Cable ZGemma H.2H Initial Set Up - Virgin

Hi,

I'm a newcomer to the forum so hi everyone. I have recently purchased a Zgemma H.2H box with the intention of running it from my existing Virgin Media subscription. I am a beginner when it comes to this kind of set up. I have a fire stick and have installed Kodi etc on it and do have a decent basic knowledge of setting up software on devices. Never done anything like this before though so if anyone could answer a couple of questions that would be appreciated.

1. Do I have to keep my subscription with Virgin active and if I change it to a basic subscription, will that affect anything?

2. When I receive the box, I realise I need to unlock it via a LAN cable. After this, how does it run? Do I need to split my Virgin cable off to run the cable to both the Vigin box and the Zgemma? i presume the box doesn't operate from the internet and works from the Virgin cables?

3. Is it stable? How tricky is the set up?

Any help appreciated and sorry if I'm duplicating a well asked question.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

1. You need an active feed coming into your property, the best way is to use there broadband and terminate any contract TV packages.
2. The lan cable is yours means to connect to the Internet.
3. For a newbi the box can be tricky to set up from scratch, you might be better off using a premade backup image off the downloads section.
4. Stability is down to getting your setup correctly installed and the server you connect to. If your set up and server is crap so will your tv viewing experience.
5. Everything you need or any questions you want to ask have been answered in this forum a 1000 times, best bet for you is spent a week reading and taking down notes. There lots of conflicting information on this site because there's various ways of getting the same result.
Enjoy ;-)

1. You need an active feed coming into your property, the best way is to use there broadband and terminate any contract TV packages.
2. The lan cable is yours means to connect to the Internet.
3. For a newbi the box can be tricky to set up from scratch, you might be better off using a premade backup image off the downloads section.
4. Stability is down to getting your setup correctly installed and the server you connect to. If your set up and server is crap so will your tv viewing experience.
5. Everything you need or any questions you want to ask have been answered in this forum a 1000 times, best bet for you is spent a week reading and taking down notes. There lots of conflicting information on this site because there's various ways of getting the same result.
Enjoy ;-)

Thanks dangerous. I'm reading quite a bit on this site and as you say, some of it is conflicting. I'll try a premade image as you suggest to see how I get on.

So. I've tried to set up the box and it's gone okay - ish. One major worry for me is the fact that my box never said FLSH once during any changes or initial set up. When I have 'changed image' it also didn't say FLSH. Here's what I have done so far.

After following this guide (http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-star-h-2h/88061-h2h-vm-full-setup-guide.html), I couldn't get all channels to show. After a bit of messing about and changing the image to BIOHEAD's image, all the channels showed. I can access BBC one and ITV but any pay channels or HD channels are locked out. They are showing but when I select them, they won't load.

Any suggestions to get the channels unlocked please?

Any ideas why my box doesn't say FLSH when I start it up and try to 'load an image'? Just says 'boot' and then runs through a set of numbers..

---------- Post Merged at 01:32 PM ----------

Also, all the pay channels are locked out. Can only see BBC1, BBC2, ITV etc. No HD or pay channels are appearing even though they show on the channels list. They just have a padlock on them as if not accessible. Any ideas on this?

---------- Post Merged at 01:45 PM ----------

I've also noticed that my model says it is a H.2S, even though I bought a H.2H and it says H.2H on the front of the box? Is this normal?

If you have an H2S then I'd send it back.
Flashing problems are using caused by fake USB sticks bought from fleabay.
Try a decent branded one from a good source ie; arg0s or tesc0.
Come back here if you any more help

Last edited:
It says H.2H on the front of the box itself. Then when I look in the 'about' section of settings, it says it's a H.2S.

Also, the USB sticks I'm using are SanDisk and Kingston bought from pukka shops. Doesn't say FLSH using either of them.

Have you already got someone else back up image on there that your trying to change? That would explain the h2s in about.
When your flashing have you got the other USB port free, ie, nothing plugged in?
Who's back up image are you trying to flash?

Last edited:
Also, after checking the configuration at the back of the box, it does appear to be configured as a H.2H would be, with the RF input for cable. Is this the only difference in the H.2H and the H.2S? Is the software the same?

---------- Post Merged at 02:23 PM ----------

Have you already got someone else back up image on there that your trying to change? That would explain the h2s in about.
When your flashing have you got the other USB port free, ie, nothing plugged in?
Who's back up image are you trying to flash?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I've just done a factory reset so back to scratch. I feel I made too many changes. After doing this it is still saying H.2S. There is only one USB port on the box. It does have an SD slot on the side.

I'm sure the software is the same for both boxes, however I personally would use the correct download for the receiver to be sure there is no difference.
Where are you looking for your image?

There's another USB port behind the front flap.
I need to know where your getting your image from?
Did you unzip it then put the zgemma file onto the USB

I searched for H.2H full set up and came across several. To be honest I'm not sure which one would be the best. I'm going to try Biohead's OpenATV 5.3 image for cable only. See how that goes. Unless you could recommend something? Never got the box to flash yet though. It's recognising the USB stick and I can configure all the rest but it just won't flash. Is there some manual way of flashing?

---------- Post Merged at 02:31 PM ----------

Yes, I unzipped it and put it onto the USB. It was in a Zgemma folder when I put it onto the USB.

Your losing me here, if it sees the USB ie, says USB on the front during the initial flash then press the standby button on the front the it will say flash

Found the other USB.

---------- Post Merged at 02:35 PM ----------

Sorry, it doesn't say FLSH or USB at any point. What I meant is, the USB is being seen when I set the other bits up for recording and playback storage.

Try g00gle, HDD guru, download it, low level format your USB stick, then format it again in windows (full format, untick the quick format box) then load zgemma file onto the USB stick and try again.

Last edited:
Yes you need all the files from the backup

---------- Post Merged at 03:08 PM ----------

Plus your making a bad mistake factory reset this causes more issues on both vix and openatv just a reflash would do

Right. I have reformatted the USB (LLF and reformat standard, not quick version). Placed the files on there. Switched off the box, placed the USB in and turned box on. Still no FLSH message. Just says 'boot' followed by -01- up to a number of -78- (various other numbers along the way). Is this box supposed to say FLSH or is the -54- etc the flash happening?

No it's supposed to say flash try hp format tool no need to Windows format switch box off using the back power button insert usb in back and switch on using back button then box should change from usb to flash.

Are you wanting to use both sat and cable my backup is set to be used by imagebackups aswell as usb flash so thers no need for usb flash

Won't say FLSH not matter what I do. The USB sticks were fine before this, never a problem. I just want to use it on cable. Are you saying there is a way around doing FLSH?

Back