Egg fried rice

Jolskjaer

Anyone on here know how to make egg fried rice like the takeaway? Ive Tried it several times but it isn't the same.

make omelette,chop up,add oil to hot pan,add rice,stir fry add egg peas and sesame oil (drop)and stir fry for about a minute.

a recipe section, who would have taught, as for egg fried rice, whisk egg on bowl, add to hot pan, mix until cooked, like omlette or scrambled egg, then add the boiled rice, add turmeric if you want it yellow color. and mix the shit out of it, the tip is to make sure the rice is dry, and the egg is fully cooked. if your boiled rice is starchy or sticky run it under cold water until it is starch free. its doesnt take long to heat the rice back up in the pan of egg.

Anyone on here know how to make egg fried rice like the takeaway? Ive Tried it several times but it isn't the same.

I boil my rice, wash and drain.
Put in the fridge for a few hours.

Cook the egg omelette style put rice in, add spring onion, five spice, pepper and soy sauce, cook till warm.

Perfect for me and the kids mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a couple of things that are worth knowing.

First the rice needs to be right kind - I recommend Basmati (or less preferably, Yankee long grain), because the cooked rice will then remain firm and dry when cooked. At the other end of the spectrum, if you use Thai or Japanese rice the result will likely be a gooey mess. Horses for courses, so to speak.

No need to make the omelette, nor would most restaurants or takeaways - who has the time to fry the eggs and chop the omelette into tiny pieces? In fact you do not even need to put the eggs in a bowl and beat them.

All you need to do, is to put the cooked rice into a hot wok that has been sufficiently coated with oil (Chinese swear by peanut oil - but the difference is small), then use the ladle to shape the rice like a volcano (big dimple in the middle), then break all the eggs into the dimple fairly quickly, then stir the egg up a little within the dimple before stirring it all up together with the rice - that's it! If you stir them all together quickly (before the egg has a chance of being cooked when it hits the metal surface of the wok), the eggs will be in teeny tiny pieces, if not, you will get some larger "omelette like pieces" - your choice, and control is easy once you get the hang of it, if it matters to you!
For added flavour, I recommend some Maggi liquid seasoning or variants (cheap in big ~700ml bottles in Chinese supermarkets, small 100ml bottles are at nearly the same price:damn:in normal supermarkets) if you think salt boring - the stuff is far more tasty than conventional soy sauce. You can add chopped spring onions, char siu, prawns, petit pois, sweet corns etc. if required.

BTW anybody who eats rice regularly is mad not to buy a rice cooker. Don't bother with them imported ones sold in Chinese supermarkets - some are ridiculously overpriced. Tefal's 8-in-1 is a fab machine for a reasonable price: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-RK30...r_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1483209137&sr=1-1.

Cheers!

I once had a rice cooker until the coating came off the bottom.
I now use a ceramic coated pan with glass lid. I use 2 cups of boiled water per cup of rice.
Simmer for 20 minutes on low heat NEVER remove the lid during the cooking process.
After 20 minutes turn off heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes, then fluff rice up.
I agree that chilled cooked rice works better for fried rice.
As others have mentioned to get authentic taste here in UK I use MSG and sesame oil, with a dash of soy sauce.

Back