Vpn yes or no

I thought the idea off a vpn was to stop your provider knowing your downloading iptv content?
If it's your provider that's get blocked from their source even if you had a vpn you wouldn't be able to watch it it would be a black screen mate if your provider has encryption in place you shouldnt get blocked unless your bb provider is blocking you then you would have to use a vpn so they don't recognise it if that makes sense

I thought the idea off a vpn was to stop your provider knowing your downloading iptv content?
I don't think Providers are bothered ,they are making money out of it. If you are worried you could just use a second router without paying for a vpn.

You do realise that if a provider is being blocked, then it's only blocked by the broadband provider... Only the top 5 providers were blocking last I remember, but if your isp is blocking you, then using a VPN will indeed allow you to watch...

Yes, a good IPTV provider will have measures in place to stop this. But, even at worse case scenario that an isp gets around the measures in place by IPTV provider, then a VPN will get you straight back up and running...

You do realise that if a provider is being blocked, then it's only blocked by the broadband provider... Only the top 5 providers were blocking last I remember, but if your isp is blocking you, then using a VPN will indeed allow you to watch...

Yes, a good IPTV provider will have measures in place to stop this. But, even at worse case scenario that an isp gets around the measures in place by IPTV provider, then a VPN will get you straight back up and running...
I agree with what you are saying about your isp blocking you but why a VPN,a secondary router would do the same thing without paying for a vpn.I know people that were blocked by Virgin so they set Virgin router to modem only and just used a second router .

I agree with what you are saying about your isp blocking you but why a VPN,a secondary router would do the same thing without paying for a vpn.I know people that were blocked by Virgin so they set Virgin router to modem only and just used a second router .

Doesn't quite work like that mate...

On some routers, there are parental controls that are set, which by default will block IPTV. However, during EPL games, the EPL got a court injunction, that allows ISPs to block access to the server completely. So, during the games, you can't get around the blocking (unless the provider has enabled anti-epl block) by just using a second standard router. You would either need a VPN router, setup to route all traffic via the VPN, or a VPN on the device you're using, which will route all traffic on that device through the VPN.

The way the VPN works, is to create a tunnel which is encrypted, so no-one can look inside this tunnel to check what's happening. This tunnel leads to the VPN server, which gets the information you've asked for, and returns it to you through the tunnel. The VPN server isn't blocked by any of these legislations, so will work fine...

My Iptv service stopped just as bt footy was starting tonight. I have digibit VPN on my Zgemma h2s, but I can only get 28.2 channels, all sportsnstreams channels are dead, black screen. Does this mean my provider is being blocked, or is my ISP p***net somehow recognizing im using IPTV and blocking me?

Doesn't quite work like that mate...

On some routers, there are parental controls that are set, which by default will block IPTV. However, during EPL games, the EPL got a court injunction, that allows ISPs to block access to the server completely. So, during the games, you can't get around the blocking (unless the provider has enabled anti-epl block) by just using a second standard router. You would either need a VPN router, setup to route all traffic via the VPN, or a VPN on the device you're using, which will route all traffic on that device through the VPN.

The way the VPN works, is to create a tunnel which is encrypted, so no-one can look inside this tunnel to check what's happening. This tunnel leads to the VPN server, which gets the information you've asked for, and returns it to you through the tunnel. The VPN server isn't blocked by any of these legislations, so will work fine...
I understand about VPN m8,This is not to get round epl block,this was done for the new virgin router that was blocking boxes and it worked with no vpn.All good providers have encryption to stop epl block as everybody knows.

If people do not understand the technology behind ISP's, VPN's and EPL blocking stop commenting like it is facts.

EPL block is not on all ISP's, smaller independants are not blocking anything. Larger providers are blocking IP addresses provided to them by EPL on a daily basis.

Your IPTV provider will be buying a dedicated server hosted in a data centre in London, Nottingham, France or similar, these use transit providers who do not block EPL as they are not part of the court order. The order is aimed at blocking users from accessing content.

If your provider is being blocked it means the IP of their server is in the block list, and any customer on the big 5 network cannot access the server, but I can access from my small ISP.

