V8S Open Box Problems

steve1982

I recently got a V8s Open Box and have spent the best part of a week trying to sort it out, I don't seem to be able to get a lot of the horizontally polarized channels, I'm getting no signal yet my vertical ones are fine 90%+ signal and intensity, to add to my problem after installing a epg update a lot of the channels(horizontal) are blank screen but when I hit info it shows high signal and intensity, help !

Check your lnb connections as cable insulation may have perished leting in water as precaution cut back cable 6" or more if you got spare and refit with new rf plug and seal with self sealing tape. My mate had same problem & cured the problem.....buggsy

Going to check lmb this morning, do I check for the obvious, water dirt, bad connections, also I have 2 sky boxes connected to the 1 dish on a multiple lmb connector (a quad ?) Would it be worth changing the connections ? And i have already made sure both sky boxes are disconnected from dish and mains.
Thank you the answers/suggestions reaper & buggsy

It never hurts to clean and change the connectors.
Make sure when you cut cable back that you are getting a good connection with the outer casing when screwing the connectors on.
If this doesn't cure the problem at least it will eliminate one possible fault.
Do the same at the box end as well.

if you have two sky boxes connected try switching the cables retune and update the channel list and of course check the outside connections as previously mentioned as you said you had a quad lnb connect to the rwo other inputs and seal the original inputs this may cure the problem as the inputs are independent of each other.....buggsy

Hi Steve,

I had the same issue with the Vertical signal i purchased a a H&V cable fixer and worked a treat.
try ebay i cant post link as i'm a newbie, try "openbox No signal Fix" and you will find them.

Cheers
Cracker91

Please read the members post correctly---his vertical channels are 90%---no need for the "fix"
As Benijofar states----The No signal fix is a cure for vertical channel problems only.
Reaper.

No sarkiness my friend and no offence meant but straight advice---we try to be professional on this site and help each other as required but one post in error can mean that the thread disappears into a multitude of postings giving advice about the wrong problem. Your advice was good but for the wrong polorization so a quick read and the error would have been edited by yourself.
Sorry you feel offended but none meant.
Reaper.

I am going up my ladder in a while, however what is really baffling me is that when I tune to some channels I am getting a blank screen but. When I hit info it shows 90% ish on both signal and intensity, I'm not even getting 'no signal' or 'scrambled' just a blank screen, how can that be with the high signal ?

Right been up ladder cleaned and reconnected and now I'm pulling my hair out as I am still getting some blank screens, this is what I get for sky sports news

I really am baffled as to why I've great signal and intensity and no picture
tmp_28430-IMG_20160105_160522-881615046.jpg

This may seem a silly question but when checking the scanned channel listing, do you see any foreign channels listed i.e german or spanish?
Reaper.

The picture you show appears to have the incorrect transponder settings for that channel ?
Which channel list are you using and where did you download it from ?
Are you trying to access HD channels which are no longer available ?

Last edited:
The picture you show appears to have the incorrect transponder settings for that channel ?
Which channel list are you using and where did you download it from ?

TP_PROG_UK_20151201 downloaded by network

---------- Post Merged at 04:28 PM ----------

This may seem a silly question but when checking the scanned channel listing, do you see any foreign channels listed i.e german or spanish?
Reaper.

No reaper just UK and the odd foreign news channels who broadcast in English like Al J etc

Try the CWAITES list dated 17/12/15 in the skybox section by CDUB74.
I had problems on a number of boxes using the updates over air and all solved by a manual download.
Sky spts news HQ on 12148 not 12280 ? as per your screen ?

Last edited:
The only way that a wrong transponder would show is if your dish has moved slightly to the right thereby picking up astra 19.2e as well as 28.2e. 28.2e is the stronger of the two sats so will try to over-ride the other----this is a regular occurance and best corrected with a small cheap sat finder [meter] or the prehistoric method of turning dish by hand-cm by cm and having the wife/girlfriend or whoever, watching the box and shouting when picture appears.
Either method works and if the shoutee gets a sore throat that's a bonus to you lol
Reaper.

When you say in your original post you installed a new 'epg'. Do you mean a channel list? Or the XMLTV EPG?

If if its a channel list, try another, if it's XMLTV, revert back to satellite settings. Oh, and you are using the plug/PSU that came with your box aren't you, not a spurious one from another device?

The channel info you are showing is definitely for HD transmission only on 28.2 E and not available to us any longer.
Don't know if it's the same on 19.2 e ?
Sky Sports news HQ doesn't use that transponder frequency on 19.2 E

Last edited:
Back