Is copying contents from hdd to ssd easy.

cactikid

VIP Member
Laptop has gone slow and wonder if my hdd is going down as very slow. I do have have an ssd i could fit but never transferred the whole contents and how to
Cheers

yes just clone hdd to sdd as @jigger121 mentioned but do you ever do any type of so called housekeeping on the hard drive deleating temp files e.t.c or even right clicking on hard drive then selecting properties and do disk cleanup. Here is a small program I have used for years called UnCleaner it was developed my member on MDL years back.
you would be surprised how much space can be taken up by files in temp directory.

Attachments

• UnCleaner v1.7 Setup.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    20.8 KB · Views: 6
Housekeeping no 😂 but on number of occasions i have cleaned out many downloaded files as taking up space and as getting slow more stuff might need removing.

Used 54.2
Free 168
Dont look like much stuff on it as disk clean up ran for 5 seconds 😂

Last edited:
Housekeeping no 😂 but on number of occasions i have cleaned out many downloaded files as taking up space and as getting slow more stuff might need removing.
I store downloads and drive image backups on another hard drive, In fact I did exactly what you want to do a few years back.
On my Laptop I cloned my hard drive to sdd and once done I replaced hard drive with the ssd but I also removed cdrom that I never really used and bought a hard drive caddy exsamples: dvd drive caddy products for sale | eBay
and put the hard drive in that once I new sdd was working ok.
You need format hard drive if you are going to put it into caddy or there will be problems windows wanting to boot from two devices

Not sure if i have a cd or dvd that needs removing as i have a big Pioneer Blu Ray i can use for films . Music i can play in extension with my 5-1
Think i have a few passports as used up any caddies i had for movies.
Yes old one will very much come out as just need to find my ssd and a cable to clone it.

Used 54.2
Free 168
Dont look like much stuff on it as disk clean up ran for 5 seconds 😂
did you also select cleanup system files in disk cleanup there you will fnd more

Meeting on the table , laptop , ssd and cable so now to format my ssd first hopefully not hdd

Ssd plugged in via usb not seen and lights on ssd , only 1 drive seen in laptop.
Restarted and still the same not seen to format.

Last edited:
Meeting on the table , laptop , ssd and cable so now to format my ssd first hopefully not hdd

Ssd plugged in via usb not seen and lights on ssd , only 1 drive seen in laptop.
Restarted and still the same not seen to format.
windows file manager right click this pc and select manage then disk management, then intitialise and format but that is only if you want to copy files and have both hard drive and sdd in laptop.
But you just cannot copy files over if you want to use sdd as main drive you need to disk copying software sdd will not be bootable

clone-hard-drive

there are other free ones availble like one posted

Last edited:
Back