If I then use a VPN service who may or may not be hosted in the same data centre as IPTV server, how can I be blocked?
My ISP cannot see my traffic contents, they can only see my destination IP which is VPN and NOT on EPL block list.

So people talking about encryption is b0110cks, what they do is stand up new front servers allow them to be blocked then switch on EPL day to a fresh unblocked IP using a reverse proxy, then switch back or switch servers every week.

So, in answer to the OP, yes get a VPN, or see my guide to setup your own!
Run it on your box, then test IPTV providers to ensure the speed/latency is fine with your VPN.
My provider is in Nottingham DC, so I got a VPS in same DC and run my VPN to there, nothing can block our connection as it is in the same DC.

Enjoy

If people do not understand the technology behind ISP's, VPN's and EPL blocking stop commenting like it is facts.

EPL block is not on all ISP's, smaller independants are not blocking anything. Larger providers are blocking IP addresses provided to them by EPL on a daily basis.

Your IPTV provider will be buying a dedicated server hosted in a data centre in London, Nottingham, France or similar, these use transit providers who do not block EPL as they are not part of the court order. The order is aimed at blocking users from accessing content.

If your provider is being blocked it means the IP of their server is in the block list, and any customer on the big 5 network cannot access the server, but I can access from my small ISP.

If I then use a VPN service who may or may not be hosted in the same data centre as IPTV server, how can I be blocked?
My ISP cannot see my traffic contents, they can only see my destination IP which is VPN and NOT on EPL block list.

So people talking about encryption is b0110cks, what they do is stand up new front servers allow them to be blocked then switch on EPL day to a fresh unblocked IP using a reverse proxy, then switch back or switch servers every week.

So, in answer to the OP, yes get a VPN, or see my guide to setup your own!
Run it on your box, then test IPTV providers to ensure the speed/latency is fine with your VPN.
My provider is in Nottingham DC, so I got a VPS in same DC and run my VPN to there, nothing can block our connection as it is in the same DC.

Enjoy

Thar is a great explanation of the process and something I've been hoping someone would post for some time. Thanks.

One question I have is that last night all my EPL, sports and even general IPTV channels went blank even with my VPN on. When I contacted my provider he said that that they got hit with EPL block that hit their main server which took out all channels. They then need to request new IP address. Can you explain what most likely happened here and why my VPN didn't circumnavigate the block. My VPN has done this business every weekend for the past couple of months and over Christmas too.

I have difficulties understanding this. Perhaps you can explain?

Say your iptv provider gives you an m3u file, so it has the domain name and port number etc. of the server where you can get the streams. If the big 5 ISPs have set their target to "block" (e.g. by setting their DNS servers to point these domain names, or their IP addresses, to a bit bucket) at 3pm, how can any reverse proxy set up before or after 3pm help you access the stream, given your m3u file remains the same and points to exactly the same domain names/IP addresses (that have been blocked by the ISP)?

I am only guessing, but since some huge IPTV names have been distinctly unsuccessful in getting their service "unblocked", and have to either bow out and / or insisting users to use vpn for access, I wonder if there really is a "technical" (as opposed to tactical) solution to unblock at source (as opposed to unblocking at point of use, e.g. by punters using vpn), without changing servers/IPs and communicate such to users (unless of course what is being blocked is just between providers, then changing servers/IPs should not affect users, but that is a separate issue altogether and has little to do with the OP)?

It seems to me another way an IPTV provider can escape being blocked is by tactically going under the radar of FAPL/UEFA/F1. This can be done by e.g. taking advantage of the loopholes created by the court orders. For example, an ISP is not allowed to block a server if they are aware that streaming offending streams is not the primary function of the server. In particular, the court order states: "First, FAPL and its contractor must reasonably believe that the server has the sole or predominant purpose of enabling or facilitating access to infringing streams of Premier League match footage. Secondly, FAPL and its contractor must not know or have reason to believe that the server is being used for any other substantial purpose." What that means, is a small provider hiding amongst other utility can escape getting blocked.

