Guide A guide to the best boxes for IPTV 2021

I am not quite sure about that you would not include 4k upscaling or a dedicated netflix button on a device to play games. like i said in a earlier post the sheild is streets ahead of a z8. (it should be backlit for the price)

I can defintley say epg loading times and channel zapping is pretty much instant on the sheild. The same cannot be said about the z8. one of the reasons i sold my z8 was for the bulky remote.

At the end of the day a 4k firestick is a dedicated streaming device and can handle IPTV quite easily. But if you are a bit geeky like me you like something with a few more bells and whistles.

The only true IPTV box is a mag box. Formuler and Buzz boxes are android boxes with a dedicated app although obviously with a higher spec than the lower end box.

A sheild is just a all round android box which will handle just about anything thrown at it.
why would you say the only true IPTV box is a mag box? Is the process more seamless on mag boxes than android boxes?

It’s not a very extensive list and not very informative either tbh.
It's a start and covers the most popular devices and shows you which codecs can be direct played on what device. There are other data points that can be added as well. I have it as an excel on my machine and keep adding to it. If you have a better resource, please share it.

For example, I added data points about the new onn box to the current one and so on about formuler boxes etc.

Last edited:
So was originally considering Mag 540 or 544. Not sure what's the difference from them both since the spec sheet looks the same but it appears some here suggest the formuler z11. Would that be overkill if I only need to use it for iptv and no gaming or other media? What else can I use the z11 for other than iptv sub? Does it matter if I go for a linux box or android for just an iptv sub?

If you need to ask that question you need to get out more. You can't seriously compare apple TV to a genuine android system with the freedom of apps available.
I can mate , I have an apple TV 4K , 2 x shields , an ONN $20 box and have justreturned from the states with the new ONN $50 version which I will post with my thoughts on as soon as I unbox it and give it a spin.
The Apple box is my main device , its way snappier than the shield its tha absolute dogs imo.
Tivimax on it is same as tivimate on the shield. Plex App runs all my own vod content.
I don't have a need for any other apps.

The reason most people use android is due to choice of apps. And it expands what you can do.

E.g

1. If you are happy with iptv and your suppliers vod mag fine.

2. Apple TV boxes probably not as restrictive as mag boxes but nowhere near the choice of apps avaliable.

So there ate no rights or wrongs in reality you buy a device for your needs. But a android device is the most versatile box on the market. Then it's down to specs you require.

It's a start and covers the most popular devices and shows you which codecs can be direct played on what device. There are other data points that can be added as well. I have it as an excel on my machine and keep adding to it. If you have a better resource, please share it.

For example, I added data points about the new onn box to the current one and so on about formuler boxes etc.

I don’t really have any resources because I gather information from many different places when deciding on a device that suits my needs.
I like the latest Amlogic chipset and running Android os not TVOS.

IPTV doesn’t need much resources to run and will run on any have decent devices.
It’s when you start to need a device that will play remux files with all the different codecs that you start to find some devices just don’t cut it.

There are lots of devices out there so good luck covering more of them if you intend to do so.

The biggest stumbling block you have though is people use devices in so many different ways that it is impossible to cover all the different programs and apps used.
Also how people view their media, whether locally or streaming it using different software, apps and the configurations of it all.
Configuration of TVS and AVR’s also will be different.

Last edited:
I don’t really have any resources because I gather information from many different places when deciding on a device that suits my needs.
I like the latest Amlogic chipset and running Android os not TVOS.

IPTV doesn’t need much resources to run and will run on any have decent devices.
It’s when you start to need a device that will play remux files with all the different codecs that you start to find some devices just don’t cut it.

There are lots of devices out there so good luck covering more of them if you intend to do so.

The biggest stumbling block you have though is people use devices in so many different ways that it is impossible to cover all the different programs and apps used.
Also how people view their media, whether locally or streaming it using different software, apps and the configurations of it all.
Configuration of TVS and AVR’s also will be different.
If you buy the higher end they will handle pretty much anything you throw at them

Buzz
Formuler
Sheild

I can mate , I have an apple TV 4K , 2 x shields , an ONN $20 box and have justreturned from the states with the new ONN $50 version which I will post with my thoughts on as soon as I unbox it and give it a spin.
The Apple box is my main device , its way snappier than the shield its tha absolute dogs imo.
Tivimax on it is same as tivimate on the shield. Plex App runs all my own vod content.
I don't have a need for any other apps.
The Apple TV 4K should be snappier because its ANTUTU bench score is a lot higher than the Shield pro.
Tbh it’s one of the highest I have reportedly seen on a streaming device.

I like Apple phones but as for using one of their streaming devices they are to restricting for my needs.

Last edited:
The Apple TV 4K should be snappier because its ANTUTU bench score is a lot higher than the Shield pro.
Tbh it’s one of the highest I have reportedly seen on a streaming device.

I like Apple phones but as for using one of their streaming devices they are to restricting for my needs.

Don't think you can sideload on apple. I know you could tether phones at one time and pretty much get free apps.

My sister has had an apple tv 4k box that she used before IPTV.

She now has IPTV on it and it does seem great but as above limited apps so not much good if provider doesn't want to give out DNS they can't use providers hard coded apps.

Back