Xpeed LX2 Setup Guide

EPG is set to USB, I think Ive done something wrong with the setup (see screen shot attached) so I'll try the backup from forcefire thanks

That link for the manual including pictures is not there -
The directory ./openvix-builds/Guides and Tutorials/ Read More at : http:/www.techkings.org/general-satellite-discussion/68409-vix-manual-pdf-setting-up-enigma-2-boxes.html/ does not exist

Youre in the last scanned section. You need to get in to a bouquet. Like entertainment or sport or whatever.

---------- Post Merged at 07:30 PM ----------

Im having a blond moment tho and cant remember the sequence. Think on vix its just blue button in that epg. Or exit andpress up or down then channel + to cycle through bouquets.

Image updated to VIX 166 also made some changes to the post to include extra information to help new users get their boxes up and running quicker.

Will I need a hdd/USB straight away for the recording functions, or can I add this later?
What's the best hdd/USB to use?
Can I have EPG go to USB stick and recordings going to a Hdd?

Also a little confused in your guide.
4) Installs the image on the box
What does 5) do?

Last edited:
You will need something to record on yes, either USB drive or external HDD, you can use any size drive but I would recommend at least 16GB if you don't do much recording and will delete the recording once watched. You can pick up a 320gb HDD of fleabay for less than £25.

The EPG is better going to a external drive, if you have a USB you don't need a HDD it one or the other depending on how much storage you need.

5) is basically once the image is flashed plug your external storage device into the box, this is either a USB drive of external HDD

Ok thanks FF
Would I be able to use a USB powered Hdd with this box?
Someone mentioned in this thread, best to go with a USB stick so the Hdd isn't starting up all the time, what's best in your opinion?

My box is being delivered tom, so will set it up weds.Can I just flash it from the off without going through the wizard thing?

TIA

Hi,

Yes you can flash it from the off, don't bother going through the set up as my backup will just over right what you do lol

Yes a powered external HDD is best or using a powered USB hub, these boxes will power a USB drive no problem so some HDD's require more power than supplied but a external HDD is fine with this box, I have a 320gb drive attached via a powered USB hub and the drive is on all the time so no delay in powering up, the powered USB hub cost me a fiver of ebay and the external HDD cost me £23.
That said if you have a 16gb or larger USB drive and don't record much then just just use that, no need to spend money on a external HDD, the USB drive will do the job just fine.

Last edited:
3 slightly off-topic questions but I thought this would be a good place to ask (good number of current Xpeed LX2 owners present in this thread). I am a Skybox F5 user for the last 3 yrs now. Want to upgrade went through the forum and I think Xspeed LX2 looks like a worthy upgrade (if not, I am open to suggestions; my max budget is £120). Right so, my questions -

1. Is the EPG better on Xspeed LX2 as compared to F5 ? I do not want any recording features on my box. It's basically to view one channel at a time
2. Remote on the F5 is a major pain, you might has well not have a remote considering it short range. Is it better on the Xspeed LX2 ?
3. World of Satellite the best place to buy the box currently ?

@ krazydude
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes

Also if you are not interested in recording they do the Xpeed LX 1, which is the same spec with just a single tuner for £79

@Forcefire

I have started to set my boxes up like this.

cam.jpg

No need to delete MG Cam if you want to use CCcam, just make sure only one cam is active at any time.

I put my lines ( N lines ) in a CCcam.cfg file which is ftp'd to etc.

and also put them in a newcamd.list file ftp'd to var/keys,

that way I can switch cams at any time.

(had a problem with 1.38 on a gigablue once, no idea why, it worked on identical boxes, so I set both cams up at the start)

Last edited:
Just thought, I've got a Nas running 24/7 can i record to this?

I have a NAS drive but don't use it for my box, I use a dedicated HDD for my box.

3 slightly off-topic questions but I thought this would be a good place to ask (good number of current Xpeed LX2 owners present in this thread). I am a Skybox F5 user for the last 3 yrs now. Want to upgrade went through the forum and I think Xspeed LX2 looks like a worthy upgrade (if not, I am open to suggestions; my max budget is £120). Right so, my questions -

1. Is the EPG better on Xspeed LX2 as compared to F5 ? I do not want any recording features on my box. It's basically to view one channel at a time
2. Remote on the F5 is a major pain, you might has well not have a remote considering it short range. Is it better on the Xspeed LX2 ?
3. World of Satellite the best place to buy the box currently ?

Yes the EPG is better on VIX boxes than on Openbox's much nicer to use and using a skin like BlueHD gives it that $ky TV look.
If you only want to watch 1 channel at a time and have no interest in recording then don't buy this box, you can get a Xpeed LX1 (single tuner) for £79 or a Technomate TM-Nano for £89 so why pay £120 when you don't have to lol, checkout W.O.S as they have details on each box and show photos of the remote. The Xpeed remote is a good one, easy to use and good range so I would suggest you buy the Xpeed LX1.

@ Bee's I was always told only to ever have 1 installed at a time that's why I say remove mgcamd if your going to use CCCam but if your saying it doesn't conflict then thanks buddy I will have both setup on my box for the next updated image and will then edit my post :)

Last edited:
When will the next updated image be ready FF with the different cams in etc?
Would like the different choice.

Also, Im using a mac book pro, is there any programs you know of that i can use to FTP into the Xspeed box?
done a google but not sure if i need to use a specific program?

When will the next updated image be ready FF with the different cams in etc?
Would like the different choice.

Also, Im using a mac book pro, is there any programs you know of that i can use to FTP into the Xspeed box?
done a google but not sure if i need to use a specific program?

Funny you should ask, I'm planing on doing a new image tonight with CCcam 2.3.0 and MGcamd 1.35a installed so all the user has to do is add the line file :)

As for a FTP program for the Mac, checkout this site for a choice of free FTP programs you can use: The 7 Best Free FTP Apps for Your Mac « Mac.AppStorm

Good stuff, will hopefully be asking you how to and where to place the lines tom all going well with my box.
So i can basically use any FTP program for mac to FTP to the box?

Good stuff, will hopefully be asking you how to and where to place the lines tom all going well with my box.
So i can basically use any FTP program for mac to FTP to the box?

yes use any FTP program and instructions on how to add your line are on the first post so just follow them :)

UPDATE: New image uploaded, includes MGCamd v1.35a and CCcam v2.0.9 and v2.3.0 and a blank CCam.cfg file and a blank newcamd.list in user/keys.

Last edited:
so basically just copy the line info into the CCam.cfg file etc?

Thanks for this image, can't wait to try it out.

Back