Major internet issues since connecting box!?

Thats the worse thing, I can watch tv but then all of a sudden it just drops and takes AGES to come back.

I really do believe its because of the kit and the setup the internet has got worse.

Oh man so even before the splitter I had a low signal, so there is no hope then even with the splitter to get a strong signal so connection doesnt drop alot.

But is the forum support same as the phone support? I havent noticed one better than the other.

If I am being honest mate, Im thinking of selling the box, I REALLY REALLY DONT WANT TO, but I have no choice with these problems with the internet. I am also surprised others on here arent having similar problems. Like I said previously paying more for a higher quality kit wont solve the problem either.

I read your post in the thread when it was posted and I am in the same boat as you, I am thinking of leaving them but then I wont have an active live for the box. I know you could have one after you leave them, but they could cut your active line any time. I dont know what to do.

by the sounds of it you dont have much of an active line that you are paying for,keep on hounding them until its fixed then you may get to watch tv.

Mate I having been on their back most days every weeks for past 6+ months.

I cant any more than that.

If they cant be bothered to sort the connection out then I am screwed basically no E2 box and not cable as well.

If they won't fix it, change ISP anyway, you will at least have a decent twin tuner sat box at worst.
(with a steady picture)

If your VM feed is still live after that then just take out cable subs on a short term basis,
say 1 month at a time, if you are worried about getting cut off.

You are right bees, I am giving them one last chance to solve the problem.

I get what you mean, but if the active line is cut off like a week after leaving them, its no point having this box, as I am not utilising the 3rd tuner and for me its a waste of money as well.

In terms of short term subs they work out more expensive than the long term subs but like you say it does at least give you the peace of mind you havent lost much if you get cut off.

Thats the worse thing, I can watch tv but then all of a sudden it just drops and takes AGES to come back.

I really do believe its because of the kit and the setup the internet has got worse.

Oh man so even before the splitter I had a low signal, so there is no hope then even with the splitter to get a strong signal so connection doesnt drop alot.

But is the forum support same as the phone support? I havent noticed one better than the other.

If I am being honest mate, Im thinking of selling the box, I REALLY REALLY DONT WANT TO, but I have no choice with these problems with the internet. I am also surprised others on here arent having similar problems. Like I said previously paying more for a higher quality kit wont solve the problem either.

I read your post in the thread when it was posted and I am in the same boat as you, I am thinking of leaving them but then I wont have an active live for the box. I know you could have one after you leave them, but they could cut your active line any time. I dont know what to do.

Yes. as mentioned in the other thread, the splitter does introduce additional attenuation. You asked a few times in the other thread if it would work OK for you, & the advice I gave (as well as others) was the only way to know was to try it & see. If you had said then that your internet connection was intermittent, I would have advised to get that fixed before buying your box.

Whether you use a cable box or not, you need to get your internet connection fixed anyway. As I posted in the thread I linked to, I simply couldn't live with a constant intermittent connection. It was completely unacceptable. Have you actually had any "engineers" visits? If so, what did they tell you?

I don't know if things have changed much in the 5 years since I left VM, but the offshore phone support was notoriously abysmal. They read from the same script whatever the problem (turn pc & router off & on again). The CS agents on VM forums arrange an "engineers" visit on a day & time to suit you.

It's a pity that you don't need a MAC when leaving VM, as this would put you on to retentions. All you can do is keep on at them untill you get a resolution. If nothing is done still, then threaten to leave & see what happens.

Ye it seems with the splitter there is huge signal loss. I know mate, and I should have said the problems I was having before. It just escaped my mind.

Mate I completely understand what you are saying, these intermittent problems have occurred for a LONG time now and when ever it happens I feel like breaking the router because of how often it is. For a huge ISP they should have solved this problem but no they say nothing is wrong and leave it at that.

In terms of engineers I have had about 7 or 8 visit during this problem and they said everything is normal from the signal, power levels etc. So if there is no fault why on earth I am having intermittent problems lol.

Both support on forums and phone arrange engineers as far I am aware.

What ISP are you with now?

When I left VM, I went over to BEthere broadband. Had ecxellent trouble-free service with them. They were bought out by $ly, which price matched my BE subscription for a year (which was currently halved to £7.50 when I asked for my MAC!). After a year, when $ly upped the price to £15.50, I changed over to Plusnet. As I moved my phone over to them as well (from BT), I'm only paying £2.50 for my internet for the first year.

I only get around 5.8Mbps over ADSL, but at least it's reliable. I was getting 20Mbps (on & off) when I was with VM.

When I had problems with VM, I kept my own logs showing the problems. I took screen dumps of the router stats which showed the signal levels going up & down like a yo-yo. I also installed a program that monitored my connection. It showed constant disconnections.

I showed these to the "engineers" that called. Not sure if they all fully understood them. I think the "engineers" are just trained to measure signal levels. If they look OK at the time they visit, then they have done their job, even though you try to explain to them that it's an intermittent problem!

I understand fully your frustration. You are just constantly banging your head against a brick wall, trying to get the problem resolved. It seems like nothing has changed since I left!

I still get letters from VM offering me special offers to go back to them. I wouldn't go back to them even if they offered it to me free. I realy woudn't.

I would still try contacting VM again if I was you, but using the forums this time. Your problem is then open for everyone to see. You can explain everything in your own time, without having to go through it over & over again like you need to every time you phone.

