Zgemma H9 Combo Flashing Issue

Strocky

Currently trying to ressurect my old motorised system for the Euros and having issues updating my old OpenATV 6.3 to the more current 7.3 Version below
http://images.mynonpublic.com/opena.../openatv-7.3-zgemmah9combo-20240603_multi.zip

I've tried booting it from a USB as per these instructions here but I can't get the boot manager to work (nothing happens when I power cycle and hold the back reset button)
Zgemma H9twin se box stuck

When I try to install it via the software manager I get this error
WbETsgg.jpeg

Any ideas?

Currently trying to ressurect my old motorised system for the Euros and having issues updating my old OpenATV 6.3 to the more current 7.3 Version below
http://images.mynonpublic.com/opena.../openatv-7.3-zgemmah9combo-20240603_multi.zip

I've tried booting it from a USB as per these instructions here but I can't get the boot manager to work (nothing happens when I power cycle and hold the back reset button)
Zgemma H9twin se box stuck

When I try to install it via the software manager I get this error
WbETsgg.jpeg

Any ideas?
So flashonline give you an error its possible it does not have enough space to download and extract the image. You could try mount a storage device.

Save yourself the headache though and flash directly from usb.

So flashonline give you an error its possible it does not have enough space to download and extract the image. You could try mount a storage device.

Save yourself the headache though and flash directly from usb.
Will try mounting to a USB stick however the headache is that Flash from USB I can't get working at all (despite putting the FW posted into a USB stick into the front flap and powering up then holding the reset button on the back next to the HDMI port)

Will try again tonight when I get home (and try some more USB sticks)

Thanks for all the help but still getting nowhere with this box (I've mounted a USB as a HDD on the rear USB) and flashing from the front panel (incidentally if I don't have a front USB plugged in I don' get the Initiialise HDD option)

Doesn't help that there's conflicting info out there and diff flashing techniques for diff Zgemma boxes (RC power button/Back reset button + back USB / front USB)

Going to ask a really dumb question, the ZIP file you d/l from OpenATV you leave it zipped or do you extract it to the USB to flash?
From the various guides I've read it states to keep it zipped

Can you put the latest image on a usb stick and then launch openatv then press blue button and select software, tab across and select flashonline but then press the green button to expand. This will hopefully show the image on the usb stick. Flash from there.

Thanks for all the help but still getting nowhere with this box (I've mounted a USB as a HDD on the rear USB) and flashing from the front panel (incidentally if I don't have a front USB plugged in I don' get the Initiialise HDD option)

Doesn't help that there's conflicting info out there and diff flashing techniques for diff Zgemma boxes (RC power button/Back reset button + back USB / front USB)

Going to ask a really dumb question, the ZIP file you d/l from OpenATV you leave it zipped or do you extract it to the USB to flash?
From the various guides I've read it states to keep it zipped
Unzip the ZgemmaH9 zip file to your pc.
Put the entire unzipped H9 folder onto a formatted usb.
Put usb in the box.

Flash as described above

Can you put the latest image on a usb stick and then launch openatv then press blue button and select software, tab across and select flashonline but then press the green button to expand. This will hopefully show the image on the usb stick. Flash from there.
The expand button only showed the prev downloaded ATV 7.3 that failed to install (and didnt show the USB Zip file image)
I'd been using the remote control to go into setup then software not via the blue button (which brought up a different front end)

I downloaded the 7.3 and it installed and re-booted however it now boots up to 50, then 55, the screen flashes pink quickly then jumps to 95 and loops)

The first Zgemma box I had lasted two months before stopping working and now this, I'm jinxed with the brand LOL

Will try mounting to a USB stick however the headache is that Flash from USB I can't get working at all (despite putting the FW posted into a USB stick into the front flap and powering up then holding the reset button on the back next to the HDMI port)

Will try again tonight when I get home (and try some more USB sticks)
format usb as fat 32 and try and use if possible smallest usb flash drive. you could also try openatv-7.3-zgemmah9combo-20240611_recovery_emmc.zip or also read the force_h9combo_READ.ME in the openatv-7.3-zgemmah9combo-20240611_multi.zip unpacked h9combo folder.

Flashing the Receiver.
1) Power off the receiver
2) Ensure no other USB devices are plugged into the receiver
3) Insert the USB stick containing the image files into one of the REAR USB ports on the receiver
4) Power the receiver on whilst holding down the REAR RESET BUTTON
5) Once the front Air Digital display logo start is now being flashed.
6) If successful the receiver will reboot it self after the flashing process has completed.
7) Remove USB stick that contains the images files.
The flashing process should take approximately two to four minutes to complete, while the receiver is being flashed,
it is important that you DO NOT power the receiver down for any reason as this can cause serious and or permanent
damage

Last edited:
format usb as fat 32 and try and use if possible smallest usb flash drive. you could also try openatv-7.3-zgemmah9combo-20240611_recovery_emmc.zip or also read the force_h9combo_READ.ME in the openatv-7.3-zgemmah9combo-20240611_multi.zip unpacked h9combo folder.

Flashing the Receiver.
1) Power off the receiver
2) Ensure no other USB devices are plugged into the receiver
3) Insert the USB stick containing the image files into one of the REAR USB ports on the receiver
4) Power the receiver on whilst holding down the REAR RESET BUTTON
5) Once the front Air Digital display logo start is now being flashed.
6) If successful the receiver will reboot it self after the flashing process has completed.
7) Remove USB stick that contains the images files.
The flashing process should take approximately two to four minutes to complete, while the receiver is being flashed,
it is important that you DO NOT power the receiver down for any reason as this can cause serious and or permanent
damage
Thanks for that will try it tomorrow
Much appreciated

My USB is a 1gb Kingston

Right one last throw of the dice before I chuck this POS in the bin
I lost my old 12V 3a PSU and the replacement PSU is on 2.5a, could this be causing the flashing issue?

Try this method,I've just done it on my h9 combo and it took less than 10 minutes.

Turn your box off.Leave hdd in back of box.,nothing in front.
DO NOT USE BLACK RESET BUTTON.
Press the red power button on the remote down and aim at front of box.
Press and Release the white button on back of box while still holding down remote control red power button.
When you see rcvy on front of box release red power button on remote.
Let recovery menu load.
When loaded scroll down to boot menu.
Press ok
Scroll down to flash online image,press ok
Choose image you want to flash,i.e. Openatv 7.3 E2
Press ok
It will start downloading
Then comes up with which multiboot slot should be used.
Press ok on Linux 1.or whatever slot you want.
It will start flashing
Flashing complete comes up on screen and then goes to boot menu.
Scroll down to boot1 openatve7.3 or whatever boot number you chose earlier.
Press ok
Box will start to boot up(can take up to a minute or 2)
Red light and says boot in LCD panel...just wait
Green light will come on and boot up to 49
Then go through set up options,
Might be worth initializing hdd during set up.

Attachments

• IMG_20240612_155449.jpg
    IMG_20240612_155449.jpg
    725.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20240612_155458.jpg
    IMG_20240612_155458.jpg
    726.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240612_155522.jpg
    IMG_20240612_155522.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240612_155537.jpg
    IMG_20240612_155537.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240612_155722.jpg
    IMG_20240612_155722.jpg
    731.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240612_155737.jpg
    IMG_20240612_155737.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240612_155852.jpg
    IMG_20240612_155852.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Cheers @bigwig21 will give it one last hurrah prob tomorrow now (cable managing my Atmos 7.2.4 system the now it's a PITA)

I don't have a HDD in the back (just a mounted 2GB USB), I assume that won't be an issue?

Back