Finally, I wonder if anybody who has been using a secondary vpn router to bypass an ISP block (that would otherwise have delivered a dark screen) tried specifying e.g. Google's 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 as the primary / secondary DNS server addresses within the vpn router, and then turned vpn off at 3pm? Does it still work? I am asking because: a) I can't test it because I neither use IPTV nor watch football, and b) it works fine for accessing domain names (e.g. thepiratebay.org) banned by other UK court orders. The reason I ask, is, if it works, then that would be a solution to circumvent vpn slowing down streams, which is relevant for less powerful client machines/routers.

One question I have is that last night all my EPL, sports and even general IPTV channels went blank even with my VPN on. When I contacted my provider he said that that they got hit with EPL block that hit their main server which took out all channels. They then need to request new IP address. Can you explain what most likely happened here and why my VPN didn't circumnavigate the block. My VPN has done this business every weekend for the past couple of months and over Christmas too.

A possible reason why your vpn could not circumvent "the block", is the issue was between your provider and his provider or similarly someone further up the chain. Imho, unless you have e.g. a dns leak in your setup, there is no way your ISP can block you accessing a fully functional server when you have a fully functional vpn.

Cheers!

"Say your iptv provider gives you an m3u file, so it has the domain name and port number etc. of the server where you can get the streams. If the big 5 ISPs have set their target to "block" (e.g. by setting their DNS servers to point these domain names, or their IP addresses, to a bit bucket) at 3pm, how can any reverse proxy set up before or after 3pm help you access the stream, given your m3u file remains the same and points to exactly the same domain names/IP addresses"

I was thinking the exact same thing.....

A possible reason why your vpn could not circumvent "the block", is the issue was between your provider and his provider or similarly someone further up the chain. Imho, unless you have e.g. a dns leak in your setup, there is no way your ISP can block you accessing a fully functional server when you have a fully functional vpn.

Cheers!

Thanks. That seems like a viable reason - in fact it's the only one that makes any sense.

Thar is a great explanation of the process and something I've been hoping someone would post for some time. Thanks.

They probably using a home broadband in their chain SKY, BT or similar and it got blocked.
If they are using Easynet (Sky back end) the EPL block might have affected their servers, but they would know better and get hosting from a neutral supplier not on the EPL list.

I have difficulties understanding this. Perhaps you can explain?

Say your iptv provider gives you an m3u file, so it has the domain name and port number etc. of the server where you can get the streams. If the big 5 ISPs have set their target to "block" (e.g. by setting their DNS servers to point these domain names, or their IP addresses, to a bit bucket) at 3pm, how can any reverse proxy set up before or after 3pm help you access the stream, given your m3u file remains the same and points to exactly the same domain names/IP addresses (that have been blocked by the ISP)?

I am only guessing, but since some huge IPTV names have been distinctly unsuccessful in getting their service "unblocked", and have to either bow out and / or insisting users to use vpn for access, I wonder if there really is a "technical" (as opposed to tactical) solution to unblock at source (as opposed to unblocking at point of use, e.g. by punters using vpn), without changing servers/IPs and communicate such to users (unless of course what is being blocked is just between providers, then changing servers/IPs should not affect users, but that is a separate issue altogether and has little to do with the OP)?

It seems to me another way an IPTV provider can escape being blocked is by tactically going under the radar of FAPL/UEFA/F1. This can be done by e.g. taking advantage of the loopholes created by the court orders. For example, an ISP is not allowed to block a server if they are aware that streaming offending streams is not the primary function of the server. In particular, the court order states: "First, FAPL and its contractor must reasonably believe that the server has the sole or predominant purpose of enabling or facilitating access to infringing streams of Premier League match footage. Secondly, FAPL and its contractor must not know or have reason to believe that the server is being used for any other substantial purpose." What that means, is a small provider hiding amongst other utility can escape getting blocked.

Finally, I wonder if anybody who has been using a secondary vpn router to bypass an ISP block (that would otherwise have delivered a dark screen) tried specifying e.g. Google's 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 as the primary / secondary DNS server addresses within the vpn router, and then turned vpn off at 3pm? Does it still work? I am asking because: a) I can't test it because I neither use IPTV nor watch football, and b) it works fine for accessing domain names (e.g. thepiratebay.org) banned by other UK court orders. The reason I ask, is, if it works, then that would be a solution to circumvent vpn slowing down streams, which is relevant for less powerful client machines/routers.

