what box is compatible with Virgin Media UK?

stuart936

Hi,

New to this forum and I hope I will be able to offer something through out the vast amount of threads, however in the mean time I have a question.

Which is the best HD Digital Receiver to buy for use with Virgin Media in the UK, I have had a look about and the Amiko Mini Combo seems to be quite popular? I am wanting two boxes which I can install my own hard drive on preferably (as I have a few sat about), I would also need pointing in the right direction in regards to "Line" and "Gift"?

Thank You

i've been running an AMIKO MINI HD COMBO for the last 12 months using VM and have not had a problem with it at all (apart from when i put the wrong firmware in but that was my fault) and the HD is crystal.
if you put AMIKO MINI COMBO in the search box and look for the thread AMIKO MINI COMBO TUTORIAL by BEES its a step by step guide to setting up the box from scratch, if i can do it anyone can.
the trick with these boxes is when you get it up and running with a decent line provider you should leave it to do its thing, maybe update the channels once every couple of months ,but i haven't done mine for about 6 and the channels are fine.
people mess with their boxes trying to modify their EPG and trying to add S** and VM skins and complaining when the boxes start playing up because they have messed with them, people should just be happy that their channels work and they are paying a pittance for them.

ooo nice, just been reading about this and it looks promising....I can get a amiko mini T2 for about £54.00 quid... :)

They the best you guys say ?

Last edited:
No, they're not the best, they're entry grade (and I don't think they are enigma 2), have a look at the thread linked by cactikid, it lists a lot of the different boxes.

I just reread this and it sounds harsh, it is not meant to be, but I don't know how to rephrase it to sound nicer.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Amiko combo mini/and other models are well known for weak tuners.I wouldnt touch with a barge pole.

I bought one when cable was just getting back on it's feet as a bit of a punt, basic box, mine had a weak tuner, used it to see
if the cable side was working, soon sold up and went for an E2 box, I would say they are the cable equivalent of a
skybox/openbox on sat.

No, they're not the best, they're entry grade (and I don't think they are enigma 2), have a look at the thread linked by cactikid, it lists a lot of the different boxes.

I just reread this and it sounds harsh, it is not meant to be, but I don't know how to rephrase it to sound nicer.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

lol...no worries, ha! but for the price then they look OK. :)

I think I might get one for the hell of it

@bobless and @bees , what would you recommend from the Enigma 2 range??

I think I might get one for the hell of it

My personal opinion, you will not have this box longer than 6 months as you will want something better, consider this before you buy.

Last edited:
Been having a look about and I can get a Zgemma Star H1 for about £66.00 quid.

Looks like there's quite a lot of support on here and they have been recommended...hmmmm....

i've been running an AMIKO MINI HD COMBO for the last 12 months using VM and have not had a problem with it at all (apart from when i put the wrong firmware in but that was my fault) and the HD is crystal.
if you put AMIKO MINI COMBO in the search box and look for the thread AMIKO MINI COMBO TUTORIAL by BEES its a step by step guide to setting up the box from scratch, if i can do it anyone can.
the trick with these boxes is when you get it up and running with a decent line provider you should leave it to do its thing, maybe update the channels once every couple of months ,but i haven't done mine for about 6 and the channels are fine.
people mess with their boxes trying to modify their EPG and trying to add S** and VM skins and complaining when the boxes start playing up because they have messed with them, people should just be happy that their channels work and they are paying a pittance for them.

where did u get your VM line from ? and is it still working or have your renewed it ?

Got the line from here, there is a thread in the cable section of the forum, read thru thoroughly first.
It's a good line and have renewed

World of satellite are good for boxes I bought the ediosn mini dvbc and love it. Use openvix and a red virmin skin its easy up to my old openbx to record what I want and transfer recordings

Back