Zgemma 2S Dead red light only JTAG

1Dude

Hello I have a problem with a Zgemma s2 it was stuck in boot, I tried re flashing but when it re started it was still stuck on boot, I contacted the seller who suggested I downloaded the boot loader from the zgemma site, I put it on my usb and the zgemma kept going from flash to boot, I left it for over an hour doing this then gave up, now when I turn the box on I get a red light and nothing else, I tried contacting the seller and he is not helping, I think I need to flash the box with a Jtag and have ordered Logic Analyzer EEPROM CY7C68013A-56 EZ-USB FX2LP USB2.0 Development Board Module | eBay

Has anyone go a guide on how to flash the Zgemma ? and what software I will need ?.

How long have you had the box?
I have two boxes with the same problem, one is 3 months old I have contacted the supplier and he said send it back, and he was sending it back to China said it could take up to 7 weeks, and I have another one that is a few days old from another supplier, again I have contacted the supplier but he is not being very helpful.

I am quite handy when it comes to electronics, so rather than send it back at my cost again and having to wait weeks I thought I would have a go at fixing it with a Jtag programmer hence the one I have ordered.

Last edited:
Ok no worries.... but you have consumer rights in so far as faulty items are concerned and should not have to incur any returns postage costs, as the sellers are liable for that. I presume both worked ok for you to begin with?

Ok no worries.... but you have consumer rights in so far as faulty items are concerned and should not have to incur any returns postage costs, as the sellers are liable for that. I presume both worked ok for you to begin with?
The first one was working but ever now and then if the electric went off the box would get stuck in boot, so you would have to re-flash it and it would be ok again as long as it was left plugged in and the electric did not go off, when I contacted the seller he said to reinstall the boot loader that I did and it kept saying flash / boot I left it for ages in the end I switch it off and that was it red light only, he asked for me to return it then told me it would be at least 7 weeks and had to go back to china, I told him I was not happy and he got quite abusive so I don't think I will see that box again, the second box flashed then rebooted and again stuck in boot, and again I tried the boot loader and that was the end of it red light I have tried to contact the seller he said he was looking in to the problem but I don't hold much hope, I have set up lots of zgemmas with out a problem so would like to be able to know how to flash one with a Jtag.

I did have exactly the same problem after re search I found the box NOT ORIGINAL. I call the seller and i said if you don't replace my box i will take action against you.he replace my box no problem.
just red light is a dead box:(

Ok My Jtag programmer arrived this morning and after a few hours of trying to get it to coneect to the Zgemma and getting the correct chipset and driver I have manage to put the boot loader back on, it now powers up and its flashing a back up now as I type, lets see if it works ok now .

Ok My Jtag programmer arrived this morning and after a few hours of trying to get it to coneect to the Zgemma and getting the correct chipset and driver I have manage to put the boot loader back on, it now powers up and its flashing a back up now as I type, lets see if it works ok now .

Well It works but takes ages to boot up and seems slow when it has booted, I will have another go at it today

Maybe you could post a guide to help others in the same position.

Also if it is a clone (i havnt seen any yet) the original bootloader wouldnt be great as for slightly different box.
Also are u using a raw zgemma image and nkt a backup just in case?

Last edited:
Someone I know thinks he had a clone box, I'll ask him how he thinks it's a clone. Is there a certain thing to look out for to check if a box is a clone?

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Generally popping off the cover and looking at the markings on the circuit boards and comparing to a guaranteed genuine.

I will post a guide later, when I get home.
The programmer is £9.27 on Ebay item number 262103317031
Logic Analyzer EEPROM CY7C68013A-56 EZ-USB FX2LP USB2.0 Develop Board Module with one jumper (Remove This Jumper)
Hello Gaz

OK Remember to remove the Jumper off the Jtag interface, I only used the jtag (I did not use the rs232) and connected it as per pic here https://upic.me/i/pd/jtag-zgemma.jpg only connecting pins 1 2 3, ( I used radio control servo extension leads to connect, don’t install any drivers the jtag interface will use the Broadband ones provided.

Pin 1 on Zgemma board to GND on Jtag
Pin 2 on Zgemma board to SDA
Pin 3 on Zgemma board to SCL
Pin 4 not connected

Now install Broadband Studio 3.1 (BBS3) on to your PC the version I used was 3.1.50315.13
Download and install (Chip name) Bcm97358 don’t use the setup exe use the Bcm97358.msi file.
Download CFE_ZSH1_WinbondW25Q32BV (Chip type) and place this file in the Flashes file in the Broadband directory.
Plug in the usb from the Jtag programmer with the jumper off and your pc should pick up the Broadband driver.
Start Broadband studio 3.1 and select View and then select devices, select Bcm97358 and switch on your Zgemma it should now State 'Connected'
Now select file explorer chip name will be 'Bcm7358' and select TYPE 'Winbond W25Q32BV'
Under flash operatons select the boot loader (available from the Zgemma website)
Click start you may have to refresh a couple of times and switch the Zgemma on and off and it is temperamental with the connection
if no success try the other Winbond chip type Winbond W25X40BL from the menu you don’t have to download this one.
it takes about 2 mins 30 seconds to flash

PM me if you can't find the relevant files

Last edited:
used radio control servo extension leads

OK Remember to remove the Jumper off the Jtag interface, I only used the jtag (I did not use the rs232) and connected it as per pic here https://upic.me/i/pd/jtag-zgemma.jpg only connecting pins 1 2 3, ( I used radio control servo extension leads to connect, don’t install any drivers the jtag interface will use the Broadband ones provided.

Pin 4 not connected

Now install Broadband Studio 3.1 (BBS3) on to your PC the version I used was 3.1.50315.13
Download and install (Chip name) Bcm97358 don’t use the setup exe use the Bcm97358.msi file.
Download CFE_ZSH1_WinbondW25Q32BV (Chip type) and place this file in the Flashes file in the Broadband directory.
Plug in the usb from the Jtag programmer with the jumper off and your pc should pick up the Broadband driver.
Start Broadband studio 3.1 and select View and then select devices, select Bcm97358 and switch on your Zgemma it should now State 'Connected'
Now select file explorer chip name will be 'Bcm7358' and select TYPE 'Winbond W25Q32BV'
Under flash operatons select the boot loader (available from the Zgemma website)
Click start you may have to refresh a couple of times and switch the Zgemma on and off and it is temperamental with the connection
if no success try the other Winbond chip type Winbond W25X40BL from the menu you don’t have to download this one.

hello mate can u send me a link on which radio control servo extension leads to buy cant find them please

Pin 4 not connected

hello mate can u send me a link on which radio control servo extension leads to buy cant find them please

I used servo leads I had these are female one end and male the other so I got two leads cut the male ends off and then soldered them back together they are available from any model shop
12 pcs JR Type 1000 mm Heavy Duty Extension Wire | Overlander Batteries

or you could buy these I am sure they would do the job
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...targid=kwd-73816487754&ref=pd_sl_52o7lzizh2_b

Pin 4 not connected

I used servo leads I had these are female one end and male the other so I got two leads cut the male ends off and then soldered them back together they are available from any model shop
12 pcs JR Type 1000 mm Heavy Duty Extension Wire | Overlander Batteries

or you could buy these I am sure they would do the job
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...targid=kwd-73816487754&ref=pd_sl_52o7lzizh2_b

thanks for the reply are these ok to buy please.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-Dup...1474025167&sr=8-3&keywords=female+female+wire

Back