Cheers!

OK, first of all, it is NOTHING to do with domain names, it is all to do with IP address 123.123.123.123 for example.
I can spin up a server in a cloud in 10-15 mins, with a script, quicker. This will have a fresh, unknown IP to EPL.
If I keep my domain name TTL to 5 mins (the min), then at 12:00 on match day, I switch my DNS name to the fresh IP on a reverse proxy, it will get around the EPL block.
But eventually the IP will make it into next weeks EPL block, so I have to repeat again and again.
And there are not many providers who can sustain the bandwidth requirements servers generate (TB per day), so small cloud servers, get expensive.
Real big servers take days to setup and days to change IP, not a quick simple fix for providers.
So do not give them grief, get your own VPN (http://techkings.org/threads/setup-your-own-openvpn-server-for-using-iptv.126810/ ) or get a reputable paid one and try different servers, UK, FR, NL, DE etc.

OK, first of all, it is NOTHING to do with domain names, it is all to do with IP address 123.123.123.123 for example.
I can spin up a server in a cloud in 10-15 mins, with a script, quicker. This will have a fresh, unknown IP to EPL.
If I keep my domain name TTL to 5 mins (the min), then at 12:00 on match day, I switch my DNS name to the fresh IP on a reverse proxy, it will get around the EPL block.
But eventually the IP will make it into next weeks EPL block, so I have to repeat again and again.

Sorry your explanation makes no sense to me.

I don't care how short the Time To Live a domain name (DN) is associated with its IP address, or how little effort it takes to create a functional server with a new unknown to EPL IP address, since the DN or the old IP address is or are the ONLY "addresses" the iptv punters have, in their m3u or similar, to access the streams.

Associating a new IP address to the same DN means the ISP has absolutely no reason to suddenly unblock the DN if it continues to deliver offending streams, and if the new IP does not deliver, the punter is also screwed. Alternatively, running a new functional server with a new IP address that was never blocked, but which the punter also does not have without changing the IP address for access at his box, is again just moving the deck chair on the Titanic!

I must therefore conclude I have seen ZERO suggestion or explanation from you or anybody else as to how an iptv server can TECHNICALLY unblock, something as simple as an ISP DNS look up filter, without the punter with a blocked m3u (who relies on said ISP DNS server) lifting a finger.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I dont need a VPN with my supplier, but I tried a few just in case ( free and paid )
And they all gave me connection problems.

Using VM 100m connection
On H2H
Grog's build
Wired not wifi
Using Plugin E2speedtest

Without VPN = 74mbps at box
With VPN = from 9mpbs to 38mbps at box

I hope I never have to use one
Hi i'm having problems with my supplier so could you recommend a good supplier to me please

there’s way way too much scare mongering about vpn and blocked services. the only services getting blocked are the ones who advertise all over facebook all over ebay , the professional suppliers don’t advertise because they don’t need to. i’d try another service, one that doesn’t advertise in the national papers. you’ll probably be surprised. [emoji106]

there’s way way too much scare mongering about vpn and blocked services. the only services getting blocked are the ones who advertise all over facebook all over ebay , the professional suppliers don’t advertise because they don’t need to. i’d try another service, one that doesn’t advertise in the national papers. you’ll probably be surprised. [emoji106]

Hi, that is not totally true.
To get business suppliers have to advertise, granted not on facebook/instagram/ebay etc. that is silly and most are scams anyway.
But even on here, the costs of running the service are high and you need a return.
Do you think sky, virgin, fact, fast are not in these forums?
They grab tests, collate the IP's, pay for a 1 month account, ensure they capture correct IP's etc. and add them to the block list.
Any supplier can be blocked it is just a matter of time.
If you have a private guy doing this as a sideline and funding it himself, then good on you, stick with him or her.
But rest of you have to pick a supplier by looking, and they have to get business by advertising or responding to requests.

Back