Zgemma H9 Combo Flashing Issue

Thanks but still can't get to the flash or boot manager option
Image file and USB dir structure below

tXxMUky.png
Am I reading his correctly going by image posted you should not have folder, example openatv-7.3-zgemmah9combo-20240611_multi

but it should only be folder h9combo and unforce_h9combo.txt file

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    8.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Am I reading his correctly going by image posted you should not have folder, example openatv-7.3-zgemmah9combo-20240611_multi

but it should only be folder h9combo and unforce_h9combo.txt file
Yip I noticed that after posting and changed the root directory on the USB to suit (the screenshot was from the PC I'm bad but not that bad to put it on the USB stick :LOL:)

I didn't have a chance last night to try (and to compound the whole clusterF) I've lost the MOUNT USB stick I had used for the rear USB on the box, will need to try and find it can't have went far TBF

Just as an aside I really appreciate all the posts, helps and PM on this, much appreciated

Last edited:
Yip I noticed that after posting and changed the root directory on the USB to suit (the screenshot was from the PC I'm bad but not that bad to put it on the USB stick :LOL:)

I didn't have a chance last night to try (and to compound the whole clusterF) I've lost the MOUNT USB stick I had used for the rear USB on the box, will need to try and find it can't have went far TBF

Just as an aside I really appreciate all the posts, helps and PM on this, much appreciated
So any outcome did you get there in the end :smiley:

So any outcome did you get there in the end :smiley:
Unfortunately too busy hooking up my Atmos system and doing all the cable management that entails, will prob be Sunday now given the Euro's has just started and I'll be drowning my sorrows given Scotland are getting skelped 3-0 as we speak :smiley:

I did find the "missing" USB mount stick

Try this method,I've just done it on my h9 combo and it took less than 10 minutes.

Turn your box off.Leave hdd in back of box.,nothing in front.
DO NOT USE BLACK RESET BUTTON.
Press the red power button on the remote down and aim at front of box.
Press and Release the white button on back of box while still holding down remote control red power button.
When you see rcvy on front of box release red power button on remote.
Let recovery menu load.
When loaded scroll down to boot menu.
Press ok
Scroll down to flash online image,press ok
Choose image you want to flash,i.e. Openatv 7.3 E2
Press ok
It will start downloading
Then comes up with which multiboot slot should be used.
Press ok on Linux 1.or whatever slot you want.
It will start flashing
Flashing complete comes up on screen and then goes to boot menu.
Scroll down to boot1 openatve7.3 or whatever boot number you chose earlier.
Press ok
Box will start to boot up(can take up to a minute or 2)
Red light and says boot in LCD panel...just wait
Green light will come on and boot up to 49
Then go through set up options,
Might be worth initializing hdd during set up.
Finally got a chance to try this, still can't access RCY menu, the box states BOOT and the power LED goes from green to red (then the OPENATV banner comes up) the LED goes to GREEN and then it tries to boot up (I get the OpenATV loading screen then it loops like previous)

TBH I'm going to try and use an old Dreambox as my main goal is to get my motorised dish working before I go down the VIARK 4K route / Forever Server

I've wasted too much time on my second Zgemma box (the first one just stopped working within months) they're just far too janky for flashing IMHO

But again I appreciate all the help

Finally got a chance to try this, still can't access RCY menu, the box states BOOT and the power LED goes from green to red (then the OPENATV banner comes up) the LED goes to GREEN and then it tries to boot up (I get the OpenATV loading screen then it loops like previous)
This has nothing to fo with the box, it's a duff usb.
Get a 8-16gb sandisk one from Asda or Tesco and it will flash first time

TBH I'm going to try and use an old Dreambox as my main goal is to get my motorised dish working before I go down the VIARK 4K route / Forever Server

I've wasted too much time on my second Zgemma box (the first one just stopped working within months) they're just far too janky for flashing IMHO

But again I appreciate all the help
Are you aiming the remote control at the infrared sensor on the front of box,hold and aim at least a foot away.
I've just accessed the boot menus on a h9 twin and h9 combo and able to flash from there.
read the instructions carefully and try again.

Are you aiming the remote control at the infrared sensor on the front of box,hold and aim at least a foot away.
I've just accessed the boot menus on a h9 twin and h9 combo and able to flash from there.
read the instructions carefully and try again.
Yep a foot away and it just keeps going into boot mode

The RCY guide from bigwig is an online flash and doesn't need a USB stick though :unsure:
Yes it does.
The box downloads the image.
It needs somewhere to download it to, the box itself doesn't have enough storage space so it utilises the usb space, providing its a working usb and it's been initialised using the remote/menus

Yes it does.
The box downloads the image.
It needs somewhere to download it to, the box itself doesn't have enough storage space so it utilises the usb space, providing its a working usb and it's been initialised using the remote/menus
I can't even get to the RCY menu to even get to the download part so it's a moot point

Even if I could access the RCY menu I'm gubbed unless unless there's a 3rd party PC software to format and initialise a Sandisk USB as Zgemma ready because the USB I have (a 2 GB generic) isn't being picked up by the box

I can't even get to the RCY menu to even get to the download part so it's a moot point

Even if I could access the RCY menu I'm gubbed unless unless there's a 3rd party PC software to format and initialise a Sandisk USB as Zgemma ready because the USB I have (a 2 GB generic) isn't being picked up by the box
If you remove all the usb/hdd from the box and reboot it, does it start up on the last image you had?
If not, you'll need to buy a new usb and format it on pc, FAT32.
Download the image onto PC, unzip it and put the unzipped image onto new usb and into the box and flash it that way

Back