Zgemma star s2 stuck on standby

henrikno7

Hi I just received a zgemma 2 receiver with the sky skin blue HD I'm not sure but when I tried to change the channels search option to sky UK and my region the box flickered then rebooted but was only showing 45 on the display so after rebooting it and getting the same it's stuck on standby. I don't get the numbers on it its just on standby the remote control doesn't seem to switch it on either plus the standby button on the box. I have another zgemma box so I'm not sure if I could copy the image from that on to this one but first things first it's getting it out of the standby, the box was just switched on 5 minutes any help is appreciated

I would say there are 2 options reflash but if it came with gift youll need to ftp to box to copy the line details or send it back where it came from it may be worth trying to ftp anyway to see if the box is alive in there or try the webif

It came with a gift m8, I'm new to these boxes but I know how to ftp to dreamboxes etc using flash fxp but would I not need the boxes ip address then a username and password to get the ftp working? I unplugged it and put my other one on that's working ok and the remotes working fine, the one stuck on standby won't let me in at all it won't go into the boot menu then the sky skin. So any help on how to ftp the box if possible is appreciated thanks

you can find out your ip address from your computer.

go into command prompt
type ipconfig

this will give your computers ipv4 address. something like this 192.168.1.105

this gives you a base to find your zgemmas ip address. It's probably one or maybe 2 up or down. i.e 192.168.1.104 or 192.168.1.106

Your login for your ftp is then this ip address. username: root, password[leaveblank]

If you can then access your zgemma, you need to back up your line.
if cline you need to look for a file called cccam.cfg in either /etc or /usr/keys

if nline you need to look for newcamd.list in either /etc or /usr keys (I think)

One you have got a copy of your line, try reflashing it.

Login to ur routers homepage if its a sky router its 192.168.0.1 then try and look for an ip table on the settings somewhere that tell u the list of ip addesses assigned to devices on ur network. One of them will be ur zgemma. U can still ftp to it while in standby as i have done so in the past.

Username is root and password is root Then backup either cccam.cfg in /etc or the mg_cfg and newcamd.list both in /usr/keys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks m8 I understand that now the ip address thing can I use flash fxp that's what I'm used to, I had backed up my other box on to a USB stick but I noticed there's the sky blue HD image on here. So if I get the ftp and n-line sorted out how would I flash it when it's stuck on standby? The remotes not working it and the power button on the fronts not doing anything at all, The display just shows the red light that's it plus tv says no video available ,so again I'm not sure if you can force it to reboot or once I have an image it will boot from there and read the USB. Any help is again appreciated

sucmnsee vix backup in the downloads section is set to force flash. Therefore you might be able to turn the box off at the back. Insert the usb with backup image on in the rear usb port, then turn your box on. Hopefully the flash will kick in.

ps.. you don't want to install blue hd skin, there is a miles better one now. Slyk 1 HD. ;)

Have your tried taking out all the cables at the back and then putting them back in. Maybe something is shorting your box. The fconnectors can be buggers.

---------- Post Merged at 07:45 PM ----------

and if it's brand new, and the above fixes don't work, ask for a replacement. There is also the possibility there might me a hardware problem.

Last edited:
I have tried it on another feed m8 and unplugged it, the one that was there before is working fine on the same sat feed but it's in the other room now and still on standby I'll try and get the ip address of the box and take it from there, get the n-line that's not really a problem I could get another one, so it's basically just getting the force flash as you mentioned above and out of standby I've read on here they get stuck on the boot quite alot. I only have 2 usb sticks one backed up my other box and the other one doesn't show up on my android box, so could I wipe the one I have the back up on of the working box to try the vix backup on the one stuck on standby? Thanks for the help

hi m8 I tried the sucmnsee vixbackup but its still stuck on standby ,got into the router settings and seen some ip addresses and tried them on flash fxp but none are connecting im using root as username and password as password but its failing to connect ,looks like its bricked ! so im stuck

The password on mine is root, but ive also seen some others saying password is just to be left blank.

you can actually type any password you want in and it still works. (unless you have specifically set a password). Even this zgemmaijustboughtisapileofcrap will work ;)

Contact your seller and let them know it's died after 5 minutes and you cant even reflash it.

