which box

Can you hook a hard drive up to Kryptview and record? Also i take it the A780 is the best cable box on the market? newbie and just looking for some advice, thank

The only thing i can say is if u get a Kryptview or starview and it goes down your not left with much if u have a dish at least u can pick your share and if your not happy move to the next one and u still get free sat chans,so a sat box is never really going to be a door stop like cable.

Hi alan78,

Can you hook a hard drive up to Kryptview and record? Also i take it the A780 is the best cable box on the market?

No you can't record with the Kryptview. Its a matter of opinion which is the best cable box on the market. Although I will not knock the starview as Ive had many happy years in the past with them, I am not keen on the starview team and how they manage their boxes and customers. But if some of their customers are happy then fair do's. For me the Kryptview is my choice purely because no subs required hence no hassle with subscriptions etc etc

jodav :)

For totally free TV (buy box and no subs) its KV... yes there is that chance it can go off...but then it aint(essex) yours in the first place..! but every month your 55 quid better off min... PPV are back on.. shame its MUTV...!!haha

---------- Post Merged at 03:01 PM ----------

For totally free TV (buy box and no subs) its KV... yes there is that chance it can go off...but then it aint(essex) yours in the first place..! but every month your 55 quid better off min... PPV are back on.. shame its MUTV...!!haha

cant remember on the kv hd a 850 is there 0ne or two usb ports 1 for flashing and/or adding an external hdd?

Thanks for all the replys people, this seems a really cool site.

Had a starview up until 2 and a half years ago. Think i got 4 years out of it so well got my value for money. I've been reading about the forums and collecting as much knowledge as i can. I have ordered a null modem cable and i think i might take a gamble on the kyptview a780, as for it going down i could deal with that, just out of curiousity on average how long doe's it go down for? and doe's it go down often? i remember with starview it would go down now and again but was always back up running in a couple of days mostly.

Also when i recieve Krytpview is all i need to do is flash it and scan it? i have read the other thread and have a rough idea, once its flashed and scanned i understand i hook my ethernet cable up, is it just a case of plugging in ethernet and thats you? will maybe order one today or 2mo if i feel confident enough in setting up.

Thanks everyone.

I cant get a dish Tornado because i have problems with my roof, so cable it must be.

Last edited:
do you have access to a pc with xp and serial port for using the null modem cable,if yes your half way there.

Yes i've got a pc, i've got a male serial port, i ordered a female to female null modem cable, only thing is i have windows vista, thanks :)

Hi alan78 :)

just out of curiousity on average how long doe's it go down for?

Sometimes it may go down for a couple of hours, and sometimes could be a day or two. probably very simular to what you are used to. Maybe now and then it may glitch on a few channels. all in all it has been going well for a long time now.

Also when i recieve Krytpview is all i need to do is flash it and scan it?

Yes thats all you have to do, note there will be a big black square sticker right near the power switch on the rear, this needs to be peeled off to reveal the ethernet port. The reason I mention this is its very easy to think there is no port there as many people will testify.

is it just a case of plugging in ethernet and thats you?

Yes, its as simple as that.

only thing is i have windows vista,

The Operating system is irrelivent when using a serial port. It will flash no problem with Vista at all. The reason people say XP, is because you do not get all that many Vista machines with a 9pin serial port, USB came on the scene and made serial ports dead in the water. IMPORTANT ensure it is a 9pin port you are looking at and not a 15pin VGA port, they look very simular in shape and size. See picture here of serial port. Lincast Nick Nacks is a good place to order the NULL cable from (£2).

Good Luck,

Hi alan78 :)

Sometimes it may go down for a couple of hours, and sometimes could be a day or two. probably very simular to what you are used to. Maybe now and then it may glitch on a few channels. all in all it has been going well for a long time now.

Yes thats all you have to do, note there will be a big black square sticker right near the power switch on the rear, this needs to be peeled off to reveal the ethernet port. The reason I mention this is its very easy to think there is no port there as many people will testify.

Yes, its as simple as that.

The Operating system is irrelivent when using a serial port. It will flash no problem with Vista at all. The reason people say XP, is because you do not get all that many Vista machines with a 9pin serial port, USB came on the scene and made serial ports dead in the water. IMPORTANT ensure it is a 9pin port you are looking at and not a 15pin VGA port, they look very simular in shape and size. See picture of serial port. Lincast Nick Nacks is a good place to order the NULL cable from (£2).

