Zgemma i55 save EPG to USB problems, help please.

pisshead

Zgemma i55 (IPTV only, i55 only has ethernet you see) save EPG to USB problems, help please.
I am using OpenATV version 6.0.

I only use the CrossEPG plugin for my 7 day epg, it updates once a day everyday or at least should do.

I can get my 7 day EPG to work just fine if I select it to save to internal flash memory which as you know is not recommended.

Problem is, I have two USB memory sticks plugged into the rear of the box and the box recognises them both etc but every time I select the two options to save CrossEPG and EPG to either of them they for some reason won't save or accept the EPG update at all and leaves me with no EPG at all until I turn the settings back to save to internal flash memory and then the EPG comes back again once it updates.

Please, I am desperate for help as I have been trying to figure this out for a couple of days now and getting nowhere, Can someone please tell me (in easy to follow layman's terms) how to fully configure the two USB sticks so that one is used to save all the EPG updates etc (anything to do with EPG) and the other USB stick works for recording and pausing, more important right now though is getting one of them to save everything to do with EPG so as to take the stress off the box internal memory and free up internal flash memory on the box, then I can work on the recording and pausing side of things (unless someone can tell me it all at the one time).

Both USB memory sticks work fine and are recognised with the box and I have already initialised them and both have shown they will record programmes albeit the live programme freezes at the start of the live recording though but still records full programmes etc but with a frozen picture, but I can still watch the recording afterwards no problem, so therefore the usb memory sticks do work fine, it's just damn :mad: working out how to get everything to do with the EPG to save onto one of them, thats the main problem first of all I suppose.

One is a genuine Crucial brand (Gizmo) 4GB USB Stick and one is a genuine Kingston datatraveler 32GB USB Stick, so I was thinking the 4GB one would be best for all EPG savings and the 32GB one only for recording and pausing if and when I can work all that out hopefully with the help of some of you great wiz kids in here thanks, much appreciated ;)

Last edited:
What sticks are they

Hi mate, the 4GB one is a Genuine Crucial (Gizmo) brand and the 32GB one is a Genuine Kingston DataTraveler brand.

As I mentioned, the box recognises both of the sticks no problem, plus I formatted them with the FAT32 file system too as should be done etc.

Last edited:
sticks for epg or recording need to be changed to ext 3 - ext4 format so box can use it,select your usb and initialize it and can be found under storage devices and convert ext3-ext4 and when done it will work.

sticks for epg or recording need to be changed to ext 3 - ext4 format so box can use it,select your usb and initialize it and can be found under storage devices and convert ext3-ext4 and when done it will work.

Ok, done, now what ?

I tried this already and still couldn't figure it out but if you could tell me how to set it now then I will do so please ?

go into your mount manager and it should list your devices for storage and you should see if you have mounted them correctly.

Attachments

• mount manager.jpg
    mount manager.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 63
I initialised and then converted both usb sticks to ext3-ext4 and restarted the box.

For the CrossEPG location I have set that to the 4GB Crucial (Gizmo) usb stick, but the other EPG setting (the one that that must be available at boot time) location only allows me to change it to either Internal flash or /media/sdb1 or /media/sda1 for the 32GB Kingston datatraveler usb stick.

What do I change the Kingston one to and will that save EPG and record too ?

Last edited:
Go to menu/infopanel/plugins/mount manager and check mounts and set them how you want them also check beside filesystem type and make sure it reads r/w not r/o. When set how you want reboot and re-enter mount manager to check the mounts have stayed the same then set your epg save location to the correct mountpoint and also recording and timeshift paths to whichever mountpoint you require.

Go to menu/infopanel/plugins/mount manager and check mounts and set them how you want them also check beside filesystem type and make sure it reads r/w not r/o. When set how you want reboot and re-enter mount manager to check the mounts have stayed the same then set your epg save location to the correct mountpoint and also recording and timeshift paths to whichever mountpoint you require.

Thanks for the info, I have followed both you guys instructions and so far looking good as far as the recording side of things and the EPG is still working too and it looks like I have the correct usb sticks/destinations set now (I think), I am new to all this so it's kinda tricky for me ya know what I mean ?

I also had to figure out how to get into the mount area etc that you guys were talking about and it's simply a case of pressing the blue button and thats that, but I didn't know that, hardly any guides or anything I can find for the Zgemma i55 box, most info is for the other models I notice.

Ok, so, the EPG seems to still be working but I will double check tomorrow after it's done it's auto update at 4am, should hopefully be ok as I tried it manually and the epg stayed where'as before that I was losing the EPG.

