What size hinges for box made from 12mm stock?

Wellyfish

I'm messing about making some boxes out of 12mm stock and have no idea what size/width hinges to use to fit the top to the bottom.

Wondering if anyone can help ...Cheers

I'm messing about making some boxes out of 12mm stock and have no idea what size/width hinges to use to fit the top to the bottom.

Wondering if anyone can help ...Cheers
There's hundreds of variables here.
Are they decorative boxes to be used for jewellery or other ornate things?
Or cheapo plywood boxes for storing screws and nails etc?
What material are you using?
Oak?
Plywood?
Chipboard?
Balsa?

There's hundreds of variables here.
Are they decorative boxes to be used for jewellery or other ornate things?
Or cheapo plywood boxes for storing screws and nails etc?
What material are you using?
Oak?
Plywood?
Chipboard?
Balsa?
Yeah, should have been more specific. I'm just getting into woodworking as a hobby, I never want to be able to sell anything or make money from it.

I'm at the stage of learning to build boxes from gluing up PSE stock from a timber merchant. Yes, it's rubbish stock but I reckon I have to start somewhere.

(I'm also going to use MDF and plywood if i can get some that's decent and not too expensive, just for something to do.)

So far, so good, I can glue up the panels and mostly get them flat and level, rebate the ends of the sides, cut the lids off etc. and they don't look too bad.

I've watched a few videos on fitting hinges/making hinge jis etc and want to give it a go but I've no idea what size hinges to buy for any particular width of material I'm using.

So, I'm just messing around, trying to learn and any advice gratefully received.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back