Using USB for recording

Hi guys,

Just bought a new USB stick for my ZGemma box, how do I format it and install is so it can be used for recording?

Cheers

When I try to do that it says error timeout elapsed sorry

How do I sort that?

unplug the usb stick for few seconds and then plug it back in, a message should pop up on the screen. Now initialise it as mentioned above. Once initialised check it's mounted correctly, press the Menu button and then select Info Panel -> plugins -> MountManager. Your usb stick should be listed and showing 'Mount: /media/hdd' if it doesn't press the green button to 'setup mounts' and then use the arrow keys on remote until /media/hdd is selected and then press the green button to save. The box will then reboot and you should be ready to go.

i would not plug in or remove usb or cables while boxes are powered on,unless you want to blow something?

i would not plug in or remove usb or cables while boxes are powered on,unless you want to blow something?
If you turn the box on with an uninitialised usb stick plugged in, it may give an error as mentioned above so you have a choice, unplug USB stick and plug back in or turn box off again, unplug usb stick turn box back on and plug usb stick in while box is turned on. I've set up over 800 boxes and never had an issue with doing it either way.

It's no different to plugging in a usb stick into your computer, you don't turn the computer off to plug the usb stick in.

sat and cable boxes are not the same as pc with regards to using usb sticks as many have found out with blown ports.
buy good quality usb sticks and i use pc to format to fat32 and let box setup your stick from there.

Back