Openbox V8s - Hardware Mismatch

Update:- Having bricked this 'clone' box, i set about the fix with the ERom Upgrade Tool, Null modem cable and Prolific PL 2303 HXD USB connector. the first couple of attempts I was getting a 'STB memory error' so, thinking of the reapers methods, I changed firmware to an older version and that loaded OK. However, this time when the box booted up it got to 93% then stuck showing 'E001'. I tried again, with the latest firmware and it all went according to plan. ticked no. 15 in the satlist, downloaded latest TP list over the network and everything is good again!

reaper, where can I buy the openbox v8s ensuring it's a genuine one, two amazon suppliers have now given me the clones with the issue in this thread, one of them used to provide genuines

90% of the boxes now on sale are fake/clone/copy which is why the major compay has moved on to the new FreeSat V8/V7 series of boxes shown here freesat service
Sellers know they are knocking out clones but they aren't going to tell you and sell at a loss.
One dealer I know is still selling originals but even so I would ask that he guarantees the box as genuine and installs latestfirmware and list before you buy.
PM me for dealer details.
Reaper.

Is it me or has this wave of clone boxes got clone remote controls too?

They're definitely not as responsive.

A genuine one has a white circular quality control sticker on the back and 'SKYBOX F' written under the battery cover. The dodgy one doesn't!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct in your thoughts Bd---there are over 20 little companies in Shenzhen mass producing remote controls plus other compaies producing look alike products---isn't life simple lol
Reaper.

I have now got my hands on a V8s and a V5s which we originally used as demo models-----I loaded with latest firmware and both fired up then I upgraded using the network ota and no problems. Went back into network upgrade and downloaded the channel lists---good. Lastly I installed working lines and voila! all up and running so these two receivers are genuine and original plus fully operational---open to deals--PM.
Reaper.

{Both gone]

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm new here, and new to the whole sat thing. However I am a very interested techie, and part time IT engineer. Having read this topic I was very interested to see the comment made regarding clones/copies, so on that basis, as I was looking to buy an Openbox I would like some recommendations for legitimate sources. A cheap one would be nice. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi All,
Yes, I purchased 2 of these boxes from an online website. Get "Scrambled" message on channels, even though line is good. Have an other V8S box as reference.
Both give the same "Hardware Mismatch" error when trying to update the firmware.

We have warned many times---if the v8s is advertised as original/genuine and turns out to be a clone then you have the right to your money back.
Reaper.

Hi All,
Yes, I purchased 2 of these boxes from an online website. Get "Scrambled" message on channels, even though line is good. Have an other V8S box as reference.
Both give the same "Hardware Mismatch" error when trying to update the firmware.

Yep, exact same experience for me, hence why Im moving to try the v8 super as they dont seem to be getting cloned yet.

The new V8 series cannot be cloned hence the change from .abs to.bin files plus the security chip within the main chipset is developed and programmed exclusively by the company to prevent cloning.
Reaper.

Back