When I left VM, I went over to BEthere broadband. Had ecxellent trouble-free service with them. They were bought out by $ly, which price matched my BE subscription for a year (which was currently halved to £7.50 when I asked for my MAC!). After a year, when $ly upped the price to £15.50, I changed over to Plusnet. As I moved my phone over to them as well (from BT), I'm only paying £2.50 for my internet for the first year.

I only get around 5.8Mbps over ADSL, but at least it's reliable. I was getting 20Mbps (on & off) when I was with VM.

When I had problems with VM, I kept my own logs showing the problems. I took screen dumps of the router stats which showed the signal levels going up & down like a yo-yo. I also installed a program that monitored my connection. It showed constant disconnections.

I showed these to the "engineers" that called. Not sure if they all fully understood them. I think the "engineers" are just trained to measure signal levels. If they look OK at the time they visit, then they have done their job, even though you try to explain to them that it's an intermittent problem!

I understand fully your frustration. You are just constantly banging your head against a brick wall, trying to get the problem resolved. It seems like nothing has changed since I left!

I still get letters from VM offering me special offers to go back to them. I wouldn't go back to them even if they offered it to me free. I realy woudn't.

I would still try contacting VM again if I was you, but using the forums this time. Your problem is then open for everyone to see. You can explain everything in your own time, without having to go through it over & over again like you need to every time you phone.

Ye I think I might have to go and ask on the forum, but will I have to post logs, screenshots and download monitor program? I find that uncomfortable posting all that on open forum.

I have been told by the engineer on the phone previously as last resort to do a repull. What is this and will it solve the intermittent problem?

Ye I think I might have to go and ask on the forum, but will I have to post logs, screenshots and download monitor program? I find that uncomfortable posting all that on open forum.

I have been told by the engineer on the phone previously as last resort to do a repull. What is this and will it solve the intermittent problem?

When I posted my problems on the VM forums, they didn't ask for any logs or screenshots etc. I just did them for my own benefit, as evidence. Even if you do need to post router stats, you can normally copy & paste from the stats page & remove anything you don't want them to see before posting. They will probably only need to see signal levels, SNR, error numbers etc.

A repull is when they replace the cables from the green cabinet to your house. It may solve the problem if you have a damaged cable.

During the engineer visits, did any of them look in the white box on your inside wall, or the box on your outside wall, or in the green street cabinet?

Have you ever looked in the inside or outside wall boxes to check that the connections are tight?

Well during multiple visits from the engineers, they have checked the box on both the inside and outside wall and said everything is fine and normal.

I think they did make some changes at the cabinet.

i myself haven't looked at the connections on either box as I presumed the connections were tight anyway, the engineer never said anything.

I know I might be wrong here, but as I bought a cheap kit, could it be the kit that is causing the drop connection even more than before?

I know I might be wrong here, but as I bought a cheap kit, could it be the kit that is causing the drop connection even more than before?

As we discussed in the other thread, you could buy better quality F-type to F-type patch leads, but the biggest loss is still through the splitter. In theory the loss through a perfect inductive splitter is 3dB. In practice it is around 3.5dB. There's nothing you can do about this. So I still think you would have the same problem, even with better quality leads.

I don't think buying a more expensive splitter will help. In my experience the ones I bought in Poundland gave the same results as the ones I bought in Maplin.

As we discussed in the other thread, you could buy better quality F-type to F-type patch leads, but the biggest loss is still through the splitter. In theory the loss through a perfect inductive splitter is 3dB. In practice it is around 3.5dB. There's nothing you can do about this. So I still think you would have the same problem, even with better quality leads.

I don't think buying a more expensive splitter will help. In my experience the ones I bought in Poundland gave the same results as the ones I bought in Maplin.

So are you saying I should keep the current kit then?

Do engineers repull the cables both outside and inside?

There's no harm in trying a more expensive splitter & more expensive leads (apart from spending more money of course!), but IMO, I don't think it's worth it.

From what I've heard, they just repull a new cable from the cabinet to the outside box on your wall. I don't think they usually need to enter your house to do anything.

Do you have a VM tv box now.

If not get on to VM and ask them if you can have their free tv package.( i have that now)
Tell them you would like to try before you subscribe.
They will install a box splitter and all that is required.

And at a later date(your choice how long you wait) remove their box and install yours.

There's no harm in trying a more expensive splitter & more expensive leads (apart from spending more money of course!), but IMO, I don't think it's worth it.

From what I've heard, they just repull a new cable from the cabinet to the outside box on your wall. I don't think they usually need to enter your house to do anything.

I dont want to waste more money tbh, the more expensive kit really wont make any difference on solving the intermittent problems.

Well I took all the cables out etc and resetup everything and its gotten even worse if thats possible, now its just lose connection constantly.

So ye Im screwed, out of option's.

---------- Post Merged at 11:00 AM ----------

Do you have a VM tv box now.

If not get on to VM and ask them if you can have their free tv package.( i have that now)
Tell them you would like to try before you subscribe.
They will install a box splitter and all that is required.

And at a later date(your choice how long you wait) remove their box and install yours.

Will they really give the box for free if you take the free tv package? I thought you would have to pay to get the box?

Im sure there are hidden charges like delivery, installation.

You say they will install a splitter, dont they give extra coax cables?

I dont know how much more money I can spend tbh.

Plus wont they get suspicious with you taking just the free package and then removing the box?

I have been told here when you apply the splitter to the setup there will be signal loss, but couldn't this be the result of the serious intermittent problem?

Back