constant freezing

I got a theory on this problem.
I'm also with plusnet and for almost two weeks I was suffering from glitching/freezing caused by sudden and very random high ecm spikes (I use oscam so it was easy to watch the log and see the spikes, when normal ecm's were around 0.12 - 0.18 but when it spiked it went to over 2 seconds for 1 ecm then went back to normal)
I had a good idea it wasn't the 2 lines I have as it was happening to both of them and they are from different suppliers but wasn't sure what it was until the other day
I had noticed my router seemed to be stuck on a IP address beginning 51.
Now I do not have a static IP but disconnecting and reconnecting kept giving me the same IP (in the past doing a quick disconnect/reconnect would cycle IP addresses)
I contacted plusnet and asked if I had somehow been switched to a static IP and they told me I hadn't. They also told me to factory reset my router which I did. My IP address changed but still started with 51. And the spikes continued
I left it a day then disconnected/reconnected again and finally my IP address changed to one starting with 32.
Ever since then I have not had one high ecm spike and have had maybe 2 normal freezes in the past 48 hours
Take from this what you will but my guess is part of plusnets network is having issues and either they know and can't be bothered to fix it or hardly anyone using that part of their network is using something that requires precise timings as these boxes do
I really should of done some trace routes to see if different IP ranges for plusnet connect to different parts of their servers, bit late to think of that now but if I end up with the same problem again I will contact them with specific details (what they do with that info will be anyone's guess lol)

Last edited:
It was a false dawn, i put my new router in, ok for a short while then freezing again, today i bypassed my cables from the sky dish with new cable, not the answer i'm afraid, still froze, i also moved my router away from any tv or speakers, just the same, it has to be plusnet, i still have time to run on my contract but i signed up to BT again, if that doesn't stop it it's all in the bin, as the enemy sang, had enough had enough. i looked back on a recording i did in june when i was in the isle of man, not a twitch then.

Hi Scouse645,
I had the same problem months ago with freezing. The problem for me was home plugs connected/plugged into extension leads.
Try connecting all directly to your wall sockets (not through extension leads incl. router) and see if that works.

I got a theory on this problem.
I'm also with plusnet and for almost two weeks I was suffering from glitching/freezing caused by sudden and very random high ecm spikes (I use oscam so it was easy to watch the log and see the spikes, when normal ecm's were around 0.12 - 0.18 but when it spiked it went to over 2 seconds for 1 ecm then went back to normal)
I had a good idea it wasn't the 2 lines I have as it was happening to both of them and they are from different suppliers but wasn't sure what it was until the other day
I had noticed my router seemed to be stuck on a IP address beginning 51.
Now I do not have a static IP but disconnecting and reconnecting kept giving me the same IP (in the past doing a quick disconnect/reconnect would cycle IP addresses)
I contacted plusnet and asked if I had somehow been switched to a static IP and they told me I hadn't. They also told me to factory reset my router which I did. My IP address changed but still started with 51. And the spikes continued
I left it a day then disconnected/reconnected again and finally my IP address changed to one starting with 32.
Ever since then I have not had one high ecm spike and have had maybe 2 normal freezes in the past 48 hours
Take from this what you will but my guess is part of plusnets network is having issues and either they know and can't be bothered to fix it or hardly anyone using that part of their network is using something that requires precise timings as these boxes do
I really should of done some trace routes to see if different IP ranges for plusnet connect to different parts of their servers, bit late to think of that now but if I end up with the same problem again I will contact them with specific details (what they do with that info will be anyone's guess lol)

Hi, i have got rid of plusnet, even though it will cost me, gone back to BT and surprise surprise no freezes, as djgarf says something must be going on with plusnet, thanks all for your help, had to eliminate everything else before changing isp, drove me mad for a while, cheers.

Back