Opinions please on new box

As previously mentioned in the thread both boxes have their advantages... The processor at the heart of the box is the same but the Edision has 256Mb more NAND Flash The Edision seems ever so slightly quicker but there's not much in it.

For a Noob you can't beat the ease of setup with whooshbuild (only on the Zgemma H.2s of the two here) and IMHO OpenATV is superior to ViX. The Zgemma has proven reliability - sure there are loads of people on TK that have posted problems with these boxes but that's cause so many have been sold and the box is targeted as entry level. I've only heard of a few with true issues (usually user error and very occasionally a problem with tuner B) and my two boxes have been going strong since they first came out. (I was one of the first to have a 2S and got a H.2S the week they launched). They seem incredibly reliable.

The Edisions can run ViX (although IMHO OpenATV is better and as recommended by the box manufacturer) the main seller in the UK offers a two year warranty but you're more likely to need it...As has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread the quality control on these amazingly isn't as good as the Zgemmas. You'll be building your image yourself which can appear daunting to a first time user of an Enigma2 box but if you can follow instructions there's plenty of step by step guides on this site - it might take a little longer but your understanding of what each bit does will mean you'll actually spend less time seeking support as your knowledge grows as part of the process. The main advantage to me of the Edision is that there's built in wi-fi and bluetooth which you'll have to purchase a dongle for the zgemma if not connecting with a physical network cable. The remote control can also control your TV, DVD and VCR (if anyone still has one of these!) on the Edision but it feels crap and you'll have to look at the button before pressing whereas the layout of the zgemma H.2S remote is much more logical and you can use it without looking at it but it will only control your sat box and your tv if you enable HDMICEC.

Both are good boxes - personally I'm leaning slightly towards the Edision now as the exchange rate now makes it about £20 difference between the two.

Thank you so much everybody taking the time to reply. think ill go for the zgemma h2s. And that would have the same layout as slyboxes? Channel number etc?

You get that on any enigma2 box
they all run the same plugs
98% of the time

but they all run the basics of what you need

Oooo, we nearly had him lol

As mentioned earlier, you would be best using an OpenATV based image for the Zgemma (y)

Vix have blocked the plugins to them

Last edited:
put it this way do you want to look at live tv or constant meddling when zgemma have all those problem posts to read,issues with flashing boxes and second tuner that many have issues with?

put it this way do you want to look at live tv or constant meddling when zgemma have all those problem posts to read,issues with flashing boxes and second tuner that many have issues with?

All those problem posts new members or low knowledge users have with Enigma2 that are not specific to the Zgemma brand would be more accurate... if the VU range were under £100 the forum would be full of problem posts in that section too.

Last edited:
Yes, I think that is what he is saying siilver.

The number of zgemma sales will far out way any other box for people starting out in say the last 12 - 18 months. More and more people are asking which box to buy and for advice. Buying a box off the shelf means you have to read, learn and ask questions and oddly enough this is the largest forum for zgemma box support I have seen so funnily enough users will naturally come here. Then when they ask their question I think cacti marks his little red book as another zgemma box with issues and therefor is broken. When he see's 200 questions, Zgemma must be having so many boxes returned because they are all failing so badly.

Steviegard - as mtpockets posted and hundreds of others elsewhere on the forum, for an entry level box you pretty much have the choice of a Zgemma or a Edision. Basically the same spec except for wireless and bluetooth in the Edision, but do exactly the same things.

Zgemma boxes are very very VERY popular due to price and regardless of cactikid's hatred towards them for whatever reason, are very stable solid boxes. I personally am not a fan of the Edision as, in my opinion <- note the opinion cacti, they look quite cheap and the remote, although multi function is handy, it is also cheap looking and had sticky button, but may have been caused by certain channels - eeewwww.

Both boxes do the same thing, the same speed and will last as long as they last - just like anything else you buy nowadays.

I cannot fault any of the zgemma boxes I have here. Nor any I have sorted for friends and family. Whats more, the Vu+ Solo4k and Vu+ Zero I have here do exactly the same thing as both the Edison an Zgemma bu have a larger price tag.

Yea the zgemma are not the most powerful box in the world. But if you want a free sat box that does the job. It's great for the price

you can buy a £300+ and you will have the same problems, but you will be able to do more, iptv and plex better

Yea the zgemma are not the most powerful box in the world. But if you want a free sat box that does the job. It's great for the price

you can buy a £300+ and you will have the same problems, but you will be able to do more, iptv and plex better

But nor is the Edision. Both with give you Free sat as standard and with a bit of magic more channels.

