Cable Openwebif security

I think I made my point pretty clear. Having a DDNS address is no less secure than having a fixed. What's to stop anyone scavenging your fixed IP and running a targeted sniff attack for a prolonged period of time?
I need to explain.?
the IPs that can access your internal IPs are fixed,
yes, IPs can be spoofed, as can MACs, but then those passwords need cracked again,
as for sniffing, it can only happen when access is denied and sent back, so you simply have your settings to not send denial back, no packages exchanged,

I dont know if you use windoze or not, but if you use Linux you should know this stuff, its inbuilt pretty much by default.

What does that even mean? All IP's are fixed at some point.

Don't patronise mate!

I'm not patronising you,
but they are not fixed at the point of access,
and they are certainly not fixed at the point of use, why do you think most peoples IPs change on some random basis.?
that is why your ISP charges a premium for you to have an IP that they cant allocate randomly as and when they need one.
so, just where are they fixed.?
apart from an ISP having a selection of available IPs that have been allocated to them, they are not fixed anywhere really, unless you have a fixed IP

I'm not patronising you,
but they are not fixed at the point of access,
and they are certainly not fixed at the point of use, why do you think most peoples IPs change on some random basis.?
that is why your ISP charges a premium for you to have an IP that they cant allocate randomly as and when they need one.
so, just where are they fixed.?
apart from an ISP having a selection of available IPs that have been allocated to them, they are not fixed anywhere really, unless you have a fixed IP
I cant really argue the point with you without explaining how basic network address mapping works.

I do 'Windoze' and networking for a multi-tier local government as my job so I'm not arguing for no reason.

As long as your router firewall is on and there are no ports forwarded and open to all then having a DDNS address is fine. I'm not going to keep the discussion going so by all means keep pushing on. Have a good one bud. TC

Back