Sky customers set to loose 12 channels

I bet Sly are offering about 4p a sub per month to discovery but they want 10p a sub

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

It seems like the days of Sly being the biggest fish in the pond are numbered. First we have BT (worth $38 billion dollars) forcing them to increase their football costs to an average of £11 million per Premier League match and now Discovery (worth $12 billion dollars) playing hardball with their 12 channels. I can't see Discovery caving in because surely a company of that size has already worked out their future strategy with these channels (via BT and Virgin).

It is rather odd that anyone wanting to watch all of Sky Sports, BT Sport and Eurosport in one package can only get them via VM.

That's cause Vm have had special treatment so that can get a foothold in the broadband and TV market

Sky statement:
We have worked really hard for more than a year to get a deal done for our customers with Discovery, so we are disappointed with their misleading claims and aggressive actions. We now feel it’s time to set the record straight. Because despite our differences, we love Discovery too.
We were prepared to pay a fair price for the Discovery and Eurosport channels and invest more in those channels to make them even better for our customers. We have offered hundreds of millions of pounds to Discovery, a $12bn American business, but that wasn’t enough. They asked the Sky Group to pay close to £1bn for their portfolio of channels, many of which are in decline.
Sadly, we have now had to prepare for Discovery to take their channels away from Sky customers, as they have threatened to do. It is Discovery’s choice to do this, not ours. We never left the negotiating table and they haven’t come back to it since they made their threats public this week.
Sky doesn’t boot channels off our platform. If Discovery don’t want their channels to disappear, as their public campaign suggests, they could have made arrangement to stay on Sky, including free to air with advertising funding or with their own subscription, but they’ve chosen not to do so.
Our commitment to our customers is this: We will spend every penny that we were going to pay to Discovery on more and better content that our customers value. This will come from sources around the globe and home grown shows and documentaries from the UK. We will continue to offer customers a huge range of content including hundreds of shows from The History Channel, National Geographic, PBS, Sky Arts and Sky Atlantic, along with more amazing sport on Sky Sports Mix, available to all our customers.
We hope our customers understand that we have been working on their behalf and will always do that. We thank them for their support.

Sky Sports Mix is shite so hopefully that won't be the benchmark for the new content. "Let's stick a load of crap documentaries nobody will ever watch and also simulcast the same game we have on Sky Sports 1 for no apparent reason!"

at least they are going to spend every penny they would have spent on the package
so no discount

sad time for their customers on sky

The African Cup of Nations has HUGE ratings on Eurosport and customers who have watched whole tournament (not to mention huge amount of Africans in UK) will miss semi finals and final now if they are watching on Sky. Only Daily Record seems to have picked this up.

Discovery Channels

by
favicon.ico
VirginMedia Thursday - last edited Friday by
favicon.ico
Kev_B

[FONT=&quot]Discovery have announced that some people may be losing access to their channels next week.
[FONT=&quot]But if you’re a Virgin Media customer, don’t worry![/FONT]
Discovery, Animal Planet, TLC and Eurosport won’t be disappearing from your Channel Guide.

[FONT=&quot]Although the channels are showing some messages warning about this, you’ll be pleased to know that there is no change and they will still be available to Virgin Media TV subscribers.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Discovery Channels

by
favicon.ico
VirginMedia Thursday - last edited Friday by
favicon.ico
Kev_B

[FONT=&quot]Discovery have announced that some people may be losing access to their channels next week.
[FONT=&quot]But if you’re a Virgin Media customer, don’t worry![/FONT]
Discovery, Animal Planet, TLC and Eurosport won’t be disappearing from your Channel Guide.

[FONT=&quot]Although the channels are showing some messages warning about this, you’ll be pleased to know that there is no change and they will still be available to Virgin Media TV subscribers.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Ha ha virgin media middle finger to sky lol

dont no why people are worrying about different platforms for, have seen people asking
virgin is nothing to do with sky

Although Virgin is nothing to do with sky they do pay a sub to sky for a lot of their channels, they both had a similar fallout a few years back which ended in virgin losing some sky channels for nearly 2 years.

The Sly and VM spat in 2007 took 18 months to be resolved. Both started high court law suits and both sides claimed victory when the deal was resolved.

The only deal will be Sly pay more money to Discovery but it will not be the full amount Discovery wants.

Whether Sly make the deal this week or in two years is the question. Its only business.

I think Sly still thinks 1996 and don't all have alternatives in the way we get our media, this is the thin end of the wedge for Sly, being run by people who think that they are God's of entertainment. I can see Sly doing this with other channels

mmmmm so people paying for these via other avenues should get a discount then lol!!!! I do and i will be really pissed off that these disappear as i watch a fair amount on these channels.

those who maybe interested following this news Eurosport player is currently available for 19.99 for 12 months (should be 59.99) deal end 2moro mind!

Iptv sub for 60 more for year with every channel plus 3pm kickoff. And HD
£19.99 for eurosports player is robbery mate.

omg doom and gloom as sky shutting down,panic,panic.[video=youtube;9jK-NcRmVcw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw[/video]

Back