Th Vu+ Zero I have is £100 but is only a single tuner. Whats more is that it is the same speed as the Zgemma and Edision so has less features than both boxes. It doesn't even have an LCD clock on the front to tell you what it is doing, it just has a white LED. It works and it is stable like the other two are. The remote is a multi functional one and is nice, but should be for £100 for a single tuner box.

------------------------------------------------------

Off that back of this I have just had a chat to a box reseller I know who has sold 441 boxes. Out of those boxes, 4 have been needed to be returned to the original supplier for replacement due to hardware failure.

1% failure rate, that is just 10 boxes in 1000 sold at that rate. I know this is one re-seller, but just goes to show that a 1% hardware failure rate indicates user error or just general "how do you do" curiosity questions.

Last edited:
oddly enough this is the largest forum for zgemma box support I have seen so funnily enough users will naturally come here

Lots of forums won't entertain Zgemma due to their past record when Airdigital the box manufacturer released the Cloud Ibox and it's many problems.

3 models in about twelve months, no longer supported, lots had their fingers burned.

And although they aren't seen as clones by many, Airdigital have brought out 10 different Zgemma models in approx 2 yrs.

All have very similar specs to boxes already on the market, how well supported is the Zgemma S ?

Just sayin like lol

Remember Starview lol

Remember Starview

No, I am a noob still compared to you old timer buggers on here with only 13 months under my belt, it just seems like I have been around longer to you all lol.

But on a whole and for anyone else looking for an entry level box, apart from cactikid, we all agree that the original poster steviegard will be safe going for either the Zgemma H2S (H) or Edision os mini box for his £150 and will get everything he needs and still have change left?

Just to confuse even more
Get this one

Mutant HD1500 HD H.265 HEVC Linux Enigma2 Twin Tuner DVB-S/S2 Digital Satellite Receiver

It’s no secret that the people behind Zgemma have a dodgy past & those members who have been around a while will know what I mean, but in all ‘honesty’ each & every person who uses this system is shall we say a little dodgy themselves or they wouldn’t be using any of these sat boxes!

To be fair to the current Zgemma range the boxes punch well above their price tag & perform very well indeed against the more expensive better named brands, it seems to me that those who insist on pulling down Zgemma don’t own or use Zgemma’s so can’t offer an informed opinion, I am trying to be respectful to ALL our members so please don’t jump on me but IF they are relying on old knowledge perhaps they should buy one… IF nothing else they will see that these cheap boxes are easy to setup & to coin a phrase ‘do what it says on the tin’

This way it would stop the negative & confusing information new members are reading, stop the incorrect statements put up by normally respected members!

Box wont flash, usb wont flash, tuner problems etc etc have all been confirmed as utter rubbish…its user knowledge or outdated info 99% of the time.

Thats why there is different boxes to buy
You don't like it don't buy it
Doesn't mean it's not a good box because of a third party element or its not up to the persons standards

All those problem posts new members or low knowledge users have with Enigma2 that are not specific to the Zgemma brand

How many other E2 boxes are there out there

Vu
Gigablue
Technomate
Edision
Mutant
Miraclebox
Extrend

To name a few, and a range of boxes within each manufacturer,how many problem posts do you see for these boxes

All these boxes are E2 and can use the same set up method, regardless of the manufacturer.

That is after all the idea of third party firmware isn't it ?

Putting all these together they still don't add up to the amount of posts in the "various" Zgemma E2 sections lol

Last edited:
All those problem posts new members or low knowledge users have with Enigma2 that are not specific to the Zgemma brand

How many other E2 boxes are there out there

Vu
Gigablue
Technomate
Edision
Mutant
Miraclebox
Extrend

To name a few, and a range of boxes within each manufacturer,how many problem posts do you see for these boxes

All these boxes are E2 and can use the same set up method, regardless of the manufacturer.

That is after all the idea of third party firmware isn't it ?

Putting all these together they still don't add up to the amount of posts in the "various" Zgemma E2 sections lol

Bees....Did it occur to you that the reason for no posts regarding the above is that everybody has bought a zgemma ?.....lmao

And one box from the above extrend8500 has a long ongoing thread on here about poor quality/dodgy tuners etc (and i have one)

Back