a780 gliching bad

I believe there was a channel reshuffle last night so i would try a factory default and a new scan on your box, making sure you have got your correct Net Id selected.

I believe there was a channel reshuffle last night so i would try a factory default and a new scan on your box, making sure you have got your correct Net Id selected.

did all that this morning, still gliting every 30 seconds or so, then scramble, back on ,for secs then freeze, then same again,
rescanned on true area off vm box, straight feed from wall, still bad glitching

there is a simple answer then,it is kryptview's responsibility to supply boxes that will do the job they are intended for,people saying there are no subs to pay won't wash any more, i do not see the point in laying out money when you cannot enjoy watching your tv

Thats just "pie in the sky" wishful thinking. If you want a guaranteed installation then you need to subscribe to VM and get a subscription box fitted by their engineers.

Its simply not practical to have a third party box self fitted and for it to function in all cases. There are just to many different things that can go wrong. One of the main problems is people fitting devices like splitters without appreciating that they effectively halve the signal levels. A VM engineer would simply increase your incomming signal to compensate but 'self' installers cant do that.

Cable isn't like sat where everybody, within a narrow range assuming dishes properly aligned etc, gets the same signal levels. Levels differ considerably dependant on a number of circumstances.

if your getting the no signal message that is from your cable supplier not kv.who knows how to check an incoming signal for highs and lows?

Thats just "pie in the sky" wishful thinking. If you want a guaranteed installation then you need to subscribe to VM and get a subscription box fitted by their engineers.

Its simply not practical to have a third party box self fitted and for it to function in all cases. There are just to many different things that can go wrong. One of the main problems is people fitting devices like splitters without appreciating that they effectively halve the signal levels. A VM engineer would simply increase your incomming signal to compensate but 'self' installers cant do that.

Cable isn't like sat where everybody, within a narrow range assuming dishes properly aligned etc, gets the same signal levels. Levels differ considerably dependant on a number of circumstances.

Whilst I agree that a 3rd party box would never be as reliable as a genuine subscription box, I would still expect the service to be acceptable.

At the moment it is just unwatchable. I suppose in some cases it could be down to signal level, but my sig strength is around 77 for most channels & Quality around 86/93. I don't think my problem is sig strength, so even for those that might have low sig strength, I don't believe that increasing it would solve the glitching problem.

Whilst I agree that a 3rd party box would never be as reliable as a genuine subscription box, I would still expect the service to be acceptable.

The main problem here is expectation. What do you deem acceptable ?

Its a cardshare box. There WILL be problems. There will be times when the server goes down or malfunctions. There will be times when the internet goes down or simply becomes too slow to deliver timely cardshare responses. There will be times when channels cease working. If you use cardshare this is an expected consequence.

For anyone that wants 100% guaranteed viewing then the ONLY solution is a subscription box, and we all know that not even that is 100% guaranteed (especially on VirginMedia).

If you choose cardshare then you must realise that you are choosing a system that is more suited to hobbyists than to the general population. It has limitations, not least that the real providers are continuously trying to eliminate the servers by all sorts of counter measures as well as by more physical means.

At the moment it is just unwatchable. I suppose in some cases it could be down to signal level, but my sig strength is around 77 for most channels & Quality around 86/93. I don't think my problem is sig strength, so even for those that might have low sig strength, I don't believe that increasing it would solve the glitching problem.

The displayed signal/quality levels really dont tell you anything except maybe for trend. Its perfectly possible to have level/quality indicators at 100% yet still not get a glitch-free picture, even on the fta channels. The reason is the fairly complex modulation scheme used which has recently become even more complex (now each single transmitted 'bit' can represent upto 256 discrete levels rather than the previous 64 discrete levels) Noise or timing jitter within your signal can cause stream breakup.

There's also the internet side to think about. If your internet becomes slow, for whatever reason, then you wont get promt delivery of the decryption codewords. The internet is a big variable. Routes can change moment to moment causing data response times to vary from milliseconds to seconds. Locally, ubr utilisation is a problem on many of vm's nodes with local traffic peaks often making those nodes virtually unusable.

Thats all before we get to potential server problems. The first problem is location. For very obvious reasons the servers cannot be located in the UK or even the EU. That means 'ping' times start to stretch making the whole timing issue even more critical. Even relatively small internet flow problems can have major effects to the ontime delivery of decryption data.

There's also a host of other potential server issues ranging from cards going down, to channels changing position, to countermeasures, to human error. There's a lot of stuff that can go wrong so the suprising thing is that it actually works so well for the majority of people most of the time !

did all that this morning, still gliting every 30 seconds or so, then scramble, back on ,for secs then freeze, then same again,
rescanned on true area off vm box, straight feed from wall, still bad glitching

So does this mean your net is 100% working ?? if your net is not working at its optimun you will also have them problems, check your providers website and see what they are saying, also sometimes they dont even bother putting it on the webpage, so who knows.

Just watched brave on sly disney...well not technically me but i had to keep an eye out on the girls..lol glitch free.. No such thing as a free lunch..It could be a KV issue or a Vermin issue.. but either way you just roll with the punches... 150 for the box..vermin basic package + sly sports + movies + espn + box nation(we all love a good punch up..lol) + sky movies box office (currently on ch 1029..liam "hannibal smith" neeson..ah just finished while typing this dunno what film is but ending song is alex clare.. too close..safe tune!!) all this for 65 quid a month ( wheelo whats that in euros..!! not cypriot ones..!! lol. Been on KV for 3 years and a Dbox for 4 and a super box for the other one (early SV..!! lol) and we use to get ALL the pay per views.. sly and setanta (even wrestlemania..really real wrestling..thats for you regular show fans..lol.. so for 8 years at approx 60 quid a month... (even when it went off for six weeks a couple of years back and the odd couple of days here and there KV were down but they sorted out their business and we are still getting it free.. or it would of cost me so far approx 5760 quid.. so what will it be..!!