Don't worry m8 I will be contacting him but the first time I checked my router my other box same one was showing up as connected to the router but the ip config was only showing my laptops ip address so I tried the router settings I tried a few ip addresses that should up as unknown but I think I got the username and password wrong plus I formatted the USB stick to fat 32 installed the file that was mentioned earlier to try to get it to fonce it to flash that way, nothing happened still looking at a red light wouldn't be so bad if it went to the boot part then stopped. I'll try it again later just back from hospital so I don't know if the USB stick was intialiased properly as I know I had do do that to use the time shift on the other box, any more suggestions are appreciated otherwise I've got a brick for a Xmas present!
I have homeplugs aswell so I'm not sure if they show an ip address aswell but the router settings was saying wired and wireless ip addresses but I did try it in the room where the router was with a sky feed the file from the downloads was on the dongle so am not sure if it's been put on correctly but was unzipped to it. If anybody can direct me to the right file it's appreciated as I'm new to these boxes as I mentioned earlier TIA
When I said the username and password was wrong I meant on flash fxp so it wouldn't connect to the ip addresses my router was showing

---------- Post Merged at 06:38 AM ----------

Managed to get into the ccam config on the box that's working but I had to go into the menu on the box to get the ip address but it's not showing as one connected to the router for some reason totally different ones showing on the router so I can ftp etc it's just finding the ip address of the other box when it's on standby, but really that's not good anyway unless I found it and ftp an image to it but I don't think that will work so I think I need to force the flash with the USB back to square one but at least I know how to use the ftp the correct way, that's a start

Last edited:
this is what the router settings say when the zgemma box on standby is connected so I can only assume the box is dead as ive tried to ftp the 2 wired ip addresses first one is my laptop and the other 2 must be my homeplugs but the other zgemma box shows its ip when that's connected to the same adapters tv and sat feed
Network
Device
MAC Address
IP Address
Wi-Fi:
henrik-TOSH
74:de:2b:d8:b5:1d
Wired:
Int6400-cd1fb41
1c:c6:3c:d1=2:fb:41
Int6400-cd1f897
1c:c6:3c:d1:f8:9@

Last edited:
Can u take the ethernet cable that goes from router into first homeplug and put it into the zgemma standy box instead? As that way ur cutting out homeplugs and just having direct connection to the zgemma. It doesnt need to be connected to the satellite just power and ethernet so can test the ip address.

Then check to see if the green/orange lights on ethernet port flash/flicker?

Then on ur laptop try the router page to see if there is anything there ip wise?

Hi m8 I tried that and the router settings are
Network Device MAC Address IP Address
Wi-Fi:henrik-TOSH74:de:2b:d8:@@:1d192.168.1.3

the green light is flashing and the orange light is solid
so again im just guessing its more than a software issue ?
only thing that was changed or was being changed was the sat region from ROI to my area
as soon as I tried to change it the screen flickered and the thing kept rebooting to say 50 or 60% so it was switched off then I tried to put it back on and its had the red light since but when it was first plugged in the standby button was on and it took a minute or 2 to switch on from standby to booting then eventually the sky blue hd screen viewed a channel to check gift then done as I said above tried to change the region . I think ive exhausted all avenues and myself and the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

---------- Post Merged at 01:19 PM ----------

Only other thing that I can think of is that I had an openbox with a gift in the other room and that's why it's started rebooting as I used to have the openbox in the room where the zgemma box is now, then took it into the living room connected to one of the homeplugs but it kept rebooting up to 99 then starting over again, it was as if it was conflicting with the spider box or dreambox in the room where the router was but when I unplugged it and put it back in where the zgemma box is it rebooted and ran ok. I seem to remember that I had an ip conflict message on the laptop but never thought anything of it. So now I've done away with the dreambox and spider box so I have an openbox in one bedroom and the zgemma in the other bedroom but the zgemma box I bought last week was and still is working ok so it was a straight swap unless it's been faulty to begin with. So I'm not sure if resetting the router or a setting in the router will do anything, I just seen another post about a zgemma rebooting every 20 minutes or so and settings of some sort had to be changed but mines isn't coming on at all
The zgemma box that's workings green light is flickering about 3 times then stops then does the same but the zgemma that doesn't work just goes on, off ,on , off .....

Last edited:
It could be the router is seeing it as the same name zgemma and trying to giving it the same ip address as working box, but the mac address is unique so shouldnt really be happening like that. I think as u say weve now exhausted all avenues and its time to get a swap out for a new box.

gibbletts I've had boxes of different makes but this one has gave me more grief in 24 hours than all the others put together, my old dreambox is still going strong after 5 or 6 years now it's time to contact the seller and sometimes they don't want to know anything so it's more hassle again sending it back or getting a refund especially with the guy in the red suit just around the corner

I heard they're great boxes m8 a bit pricey but when I think about it all I've really bought is a souped up dreambox with a USB port and a sky skin, phoned the seller and he asked if it was working before I said yes for a minute then explained things, well tried to he's saying that if it's my fault I'll have to pay extra for it to be repaired and said he sells 100s a week and hasn't got time to do checks over the phone but did ask me to check cables switch the power button off then it should reboot but I had told him I had done all the checks etc but he was as useless as his box! So I've to send it back plus probably pay a fee plus postage obviously. So much for the 12 months warranty and support and customers always being right!

Back