Picons - up to date

Cheers kiddac i have read your first post but some picons were missing when using the ones from your dropbox so was just wondering if a new pack was available. I wasnt aware you could just unzip ipk thats what i needed to know cheers.

EDIT
you dont have any picons in your dropbox kiddac?

Last edited:
If anyone would like to try my updated picon set out please feel free to give them a go. (srp 400x240 tv channels 200x120 for radio channels all translucent).
ftp or connect to your box by any way you see fit. change directory to hdd/ and rename your picon folder to something different, i.e picon.old (to keep them safe in case you do not like them you can just delete this pack and return to your old set after renaming back to picon)
unpack the zip file to find the picon directory, transfer this extracted picon folder to hdd/ so you have hdd/picon.
http://1drv.ms/1kIoegr = picons.zip

thanks to the original picon pack creator, all i have done is to add all the missing picons (even those from the not indexed bouquet)
it is missing 6 adult XXX linked channel picons and 3 non transmiting (poss data only channels that have no ID's)

sirhc

if this goes against anyones wishes please remove this post and let me know so i do not over step and tread on anyone else's toes.

big update to my personal picon set.

over 50 updated/replaced/renewed and in the next few days all the radio picons will get sorted.

some are 400 x 240 for tv and 200 x 120 for radio, some are full size

http://1drv.ms/1ZbnRIV

sirhc

I had picons on the previous Slyk version 2 and since I've downloaded version 3 I've not got round to downloading it yet.The EPG seams to run smoother without it. Is this the case? I really don't want it slowing down anymore to be honest

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never noticed any slow downs on my box but my box is a bare essentials build i made from a nightly update OE 5.1. all non needed drivers and plugins removed and seems to be sweet as a nut for me.
ABM updates nightly as does xmltv, about 6 different auto timers (keeps the missus happy) and my picon updates keep the epg looking nice.

Manyb others have problems with loaded boxes or huge picon folders or both, but i am more than happy with my setup, its one of those things personal choice is what makes us individual.
download a picon set and give them a try. if you think they are slowing your epg/box down just dissable them and delete the picon set from your hdd (if you have one) or usb drive etc,

sirhc

thats what im doing now with picon channel numbers. when i tried picons before i did have a prebackup but ive done a fresh install since with only essential plugins so hopefully it wont slow down the box

the less crap on a system the faster it will be, just look at the average laptop/computer user, they buy a machine new and its like the proverbial shit of a shovel and after a few months they start to slow down and eventually crawl into use, power on and go to boil the kettle and make a cuppa then come back to start using it.. lol these boxes are nix based systems and suffer the same problems. no matter who buys one they will plough through plugins trying them out then removing them bla bla bla but no end of doing this just builds up the crud behind the scenes that does not get removed when you uninstall stuff and just starts slowing the system down. the only way to go is leave it clean with only what you need installed and keep it that way.

I was in IT for over 20 years using unix/linux systems and windows of all flavours. Eventually i had enough of the same shit just another day virus hunting and wiping laptops clean that i just had to change professions and bought a taxi company. If you know what a phillips Dmac was and how to convert it to a d2mac then you will know how long ive been into satellite gear.

sirhc

what i have found with picons is, on hdd, the box access the picons and moves to cache, if you have a slow hdd then your box will slow also if you hdd goes to sleep again spin start up time will slow your box down

on usb a lot faster and better than a hdd

internal flash is best, i have a alien2, not good on internal memory but i have a full picon list in flash and still have memory available

spot on pauldb. I can zip up and down full pages of the epg nearly instantly or even jump through bouquets and its still just as fast. initially pushing the epg button there is a split second delay but it is still loads faster than my genuine sky box ever was..

sirhc

My hard drive is set to sleep so would that then slow the epg down? I might turn it off and see how it goes. I do have to wait a couple of seconds everytime i press the epg button it's not that fast

Slates71 once the epg is loaded is it swift moving up and down, jumping full pages and moving through bouquets, if so it could be your hdd is sleeping and taking time to spin up to speed again to access the picon files, setting the drive not to go to sleep could help out a bit, but since its basically a little computer other things may come into play slowing things down.
Give it a try, Nothing to loose and if it makes no difference you can set it back to auto sleep after x mins.

sirhc

I've made a dropbox account for my personal picon set so if anyone wants to try/use them i will post all the updates to my DB and notify any interested people in thus thread..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qww9jrd7hzlcp5x/AAA__C3PraChMVMszCNrSVQva?dl=0

sirhc

p.s
I am also looking into building/compiling a new image or even stripping out more of the built in crud if i can not find the relative build/make info because digging into a fresh build i got a couple of days ago it had a youtube downloader baked into it ??? why. I do not use wifi and never will so want to strip the built in wifi crud out as well to make a smaller and quicker image/system but at the mo i am confined to bed and my main systems are outside in my office so this may be a good while away. I want a fast barebones rock solid satellite decoder system not a glorified pc with facebook, email and bloody twitter...... I have a tablet and laptop for streaming and facebook, maybe i am a dinosaur but a sat decoder is for watching sat tv and a comp/lappy/tablet is for all the rest... :nolisten:

All radio station picons are updated, in a complete picon set ( all 1080 of them) or just as an update zip.

I will look at the movie and sports stations next week to see if they need updating, some of the btsport picons are huge and some sky sports ones are tiny so i will try sort them out..

sirhc

Head slightly batterd with the radio picon update today/yesterday but non the less thanks to Smithonline for noticing bbc three has rebranded its logo I have sneaked a little and I mean little update-110116.zip onto my drop box update folder with 2 new picons for bbc three and bbc three hd. Not tried them but I think for a first version they might be ok, might make them slightly bigger tho when i get a chance to see them on my epg list later today.

sirhc

If you can point me in the direction to find out about them or if u have a few i can look at to get an idea of what and how they are named etc i can look into it for you Konan3000, but no promises tho..

sirhc

Kiddac, just so you know, these ones you recommended are great. Every day there's a software update practically updating them for you. Nice and big too.

Sir, thanks, tried yours too. Nice!

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

Back