What cable

So I've just switched over from Sly to Virmin but I'm wondering what cable lead everyone is using?

I've read that Virmin use WF100. Would this make a difference or should I stick with my existing standard sly one?

V*rgin don't use WF100, it's too expensive for them :grin: ... I use WF100 on my cable setup though and it's perfect... a really good quality cable is WF100.

What receiver do you have btw? :)

I have two for different rooms. One is Zgemma H2H and the other is Zgemma H5.2TC.

I've purchased myself Virmin HDU 200 splitter and now the only thing left for me is the cables which can be a bit of a problem wiring it to the other room if I have to upgrade

WF100 or CT100
Both quality brand cables, made to RG59 standard
Don't use generic RG59, its generally lower quality than "real" RG59

Just connected up HDU 200 splitter with the existing cables and no more glitching but I have seen the difference rg59.vs rg6 cables on YouTube videos and I will be updating the cables at a later date to get the most out of my kit.

Just connected up HDU 200 splitter with the existing cables and no more glitching but I have seen the difference rg59.vs rg6 cables on YouTube videos and I will be updating the cables at a later date to get the most out of my kit.
OK,
first thing you need to bear in mind is,
RG6 cable will NOT fit standard F connectors, it is physically much larger than RG59
also, as per my other post,
make sure you use proper RG59 cable, and NOT generic branded stuff,
RG is no longer a standard, but simply a measurement of physical size,
lots of cables out there purporting to be RG59 [or whatever] are simply the correct size, without actually meeting what was once the grade of proper RG59 cable,
as said previously, if you stick with good quality branded cables, such as WF100 or CT100 then they will meet the proper standards of RG59 cable, most generic 'RG59' cables fall well short of the standards.
unless you are running 100's of m of cable then good quality RG59 cable is all you need, but, make sure it is good cable, and not CCS or CCA , or just some cheap chinese shit [also same acronym as ccs, iyswim], even some 'reputable' stockists have been known to sell ccs/cca to unwary buyers.

I became aware of the different size of RG cables when I tried attaching my newly purchased compression F type connectors only to find they are too large lol.

I became aware of the different size of RG cables when I tried attaching my newly purchased compression F type connectors only to find they are too large lol.
I've installed 100s upon 100s of cables, and never once used compression fittings,
imo the only reason sly or virmin use them is cost, they are buying them in the 10s of 1000s , so every penny counts,
I honestly dont see any massive benefit for the casual user, or installer, definitely not cost effective by the time you factor in close to 100£ for even a cheap crimping tool, just so you save 3 or 5p per connector.

It's not £100 for a compression tool :grin: ... I got mine on eBay for under a tenner with a handful of fittings and still going strong after doing loads. The screw on connections are ok to be fair as long as they're not subject to any pulling / movement or you like to undo them often for various reasons (pissing about with different boxes) :grin:

It's not £100 for a compression tool :grin: ... I got mine on eBay for under a tenner with a handful of fittings and still going strong after doing loads. The screw on connections are ok to be fair as long as they're not subject to any pulling / movement or you like to undo them often for various reasons (pissing about with different boxes) :grin:

I suppose it depends how often you will use it really,
I wouldnt want to be using a 10quid tool every day, it would soon go out of sync, lose its compression tightness.

Back