Kodi and VPN- Advice wanted

You need something with dual processors to get good speed, netgear nighthawk 1900 or Asus ac68!

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

I like the idea of the VPN router mentioned above. Liberty Shield seems easy enough to install (you simply connect it to a free LAN port on your existing router I think). The set-up guide only mentions connecting via wifi which is little use with the likes of a Zgemma box. Perhaps the Mikrotik router has LAN ports too but it doesn't say so.

Wouldn't it be better to simply get rid of the existing router entirely and rely on the new router for everything? Is that more like Tomato or DD-WRT?

Just in case it makes any difference, I live in Ireland. (My handle will have given that much away.) I would not want distance to adversely affect streaming or using my ZGemma...

Hopefully somebody will give me an answer and others can follow. VPN's are going to become the norm fairly quickly I believe.

In the end I decided to go with a second router. I bought a netgear nighthawk r7000 for £100ish at currys and got a decent offer from ipvanish. Was easy enough to set up using a really good video on YouTube. The VPN has been brilliant to be fair with really good speeds all I could ask for. Happy bunny just wish I done it ages ago ha ha

Has anyone used Nordvpn? Looks good and seems a decent price and does not keep logs. I thought about Ipvanish but heard it can be pretty slow?
I use Nord vpn and it's easy to install on firestick or android box and havnt had any buffering issues since I started using it a few months ago.

Hi all, just a quick question on the vpn. If I install this in my android tv box, do I still need to set it up within Kodi?

Would've thought all traffic from the box would be encrypted by the VPN app so should be fine with just the app on the box.

There's all sorts you can buy that'll do it. Easiest way is find one that's dd-wrt or tomato compatible, flash it with one or the other, then your provider will (if they're good anyway) have a guide on how to add your VPN to your router.

I think you can only have one of the servers at once (you can obviously switch them in your router settings down the line) but I could be wrong.
What do you mean by a router being dd-wrt compatible?

I use protonvpn. It's a tad more expensive but it's speed and security make it worthwhile.

It was developed by a team of Cern scientists. You can route through countries like Switzerland that have top notch privacy laws.

It also has dedicated tor integration for those that use the dark web

Back