I checked to make sure the 32GB usb stick is recording and it is, but here is the other problem, as soon as I start to record a channel, literally within seconds the picture freezes but the recording continues and then if I let the recording go on until the end of whatever it is I was recording I can watch it back and I can pause, stop, rewind and fastforward etc, but it's a real pain that it freezes when I start to record :(

I don't know if the i55 can Pause live tv and also if this freezing when recording can be fixed, if it can by simple setting changes then these little boxes would be excellent for the money, the major pain in the arse is the fact I can't pause live programme viewing like the football or any channel at all I guess (I have heard VOD won't pause but if thats true then thats ok), so yes, not being able to pause live tv is a real pain because it means if you need to do a slash you end up missing a couple of minutes of whatever it is your watching, yes, very annoying :(

I don't even know things like if these i55's can record one channel and allow viewing of another and things like that, as I say, not a lot of info kicking about at all.

Not enough info around for these boxes like you say. Whether you can record or not would be down to your to your iptv service you would need a multiroom sub to do what you want I would think. Normal iptv sub is one stream if you are using that to record I would expect picture on box to freeze, with multiroom not multiple subs you should be able to record and watch

Not enough info around for these boxes like you say. Whether you can record or not would be down to your to your iptv service you would need a multiroom sub to do what you want I would think. Normal iptv sub is one stream if you are using that to record I would expect picture on box to freeze, with multiroom not multiple subs you should be able to record and watch
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strange, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where) that it is possible to get the live tv pause function to work but from what I remember it was a whole lot of mumbo jumbo about getting the correct timeshift & recording settings etc (I think). :confused:

May well be possible Iptv is a bit of a mystery to me and a lot of conflicting information everywhere you read just confuses me more. There was a post somewhere in this forum about setting timeshift to start after 2 seconds or something similar which would allow you to pause live tv but vod couldn't be done

Anyway, first things first, it looks to me like I have both USB memory sticks working now thanks to the help from you guys in here :(y):.

It auto updated the EPG in the early hours of the morning and I also ran CrossEPG manually too and my EPG is all there and populates all the channels that it can do, so, so far so good I hope, lol.

Can someone tell me, how would I know if the EPG is actually saving to the USB stick :confused: ? as to me it looks like nothing is listed in the USB or does it just save and you can't actually see anything to show that its actually stored in a certain place on the USB or what ?

I could take a photo if you like of my settings etc but I can tell you if I look in the plugin CacheFlush 1.17 it says "Uncached memory: 1024kB, (default 8192kB), Memory 305MB - Used: 36.30% Free: 63.70%.

When I look in the Recordings List (/media/hdd/movie/) it says 29Gb (99%) free diskspace, that USB stick is 32GB in total size, so I would guess that's obviously because I don't have anything recorded and saved in there but I did last night and the figures dropped because the recording obviously used some space on the drive or usb rather.

But, I just can't find anywhere to look to see if my EPG USB is actually saving the EPG, where would I see/find that EPG info or is it not possible to see it ? When I look in Mounts/Device Manager I can see that although I know the EPG USB stick is 4GB in total size it says the size is only 3GB :confused: ?, but I can't see EPG taking up 1GB, can you or would it ?

In that same Mounts/Device Manager area I can also see the 32GB USB stick setup for recording and although I know that stick is 32GB in total size it says in there that there is only 29GB, why is that when nothing is recorded on it ?

I know in windows PC's etc hard drives and USB sticks use a chunk of their total space for setting themselves up in order to work and that means you lose a whole chunk of space before you even kickoff, so I am thinking this could be the same idea with them in these boxes, correct ?, but the 4GB EPG stick losing 1 full GB, that looked rather strange to me, unless I can find whether or not it is possible to see that actual saved EPG info ?

Is my Gizmo USB set correctly for saving the EPG ?, I notice on @cactikid image his is set differently on his DT Micro USB stick like /media/usb, I am guessing he is using that for EPG, right ?

Should mines be set like that too in order for it to save the EPG ? if so how do I set it like that, can someone please tell me ?

I see the usb for epg is mounted as media sdb1, is this the path you have set in crossepg and epg settings if not it will default to internal flash.To mount as media/usb go to mount manager press green to set up mounts highlight the device you wish to set the mountpoint on and scroll right till you get /media/usb appear green to save then reboot. Make sure cross epg and epg save settings are set to media/usb if you follow the instructions I have just given. To see if epg.dat ends up where you want it you can use filezilla or dream explorer which is a file manager for your receiver and can be downloaded from plugins/extensions

I see the usb for epg is mounted as media sdb1, is this the path you have set in crossepg and epg settings if not it will default to internal flash.To mount as media/usb go to mount manager press green to set up mounts highlight the device you wish to set the mountpoint on and scroll right till you get /media/usb appear green to save then reboot. Make sure cross epg and epg save settings are set to media/usb if you follow the instructions I have just given. To see if epg.dat ends up where you want it you can use filezilla or dream explorer which is a file manager for your receiver and can be downloaded from plugins/extensions

Thanks mate, I will try that and report to you and everyone how it goes, recording a movie right now so I don't want to touch the box incase it fks the recording up, lol, tell me this though please, does anyone know if these boxes will continue recording if switched off to standby or do they have to be left on ?

Back