warning : email from sky about sale of skyboxes

I guess all this points to them not having an easy tech fix, or they would have simply done that and killed all the boxes.

Hi

Same letter came to us. We've been selling f5s clearly marking them as FTA for a little while. About 100 total sold do not as many as the 1000+ ebayers.

Went to see a lawyer for advise and got them to write a letter agreeing that we will stop selling them and destroy our current stocks. Also explaining very clearly they arw FTA only. A modification is required to hack encrypted channels.

Waiting to hear back from them.

Signing their agreement seems like quite a risk as you'll be agreeing to pay all your profits and unspecified damaged and costs to sly.

Satman, when you day you got away with it, what do you mean, have they just agreed?

Cheers chon

the trouble is there is no modifacation required on skyboxes it is all done for you the camms are alresdy there. i would just stop selling them on ebay on hope sly do not try to take it further. as you can gaurntee they will get your adress of pay pal and ebay. and if they prosecute you will have to pay the courts all the money you have made e.g 100skyboxes @ £50. i know i got prosecuted for selling wii games back in the day and had to pay back £15,000 + 6 months suspended sentance. like satman said in a earlier post the people on the sky forum are looking for sellers on e-bay and reporting them to sky. just sell them locally and keep your head down. the trouble is skyboxes clearly break uk broadcasting laws. where as the linux based boxes do not.

Last edited:
I think the issue is that sly own the skybox trademark in the UK. This is the responsibility of the skybox manufacturer and not the distributor.

To access c lines you need a pin number for the box? I would argue that this counts as a modification to the box and would make the warranty in valid.

Yes there is a pin but skys point of view will be that they shouldnt have a camds menu built into the box in the first place, whether you need a pin or not.

yes it is the cams that are causing the issue. even if they decided to leave them off the fact that you would download the firmware from their site would still make them illegal. the only way that the vu range get away with it is because it is completly open source.

yes it is the cams that are causing the issue. even if they decided to leave them off the fact that you would download the firmware from their site would still make them illegal. the only way that the vu range get away with it is because it is completly open source.

Any Linux box ;)

Xtrend ect clark tech
Some techno mates dreambox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

still seems to be alot of sellers on ebay etc that havnt been removed

if it goes on what the box is capable of will it make much difference in changing the name, libertview or memobox is another ive heard

so will they now stop these from coming through customs ?

i think it will be harder to get them through customs. although when i sold r4 cards they came through ok. the best way around it is to sell the cloud box full open source sat box. dreamboxes or technomates are not open source could be on dodgy ground with those aswell. although it is the skybox that gets the most complaits. probably because by far it out sells any other box.

Last edited:
I thought ud quit them anyway ;-)

Boys in town are using "memobox f5s"
But ive been called to fix a few and the software doesnt seem to 'sit on them well'. I was thinking cheap clones. Look exactly same as skybox f5s tho

Last edited:
cam as mg or cccam ability to decrypt built in would raise a red flag, vix images dont have cams so classed as freesat receivers.

You have a couple of choices

Do what they want you to do - should stop them pursuing you
Ignore them, take all your eBay sales down - may work, who knows?
Fight them - you'll need deep pockets

As for it not being fair
I'm sure you knew what you were doing when you decided to sell the boxes

[/QUOTE]

Reply that you do not hold any stock of skybox. That the advert was a mistake and the stock (1box) that you hold is Openbox not skybox. Then wait for reply?

Last edited:
Back