powers up! This is a serious safety issue and needs to be reported to trading standards.

Thanks to peapod for highlighting this.

Last edited:
depends if you want hd on cable only just got an xtrend 8000 with twin cable tuners ,could add another tuner sat or cable.buying from a company like wos safety is built in and not fire hazzards that many have bought.

plenty of new models cheaper in price,no harm having a look at good boxes on wos to show whats out there.

depends if you want hd on cable only just got an xtrend 8000 with twin cable tuners ,could add another tuner sat or cable.buying from a company like wos safety is built in and not fire hazzards that many have bought.

plenty of new models cheaper in price,no harm having a look at good boxes on wos to show whats out there.
. Thank you. It's nice to know what options are available.

Hell peapod - fuel his fire why don't you!!! (pardon the pun lol)

Take a look at your mobile phone charger plug, plastic earth pin??? Yes, Hairdryer - yes that has one two. Just have a look around your house and you'll find lots of items are double insulated and don't require the earth pin or the fuse in a plug..... If it's a figure eight connector at the other end of the mains plug it MUST be being plugged into a double insulated product...think about it!

The Zgemma Star models use double insulated power supplies with built in fuse, hence are perfectly safe with the cable supplied.

If you don't believe me look here for a simple clear explanation. Sorry to burst your bubble Cactikid, the Zgemma is still perfectly safe!

Last edited:
I'm sorry mtpockets but you are wrong regarding the fuse. The fuse in a figure of 8 lead is there to protect the lead itself from catching fire or melting it is not there to protect the power supply or receiver which will have their own fuse. I agree regarding the earth pin which is irrelevant in a double insulated appliance.

What are you going to tell them my dodgy box that I use to illegally decrypt premium channels doesn't meet UK safety standards

What are you going to tell them my dodgy box that I use to illegally decrypt premium channels doesn't meet UK safety standards

There is nothing wrong with the box it's just a dodgy lead that everyone probably has loads of so just replace it. By the way the box can also be used legally for free to air channels you know!

Has anyone got a picture of the original plug because mine looks like it doesn't have a fuse because it's a plastic earth pin

Took the fuse out of the plug and nothing,wouldn't power up.does that mean that the plug is ok.I've got a sky box plug which is 3 amp which i can use.

Mine too

I took the fuse out of my Zgemma star 2s lead and lo and behold it works as well without the fuse as with it. Many have said its unimportant but if, for example, the the lead got crushed and shorted out, it could well cause a fire cos thats wot the fuse is there to stop. I'll be mentioning this to the box supplier. If he can't or won't replace the lead I'll just cut the plug off and fit a 13 amp plug with a 3amp fuse, like we used to do in the old days.

I realised I had skybox f5s already set up so when I got my zgemma I just left skybox plug in and used it for my zgemma box and used zgemma plug for skybox in bedroom.

Has anyone managed to take the plug apart it's just when I looked online there was a Web page about counterfeit plugs wich says some have the earth wire attached to pin rather than fuse.

as others have done the old vcr figure of eight lead could be used with a 3 amp fuse,or cut off connector and use a 13amp 3 pin with a 3 amp fuse.
not my bubble to burst but peoples lives and homes at risk,remember the openbox that went on fire about a year or 2 and that box gets hot sitting on a carpet.
agreed many other things at risk so i would mention them if i knew they had causes for concern,the owners can decide to do what they need to do to make things safe,having said that who has a working smoke alarm?

figure of eight cable does not have an earth but the shielding of coaxial and sat cables gives you a kind of earth.

Last edited:
Back