Moved my box the other day and had to get longer connections including new ethrenet (I was using a poundland one) the glitching has now virtually stopped for the price it costs to replace the cable its got to be worth a try

people dont think its their problems that is the cause,you have to do your best set up with good cables and good connections to at least narrow down the problems you may get.

Just watched brave on sly disney...well not technically me but i had to keep an eye out on the girls.. glitch free..

Don't know if it was the same yesterday, but Sly Disney is currently FTA, so you won't get any glitches on that channel.

---------- Post Merged at 02:52 PM ----------

The main problem here is expectation. What do you deem acceptable ?...

MrBeattie...Very good post. I do actually agree with everything you posted.

I am a new user of the Kryptview, so don't know the history of the reliability of it. As I said earlier (or it may have been in another thread), I have had occasional good periods of "watchability", but it seems like it depends on which channels you are watching. I like GOLD and it appears that for some reason this channel glitches more than some others. Out of curiosity, I timed ON/OFF times with a stopwatch (yeah, I know it's sad! :) ). Over a 10 minute period it glitched 21 times, with the channel being frozen or showing the "scrambled" message for 3m 29s. So that's around a third of the time that the channel is not viewable. I consider that unwatchable.

Now I know that I am paying nothing towards watching these channels, but if channels are unwatchable because of constant long periods of glitching, then it doesn't matter how much or little you have paid for it, it is still unwatchable. I don't mean to sound like a whinger. I mean, even if the box didn't work at all, I would only have myself to blame in trying to be a tight so & so for trying to get something for nothing.;)

I have eliminated all the variables that I can at my end. I have an Openbox working fine at the moment, which was disconnected during the above experiment in case it interfered with the Kryptview accessing the router.

ps...while typing this post I changed channel to Sly Premiere (currently showing Spiderman) & not 1 glitch! So, like I said above, some channels are a lot worse than others.

ps...while typing this post I changed channel to Sly Premiere (currently showing Spiderman) & not 1 glitch! So, like I said above, some channels are a lot worse than others.

Try and see if your problem is with a particular transponder (frequency). There's usually 6-10 video channels on each SD transponder (1-3 on HD). If you find 3 or 4 problem channels all on the same frequency then chances are you have some interference affecting that frequency.

Try and see if your problem is with a particular transponder (frequency). There's usually 6-10 video channels on each SD transponder (1-3 on HD). If you find 3 or 4 problem channels all on the same frequency then chances are you have some interference affecting that frequency.

I would have replied earlier, but for some reason didn't get an email notification from techkings.

I will check later to see what channels are glitching the worst & look at their frequencies. I wish there was a way of dumping the channel list with all their parameters like you could with the old Dbox2. It made it easy then to see which channels were on which transponders.

I remember in the Dbox2 days that my old pc actually caused interference problems with 1 transponder. I'm using a different pc now, but I will try turning it off anyway to see if it makes a difference.

OK where do I start? Just after my post above, I checked GOLD & it was working perfectly, no glitching whatsoever (watched over an hour of "Last of The Summer Wine" just to prove it LOL). Checked loads of other channels. All working fine.

Later on, around 8.30pm or so, not only was GOLD glitching every few seconds or so, but so was every other channel that I randomly picked. I tried rebooting the box, the iConnector & the router...no change. I turned off the pc so that the A750 was the only device using the router...no change. I even switched of my boiler & all the lights in the house (in case the energy-saving bulbs were interfering with the box - clutching at straws now)...still no change.

Later on still, around 11.30pm watched GOLD again for the remaining part of "Not the 9 O'clock News". Working perfect again. Not 1 glitch!

I really cannot think of anything at my end causing this.

Well you are certainly very thorough Kremmen, very much the way I problem solve. Even though it looks like a server to VM problem it is always worth exausting all other options. Unfortunately it looks like sitting tight and waiting.

jodav :)

I even switched of my boiler & all the lights in the house (in case the energy-saving bulbs were interfering with the box - clutching at straws now)...still no change

Funnily enough, I had an issue with my a850 in that the picture would flicker and go blank every time the compressor on my fridge freezer (all the sockets in my flat are on the same circuit) kicked in.

I did a bit of research and it turned out the cheap HDMI lead it came with was the culprit and once swapped for a decent one the problem disappeared.

I started to ask myself how/why such a tiny spike in voltage should cause such a noticable issue and it got me thinking about what might actually be causing the glitching on the boxes. I have a hunch (complete guess) that it is a voltage/signal noise issue. I use a variable attenuator on my box and it does help minimise the glitching but I wonder if as well as reducing the overall signal strength it is also attenuating the voltage/cleaning up some of the noise on the line improving the overall signal quality. Could be a million miles out mind you it's a complete guess!

Last edited:
on all my equipment i used surge protection,every cable has its own protector if you dont have much equipment
HTML:
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4175
or more than usual lol
HTML:
http://www.monsterproducts.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5514&id=8965

remember cheap or old cables are not shielded enough and the little things get overlooked.

Cheers Cactikid. It seems to be a known issue with some cheap HDMI cables. It was a bit worrying and yeah the first thing I did was buy a decent surge protector just in case! :encouragement:

i used the hdmi cable i got with boxes,i said i can improve it,i stick with monster cables they are expensive but do the business.

Back