New ZGEMMA-STAR 2S Twin Sat

Just note on vix backup on zgemma box (either)

Menu
setup
vix
image manager
green button for New Backup

once its done go to ur pc and ftp program.
copy the file from the box to pc. Its in folder /hdd/imagebackups/openatv-zgemmas2s-4.2.1-"dateandtime".zip (dont worry it says openatv)

open the zip and copy out the zgemma folder.
open it and the sh1 folder.
insert the "force" and "imageversion" files from any zgemma flash folder into sh1 folder.
put this gemma folder containing sh1 containing the 4 files onto usb and flash in rear usb when needed

Last edited:
Guys I think I may have broken my Zgemma Star 2S box and am not sure if it's fixable.... I feel such a fool :beg:cause by accident I did something I know I shouldn't have.

Had sucmnsee's fab vix build but was struggling with a plugin i'd added, went to upgrade the plugins and ended up doing an online system upgrade of vix instead in error.
OpenVIX now detects the box as a MaxDigital XP1000 and works ok but won't flash back the image from usb on boot (it's as though the usb drivers aren't loading until the box has booted.

Does anyone have any suggestions or am I doomed?

Is there any fix? TIA

Get latest build of Openatv image, rename noforce file to force.

Thanks @raulvibes, sucmnsees image was already force and that didnt work but will try with OpenATV as you suggest and let you know.

---------- Post Merged at 09:52 PM ----------

It doesn't work with the latest OpenATV and renaming file to force (ie wont flash from USB on boot). I checked that the drive was correctly formatted too before trying.

What does the bootloader file hosted on the manufacturer site do and how does it work?
Alternatively as TS panel is working is there anyway can I use the tools it has? The build as it stands works I just hope there is no time bomb like the clone VU receivers faced :)

Are there any plugins you can use to flash from when already within OpenVIX via USB?

Sorry for all the Questions and really hope an expert can help, TIA

If the box is operating, it should flash on boot unless that rear port is damaged. I reckon you have already checked that port is working.

Sometimes, windows quick format doesn't do job properly. Uncheck quick format option and do that time consuming format. Try downloading image again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Raulvibes even after a slow format the pen drive wouldn't work but I tried another and it flashed straight away - what a relief!

Thanks Raulvibes even after a slow format the pen drive wouldn't work but I tried another and it flashed straight away - what a relief!
That's a relief, especially with far east equipment. I thought u had already tried with different USB drive. Nevertheless enjoy flashing.

might be an idea to name working usb sticks used,on vu i use integral and kingston 8gb.

I do not think the brand names really matter because it's the flash memory type that is more important (a lot of different brands use the same memory) in which case maybe the stick model numbers could be useful.

Wasn't there something about using only 4gb sticks due to issues? I know I have had issues using 8gb+ before with various brands.

---------- Post Merged at 12:52 AM ----------

might be an idea to name working usb sticks used,on vu i use integral and kingston 8gb.

I do not think the brand names really matter because it's the flash memory type that is more important (a lot of different brands use the same memory) in which case maybe the stick model numbers could be useful.

Wasn't there something about using only 4gb sticks due to issues? I know I have had issues using 8gb+ before with various brands.

The weird thing is that the drive that wouldn't flash the box was the same one i'd used previously to put on sucmnsee's build but then had initialised it and used it in the box to hold the swap file, epg etc. I did a full format using the HP tool and the Windows Slow way so I think something must permanently change in the USB once it's been in the box?? I have a separate USB stick which I'll keep just for flashing and fingers crossed will be ok.(y) Once again many thanks to raulvibes for saving the day!

I'm having problems with the USB issue as well. I'm not even able to load Sucmnsee's image onto my box as the box just boots up and won't flash. Tried two different sticks.

The USB is obviously ok as I saved my original box image to it.

Is there anything else i can try?

Download pc tool to low level format the usbs.
FULL format with it then FULL format with windows and try again.
only the "zgemma" folder and its contents go on the usb.

I think it doesnt matter architecture or brand of usb. The box itself somehow corrupts it in my experience.
Any size up to 32 gb is ok for flashing with

Last edited:
I know this thread hasn't been used in a few days but where's the best place to get one of these from...?

According to Sucmnsee iamthebest666 a user on here " who is reliable and cheap" if you want to buy from the UK (although I haven't bought from him). I got mine from Aliexpress direct from manufacturer and it was delivered 5 days later, however when I bought mine nobody was selling this box in the UK. Obviously think about return shipping costs if there were to be any issues. They're also now available on Ebay. Great box really chuffed with mine, but it did take some setting up. Good luck! :-)

I know this thread hasn't been used in a few days but where's the best place to get one of these from...?

According to Sucmnsee iamthebest666 a user on here " who is reliable and cheap" if you want to buy from the UK (although I haven't bought from him). I got mine from Aliexpress direct from manufacturer and it was delivered 5 days later, however when I bought mine nobody was selling this box in the UK. Obviously think about return shipping costs if there were to be any issues. They're also now available on Ebay. Great box really chuffed with mine, but it did take some setting up. Good luck! :-)

Thanks for the Advice, I have been talking to "iamthebest666" today so will see...

The ones I've seen on eBay are getting great reviews £99 Pre loaded with openATV and all the bells and whistles, I'm not to interested in Vix yet as im new to the Linux game so would rather stick with officially supported Firmware...

also so I would guess the eBay ones should be genuine/official as these are new boxes they shouldn't of been "cloned" yet...?

ive downloaded a tutorial to set it up/adding in a line but can I pick your Brains if needed?

so I would guess the eBay ones should be genuine/official as these are new boxes they shouldn't of been "cloned" yet...?
I think they may have been cloned already - apparently some are kicking around with a different tuner fitted which is sub-standard :fear:.....

I've now reverted back to the OpenATV build after doing an OTA update on Sucmnsee's great VIX build by mistake. At the time I panicked at the thought of ending up with a door stop so spent the time getting OpenATV right instead. I've still not seen any advantages to OpenVIX over OpenATV. With OpenATV you can do online updates, easy backups and install plugins safely too - the only pain is most of the support for OpenATV is in German but I've managed even though I don't speak the lingo.

All on the forum here are a helpful bunch so post away....

Back