SD channels quality

Goto openwebeif, take a screenshot, that will prove/disprove several things

I have checked SD channels on openwebif and on TV as well and for me I believe quality is better on openwebif. How is that even possible?

@cactikid on my settings I have "display 4:3 and 16:9 content as" just scale is that wrong setting?

I believe I have on just scale settings as before on some channels the picture did not cover whole screen but showed as small box.

Last edited by a moderator:
@cactikid on my settings I have "display 4:3 and 16:9 content as" just scale is that wrong setting?

I believe I have on just scale settings as before on some channels the picture did not cover whole screen but showed as small box.
Try changing them to my settings and see if it is better as i think it will be,movies in hd usually have the box above and below picture.
Old episodes of Star Trek are in a box picture.

Ye did change to your settings instead of just scale but some channels picture doesnt cover whole screen.

It like covers half screen.

Post a screenshot to see if its normal like are you getting a black space on top and below main picture=letterbox
Pillarbox = black bars to each side of picture.

User interface { setting on box } when a new box or image is used it adjusts picture to fit tv screen so no white bits on edges.

Post a screenshot to see if its normal like are you getting a black space on top and below main picture=letterbox
Pillarbox = black bars to each side of picture.

User interface { setting on box } when a new box or image is used it adjusts picture to fit tv screen so no white bits on edges.

On some channels It seems black bars on each side of picture.

Do I need to change setting on user interface?

Isnt it ok just to leave both settings at "just scale"?

Ok black bars each side are from old recorded shows and will change automatically when a newer show comes on.
I dont use scale as it changes quality of picture.
User interface will be ok if you dont have any different background around the edges of picture.

Ok black bars each side are from old recorded shows and will change automatically when a newer show comes on.
I dont use scale as it changes quality of picture.
User interface will be ok if you dont have any different background around the edges of picture.

Slightly confused about what you mean mate.

So having 4:3 and 16;9 setting set as just scale will cause quality issues? Didn't know that was the case as again I was told before to have as just scale as it stretches to fit whole screen instead of in a small box with black bars.

What would black bars at top and bottom mean?

Is user interface a setting I need to change as can't see it?

Rambo in hd note the black bars top and bottom which is normal.black bars.jpg

User interface as i went back into mine a little tweak is needed as i have white space above my grey box which is the tv,ha ha picture must be rolling by itself from top to bottom and side by side so wont need any adjustments.user interface.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So having on just scale isn't.normal because it stretches the picture?

I gone on user interface but no idea what to do. Seems very confusing.

is there any reason why you can't just post a picture of your SD TV picture instead of everyone guessing?
take a photo and upload it or use openwebif and capture screen and let us see what you are seeing

is there any reason why you can't just post a picture of your SD TV picture instead of everyone guessing?
take a photo and upload it or use openwebif and capture screen and let us see what you are seeing

Mate I am not trying to be awkward or anything.

Just telling you there difference with SD quality on TV and openwebif.

If you require a screenshot will take it from openwebif and post it.

This sounds more and more like a TV settings issue, or an issue with you box video settings.

I copied exact same settings as cactikid including change to pillarbox and letterbox and no difference in quality at all. SD is still poor quality despite changing to same settings as his.

Will try to get screenshot and post of an SD channel.

Have checked TV settings but has no settings for SD on TV.

What settings on tv is listed,Does the box have red/white/yellow phono ports and does your tv also have them as its another source to try,what make and model tv so we can google issues.

Back