warning : email from sky about sale of skyboxes

satmanUK

TK Veteran
just got a email from so called sky about the skybox`s i sell on ebay that are sold as FTA and i dont put there about gifts ect

i have 6 page email about copyright names and want me to get a local company to break up the boxes and for them to sign a paper saying have been recycled

Surely they haven't got a leg to stand on if your selling the boxes as FTA?
Unless you've been sending private messages about gifts? Maybe they pretending to be a customer wanting a gift?

nope only sold as fta with a fta disclaimer at bottom.

Urgent: Infringement of Intellectual Property Rights [xxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]‏

i cant copy the letter on email, as they sent as a pdf and cant seem to copy it, tried to word and the same

says they own the name skybox etc

Last edited:
with the mass of boxes flooding the market and that bbc documentary nailing your man on tv,it was only a matter of time before something happens,all the ebay/amazon and other sites may have been contacted.
if they get hold of a box sold from supplier xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and it contains a gift for 28.2 they will know box is not fta.
boxes can be sold as fta and used on other non sky sats,but what the buyer does with box after you sell it is his business:yes!:

they own this name and others.

Code:
http://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/sky-plus-box/?DCMP=KNC-ROISearch

dont see skybox there.

Last edited:
They say called sky marks as in I think anything after sky is a copyright lol I'm not to worried but replied to the email

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it is a dodgy game selling the skybox. as the camms are preinstalled that is what makes the boxes illegall. to get around this sell the new a3 as the customer will have install them. and that is why they cannot do anything about the vu range as evreything has to be added by the customer.

another ebay seller trying to put you out of the game?

I would just delete it, if ebay didn't want you selling them. they would remove the listing

Surely they haven't got a leg to stand on if your selling the boxes as FTA?
Unless you've been sending private messages about gifts? Maybe they pretending to be a customer wanting a gift?

The problem is; if they decide to push it, they'll simply out spend you
It doesn't really matter whether you're right, because most people won't be able to afford to defend themselves or aren't prepared to risk the sums involved should you lose in court.

There are some threads running on the sky tv forums where unhappy members are naming and shaming/reporting the links to these boxes for sale to the mods.

another ebay seller trying to put you out of the game?

I would just delete it, if ebay didn't want you selling them. they would remove the listing

they did remove the listing, saying after i email them that the word (skybox ) is copyrighted lol

---------- Post Merged at 08:08 AM ----------

There are some threads running on the sky tv forums where unhappy members are naming and shaming/reporting the links to these boxes for sale to the mods.

yeh i have seen on there people saying why should i give you 1k a year when i get a box of ebay for £150

they did remove the listing, saying after i email them that the word (skybox ) is copyrighted lol

...and yet if you search for "skybox" in the satellite receivers section on Ebay, it still turns up around 500 results!

There's even someone on there selling channels lists & using the official Sky logo as their main photo!

Last edited:
if i was going to sell them again i would go to computer fairs and advertise on gumtree you will sell loads doing it that way. many years ago i had a vist from trading standards i was selling r4 mods and cable boxes. they found the stuff i was selling and i did not get prosecuted because i did not flash any of the software required onto the micro sd for the r4 to wotk neither did i flash the cable boxes however, they did take the lot. it is also true that people on the sly forum are gathering a list of sky box sellers and reporting it to them. the thing is e-bay an amazon are taking down the listings however, some people are then just opening a new ebay and pay pal acccount. the bloke i was selling to was renting out the boxes with the line for £30 a month

some of it

also 5 people on skype said got same letter

guys in china just said will change the name on the box lol

IMG_0239[1].jpg

---------- Post Merged at 10:20 AM ----------

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Sky Text,sans-serif]You can visit the UK’s Intellectual Property Office website where you can search for the trade mark registrations. This will show that BSkyB Group plc and its group companies do in fact own these trade marks (see [/FONT][FONT=Sky Text,sans-serif]http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK0002364442B[/FONT][FONT=Sky Text,sans-serif]). You might also want to visit the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market’s website to run the same search for the European Community Trade Mark for SKY BOX (for example, see [/FONT][FONT=Sky Text,sans-serif]http://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/008178469[/FONT][FONT=Sky Text,sans-serif]).[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Sky Text,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Sky Text,sans-serif]The use of a registered trade mark in the course of trade constitutes trade mark infringement, under both UK and EU law. The fact that the SKYBOX logo does not have the same colouring as Sky’s well-known logo does not change the fact that the purchasing, advertising for sale, selling or otherwise trading in these set-top boxes, constitutes trade mark infringement. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Sky Text,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Sky Text,sans-serif]Amongst Sky’s many trade mark registrations are logos [/FONT][FONT=Sky Text,sans-serif]and[/FONT][FONT=Sky Text,sans-serif] word marks[/FONT][FONT=Sky Text,sans-serif]. The SKYBOX set-top boxes infringe Sky’s [/FONT][FONT=Sky Text,sans-serif]registered word marks[/FONT][FONT=Sky Text,sans-serif] for SKY and SKY BOX. [/FONT][/FONT]

they are also saying that you are supplying a sat box that is capable of reciveing sly channels without paying them which is illegal. selling them as fta will not work.as it is a bit like selling xbox360 games and calling them backups. i think there will soon be a problem getting them through customs as sly will flex there mussles.or try selling the cloud box i dont think there is a lot they can do about them as they are a open source linux based sat box. going back to my point earlier it is the fact they have installed all the camms etc on there firmware which dose not help matters this is what makes it count as a circumventional device.

Last edited:
Sly will definitely not sit around letting 'Skybox's' be sold, even if it us under FTA means.

Sly are well aware of the potential of these boxes and 'what they can do' so they will most certainly push passed anybody trying to sell them, even if it is pre-programmed with FTA firmware with no CCam, it isn't the worlds difficult task getting CCCam set up anyway.

Sly are probably also trawling these forums to see how things are progressing and provides them with a way to do a bit of recon.

I agree with dan-ger-ous, if sky want to know anything about whats going on with these boxes they will look through all forums first. I think these boxes had a name change because of sky which will make it be easier to get through customs. My advice satman do what Mike did and just remove the boxes from eBay even though they are being listed as FTA. Lets be serious sky have millions and can basically buy their way in any trial. Its not worth it, you could even just sell them throughout your area. I know its not as much as eBay can make you but at least you dont have sky breathing down your neck.

Yep my china guy on skype said no problem we will make with new name lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol if that is done i dont think sky can do anything to you if you are not modding them with firmware before selling or else every satellite freeview box should be illegal. I know they will say that the boxes are capable of receiving these channels if modded but then again so is the xbox if you mod it. Does that mean that the xbox should have all its sales halted because it can be altered. I dont think that they can blame you as its the user. You sell as FTA, xbox sell as a gaming system with the intention to sell games for it, you cannot blame microsoft for somebody modding their xbox to play games they dont buy from shop you can only blame the person who does the modding

Back