Zgemma Box Visible Connection VM

Slainesco

Hello

I was in my virgin media hub and noticed my Zgemma is showing as an Ethernet Connected Device

Does that mean those cheeky chaps at VM can see that as well

thanks

S

Hi There. Short answer is Yes. You can change the name of your Zgemma box to something else to avoid this. Depending on what image you are using.

For OpenATV images using your remote you want to go to Menu, Setup, System, Network,Mounts Setup, Mount Manager and scroll down to Change Hostname.

For Vix images again using your remote go to Menu, Setup, System, Network, Mounts setup, Mounts manager, Change host name. Press OK and an on screen keyboard opens, select "all" to highlight old name, then type over it. think you then press green to save.

Change the name to anything you like. I've got mine set up as Apple TV.

Thanks

Thank you again and will do. I am just trying to get to the bottom of my constant freezing on both my boxes and noticed this on the router

yeah i didnt think it would it was just i noticed it when i was perusing my router

how do i check my signal levels

thanks

yeah i didnt think it would it was just i noticed it when i was perusing my router

how do i check my signal levels

thanks
Depending on what image you're using and skin, you can usually hit the ok button twice on your remote when watching a tv channel and in the bottom right corner there should be a SNR percentage. SNR stands for Signal to Noise Ratio and is basically your signal level coming into the receiver for that certain channel/ frequency you're currently using.

Thanks

i think its the H2H
The model of your Zgemma box will be printed on the front of the box. If your box is a H2H Make sure you have an up to date image flashed to your box. If your certain you have a current image and your SNR still shows 29%, then your signals may be a bit on the low side and could probably do with boosting either by a dedicated booster like the kong yellow brick amp or by a HDU.

Thanks

ive just checked and the last time it was updated was 20-11-16.
Im quite new to this so whats a good image and will i lose my sub info
thanks

ive just checked and the last time it was updated was 20-11-16.
Im quite new to this so whats a good image
thanks
If your image was last updated in November 2016 then yes I'd say you're running an outdated image. As you're pretty new to the world of c/s I'd suggest going with an image that has been pre configured such as wooshbuild. Wooshbuild is based on a openATV 6.0 image and can be found in the downloads section of this site. There are plenty of threads on this and help is readily availble.

Thanks

technically vm probably can see what is connected to your router, legally I am not sure they are allowed to snoop without a warrant or your permission. I've never bothered changing the hostname on any of my boxes, and I have 4 connected to the router at the moment and have not had any issues.

Search the forum and you will see there have been a lot of people experiencing freezing although today appears to have settled down. (tempting fate)

Yeah vm dont give a crap whats connected and make most of there money through broadband and only a fraction through tv channels as sly own most of the channels anyway etc vm just a 3rd party provider for most tv :(y):

Back