Good Luck,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, your info is so so helpful :)

Yeah its defo 9 port and it says serial, my VGA is into my tv anyway, my computer is 2007 and one of the first Vistas on the market i think. Just out of curiousity how do you update with a more modern PC then? Just incase i need to replace my PC.

This box sounds perfect, i could handle it going down for a day or 2 as i have freeview anyway.

Also do you only have to flash box once? then it updates itself manually via ethernet? or do you have to flash using serial port everytime new firmware comes out?

Seems simple to setup then, i had the starview 3 years ago so have some knowledge in flashing, just been so long since i've done it, thanks :)

This sites brilliant

Hi :)

With a modern PC you need to purchase a USB to Serial adapter lead, you then connect the adapter and Null modem cables together and flash the box. The problem is getting a driver to suit the lead, Operating system, and BIOS. You then have to set a comm port in device manager in order for it to work. Ignore changing BAUD rate as this is not required. It can be frustrating and if your not comp savy then leave alone. It is however simple if your comp savy, just a matter of downloading drivers till you get one that suits.

You only ever have to flash the box manualy once, from that point onwards its over the ethernet\Internet as newer firmware comes out and very very simple.

In answer to your question on your other post. I have been buying my recent ones from DC recievers but I think they are currently at least not selling them. Lincast Nick Nacks are however a trusted site to get one.

Have a read of tips and tricks here to get a bit more info on what I have said. http://www.techkings.org/kryptview/35814-some-kryptview-problem-solving-tips-tricks.html and have a read of other Tuts.

Hi :)

With a modern PC you need to purchase a USB to Serial adapter lead, you then connect the adapter and Null modem cables together and flash the box. The problem is getting a driver to suit the lead, Operating system, and BIOS. You then have to set a comm port in device manager in order for it to work. Ignore changing BAUD rate as this is not required. It can be frustrating and if your not comp savy then leave alone. It is however simple if your comp savy, just a matter of downloading drivers till you get one that suits.

You only ever have to flash the box manualy once, from that point onwards its over the ethernet\Internet as newer firmware comes out and very very simple.

In answer to your question on your other post. I have been buying my recent ones from DC recievers but I think they are currently at least not selling them. Lincast Nick Nacks are however a trusted site to get one.

Have a read of tips and tricks here to get a bit more info on what I have said. http://www.techkings.org/kryptview/35814-some-kryptview-problem-solving-tips-tricks.html and have a read of other Tuts.

Thanks again, you've been really really helpfull, going to take the plunge, when i bought my old starview years ago i knew it was a gamble but got 4 years out of it, think i'll gamble again, even if i get 3 months its worth it.

Also if a buy a 2nd hand one from ebay or gumtree and its been flashed, i will just have to rescan it to tune it to my area? and plug in my ethernet cable. Think i've got enough answers for meantime though and i will continue to study site. Cheers :)

Also if a buy a 2nd hand one from ebay or gumtree and its been flashed, i will just have to rescan it to tune it to my area?

Thats correct bud, but set back to factory default in the installation section of the menu first (Do not worry it does not reset your firmware), then do S\W update on it just incase it has a later firmware available from last user (ensuring you have your ethernet connected). Continue to do S\W update until you get the message its already updated.

Good Luck, you can always get more help here at TechKings should you need it.

Let us know how you get on,

Think i'll need a 15m ethernet cable and i'm good to go, sure i read somewhere that you cant use homeplugs, thanks for all the support, learnt so much in a short space of time, appreciate the effort :)

sure i read somewhere that you cant use homeplugs

I use 85Mbps solwise homeplugs, plug and play, simple as that.
Code:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Value-Mbps-Home-Double/dp/B000TV7FJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355648692&sr=8-1

One more then i'm outa here, and give you some peace :)

Is there an rf out so i can run some coaxiall to a second tv, cheers

Im not at home at the moment but I'm sure there is. I just use two Kryptview boxes in my house with home plugs and extra splitter. That way people in the house can watch different channels.

Thats the setup i had in my old house with 2 starview boxes, just would be good to have option of watching in second room, not bothered that i cant change the channel + got freeview in second room, thanks again :)

Back