NOWTV & ZGemma Box

wivelden

Just bought a NowTV box seeing as they were on offer of £15 and put in the bedroom upstairs. I wanted to know if you could stream from my ZGemma downstairs to the NOWTV box upstairs with some sort of addon/hack to the NowTv box?

I know you can get plex on both boxes but I'm not sure how you would set it up I use raspberry pi2 with kodi to stream upstairs

You won't be able to do what you're attempting with a now TV box.

Dreamplex and plex for the now TV are both clients. They can stream files from a plex server (computer etc) but not live pictures from one to the other.

That iptv git would allow you to take a live stream, put it into a m3u file on the server and then stream it on the client. Again not what you're after.

Potentially you could do it, but it won't be easy. I'll outline how I would go about it, but it will be far from ideal.

Basically you need a computer to act as the plex server between the sat box and the now tv box. You would need plex installed on the computer along with the IPTV.bundle dsayers2014 linked. You would then need to create a custom playlist. There is a sample playlist included in the plugin that you can edit.

If you have openwebif installed on your box, navigate to it in your browser. Select a channel and click stream, this will give you the m3u file. Open this up in notepad and copy the contents into your custom playlist, do this for all channels that you wish to stream. Then follow the instructions in the plugin for opening the streams on the client.

I haven't done this personally, but I'm confident that it will work. Obviously it's not ideal as you need the plex server running at all times, unless you already have a dedicated plex server.

I think I may have found a way for you do do this without the need of a computer as the server. Hopefully you should be able to setup the sat box as the server.

Install the plugin 'dlna server' on your sat box. Hopefully this should allow the sat box to be seen on the network as a server. You then need a client on the now TV box. Playto seems to be compatible and from what I've read can be installed onto the now TV.

This should then allow you to stream from the sat box to the now TV. However, I think it may only allow you to stream your recordings. In this case you would need to create a folder on the hdd of the sat box and place all of the m3u files in that I mentioned earlier. You should then be able to play these files, which will open the streams.

An an alternative to creating the m3u files is a plugin called mediatomb, but I think it is no longer developed and therefore not sure if it still works.

Either way, I'm sure this is possible, but might take some reading and tinkering to get it to work. Let us know how you get on.

edit: before you go to all this trouble, just to warn you I'm not 100% sure that playto can act as a dlna client. If you can find a dlna client for the now TV, then this method should work (at the moment I'm struggling to find one). If not, you'll have to go the plex route.

edit2: if it is a smart TV that you're trying to stream to, then most likely it will have dlna connectivity without the need for the now TV box.

Last edited:
Just to update you. I had a bit of time today, so I thought I'd have a go at putting the theory into practice. I don't have a now TV box, but I do have an Amazon fire stick.

Ive managed to set it up to stream from the zgemma to the fire stick using the plex app and the plex server installed on a pc.

let me know if you need anymore help getting it to work.

Can you please shed some more light upon this subject jules190

I have a now tv box with rarplex installed on it along with a rpi2bkodi setup with a plex server hosting my music collection on a hdd and a debian server running plex serving my video collection (full pc) but it refuses to install vlc on it so i use a win 10 tablet, to listen to music and watch films as i am stuck in bed 22 hours a day, but i have the nowtv box on a dumb tv and would like to use the tv to watch from the zgemma s2 in the lounge downstairs. Sat tv via stream to the nowtv on my tv sounds like a good plan..

Cheers
Sirhc

Ok, if I understand you correctly you have two plex servers currently? You need to install the IPTV.bundle from this link onto one of the servers:

https://github.com/Cigaras/IPTV.bundle

Then you need to open a web browser and type in the ip address of your zgemma, which will open up Openwebif. Assuming you have an 'All Channels' bouquet, find this in the list and there is tv screen icon next to it. When you mouseover it reads 'download playlist for all channels'. Click on this and it will download services.m3u.

Rename services.m3u to playlist.m3u and then copy it to \Plug-ins\IPTV.bundle\Contents\Resources on the plex server that you installed the plugin and overwrite the original copy of playlist.m3u.

Then open plex on your client (Now TV) and go to channels > iptv > all and you should have a list of all of the channels, selecting a channel will open the stream.

The channel list may take a long time to load due to the number of streams. If this is an issue, open playlist.m3u in notepad and remove the streams for the channels that you don't require.

I should also mention that I have only tried this on an Amazon Fire TV with plex client, not a Now TV. I'm not sure exactly how well a Now TV will be able to handle the playback, if someone tries it, then maybe you can let us know.

thanks jules,

i just wanted to know if i had missed a step some where but alas i have tried every step you have mentioned in your post apart from i selected each bouquet, sports, ents, movies and made them seperate lists instead of one huge list.

the zgemma spits out seperate audio and video streams and they need to be transcoded back into a single stream for the now tv box (by the plex iptv plugin) but it seems that the plugin just cant handle the job of playing or transcoding them unless i am missing codecs or some other vital part.

i will install pms on my laptop again and see if it can play the zgemma stream in plex iptv plugin then i can rule codec problems out or maybe look for an alt transcoder for debian.
i will just have to stick with vlc doing the streaming in my tablet the now.

thanks again jules190

sirhc

No problem. I think it is probably a codec issue. It's not the plugin as I have it working flawlessly on the fire TV stick. However if I attempt to play the stream through plex on my laptop, it refuses to play.

If you have kodi installed on your raspberry pi you can install plexmbc and try it through there if it's convenient to Connect this to the TV.

The only other thing you could try is using the actual plex client rather than rarflix. You can download it from here in case you wanted to try.

http://www.martystrong.co.uk/support/Plex-NowTV-2_8_2.zip

Back