Zgemma i55 save EPG to USB problems, help please.

Dt 100 G2 would be the place to save to as you have worked out. Dont worry if it doesn't work we can always try epg importer which I can show you pictures of from my box. It is quite user friendly and I can talk you through it

ok @1999gtv mate thanks, it's not working anyway :(

Shall we try this epg importer then to see if we can get that to do the job or please tell me if this may be easier, I have the Scr**t, if I was to re-run the Scr**t do you think that has more chance of making it work again because everythings working fine apart from the EPG, to me it's as if something has happened during the time of changing and re-changing settings for the epg over and over again that may have caused a problem, but I don't have a clue if re-running the Scr**t would sort the problem out or do nothing at all ? :confused:

What do you think @1999gtv ? Or anyone who knows what they are talking about, any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
By all means give it a try bud you never know. Then try crossepg once more and if it fails we can try epg importer

By all means give it a try bud you never know. Then try crossepg once more and if it fails we can try epg importer

@1999gtv, Could it make matters worse though I should have asked first, lol ? At least everything is fine just now apart from the EPG.

If its safe to try it and it won't make anything any worse then I am not sure how to re-run the scr**t either ?

From what I understand its something like getting my IP off the box first then having the box connected to the same router as my computer obviously with ethernet cables as they are anyway, then run a program like putty or filezilla is it maybe on the computer ?

But then what ?, I was just told to re-run the Scr**t, not very good advice as it's a first for me, people tend to forget these things sometimes, we have all been there at some stage or another in our levels of gaining experience.

can you clear up epg issue,is box using sat or cable feeds?
just using iptv services via internet and stick up a photo of service ticked

Know where your coming from with the just run the script type comments, it's a nightmare the first time you do something your not familiar or comfortable with, the first time I flashed my receivers I was convinced I would kill it stone dead. Anyway your question can it make things worse I can't tell you as all Iptv scripts do different things and whatever you do don't post a copy of script on the forum. Most scripts I have used rely on epg importer and some actually install it do you have epg importer in menu/plugins 1_0_1_CFD5_83F_2_11A0000_0_0_0.jpg as we can disable cross epg and try this instead. If you can put up pic as cactikid suggests he may be able to help

can you clear up epg issue,is box using sat or cable feeds?
just using iptv services via internet and stick up a photo of service ticked

its an i55 zgemma mate, it can only do iptv , it only has an ethernet port and it's the XMLTV provider service that starts with an Ry for the crossepg if thats what you mean @cactikid ?

Last edited:
If you do wish to try running script again download putty. Google putty and first result is site called chiark.greenend download the version you need from there. When installed open it choose telnet connection and enter ip address of zgemma , then click on button that says open in the window that comes next enter root as login then copy and paste your script in and press enter and let it do its thing. If at anytime password is asked for just press enter as password is normally blank.

Know where your coming from with the just run the script type comments, it's a nightmare the first time you do something your not familiar or comfortable with, the first time I flashed my receivers I was convinced I would kill it stone dead. Anyway your question can it make things worse I can't tell you as all Iptv scripts do different things and whatever you do don't post a copy of script on the forum. Most scripts I have used rely on epg importer and some actually install it do you have epg importer in menu/plugins View attachment 29384 as we can disable cross epg and try this instead. If you can put up pic as cactikid suggests he may be able to help

@1999gtv, The box came with CrossEPG plugin installed and not epg importer, so we can try that if it doesn't cause any problems and I can also bring CrossEPG back if need be ?

I can see epgimport (1.0+git170) in the list of available extensions.

And yes I have always known with anything to do with any types of boxes never ever to disclose Lines and nowdays scripts, thats why I wouldnt even type the word script and I typed Scr**t instead as I wasn't sure if I should even say that word, lol, so yes, I am super security minded in that respect.

I would much rather try the epgimporter if it defo won't cause any problems and i can always switch back to the same crossEPG again if the epgimporter fails too, maybe better in casee-running the script makes a problem like you said your unsure, so if your unsure then I'm unsure, lol.

That version of epg importer is one you need, no need to remove cross epg just disable scheduled download ,if needed again you just reenable. Install epg importer once installed you will find it in plugins.When you got your iptv sub were there any instructions in your email if so do you still have the email

Last edited:
That version of epg importer is one you need, no need to remove cross epg just disable scheduled download ,if needed again you just reenable. Install epg importer once installed you will find it in plugins.When you got your iptv sub were there any instructions in your email if so do you still have the email

Sorry @1999gtv, I fell asleep at the computer last night mate.

No, no instructions apart from "plug the box in and press the CrossEPG button" and that was it, instantly it populated the EPG in the places it should do, that was it, worked fine, but that was just with the CrossEPG and EPG set to save to internal flash, no changes to any settings or nothing and no USB sticks involved at that point, plus it came with the CrossEPG plugin already installed.

I have two of these zgemma i55 boxes, the one we are trying to get working just now with the USB stick and the second box in another room which has never had any settings changed and always just been left to save both the crossepg and epg to internal flash, it's never had a usb stick or nothing in it and it's EPG has always worked fine saving both settings to Internal flash.

However, theres a bit of a twist on the story now, the other day when I decided to get one box saving the EPG saving to USB and recording etc is when I suddenly started to get no EPG on that box which U know about, so that same night or the next night I just checked the other Untouched box in the other room and the epg was still working perfectly fine on that, I even manually updated it and everything rather than wait on the auto update and it was fine, the epg was populated in all the places it should be but remember, that box was only saving to internal flash and no usb sticks or other settings had been near it or touched it.

But, last night I checked that untouched box and guess what......The damn EPG is now not working on that either, I tried manually updating it and nothing and again today still no EPG on it, so that's the other box too now with no EPG :(, I don't know if it being connected to the router with a powerline (homeplug) would cause that problem ? the box doesnt get used much, just now and again in bed for a short time, plus the powerline is connected by ethernet to the router and the box (not wifi like some of those powerlines have an option for these days), great speeds on the powerline too, approx 60-65Mbps and a great ping too plus viewing the box on HD things works a treat with no problems at all.

Another thing I thought I should ask is that, I noticed that some people advise to totally turn off your router firewall as it can cause problems, well I never done that and as I said, EPG was working fine for me for a short while and also viewing is working fine, so I am wondering if the router firewall should be turned off for IPTV purposes or if my system has already proved that it doesn't need to be switched off, it's hard to say, I am unsure and wonder what your thoughts are on this, what I mean is could the router firewall cause the EPG problems ? (I have only had the boxes a few weeks now).

Could it be Rytec that is just extremely slow at fixing things I wonder ? I noticed even though the epg is having these problems, for some reason it updates other things if its them that does that, like adding/updating little things for you to watch without me going into too much detail if you know what I mean ;), so I don't know if its rytec that add those updates or if thats down to joe blogs that sells the things, I have no idea.

P.S, Meant to say to you and @cactikid earlier and forgot, I'm not connected to Vermin cable or sly satellite either, just one of the other internet service providers via FTTC (fibre to the cabinet 80Mbps).

Last edited:
I have firewall on in my router and don't have issues with epg or running iptv. Epg is patchy on iptv, fine on uk channels and foreign sports but not complete on some of the other iptv bouquets. Perfect on sat and terrestial using epg importer and rytec sources. As you have internet connection and can watch streams I would expect epg to be ok. There are posts all over the place about epg vanishing on some of the boxes, have you updated sources in crossepg and which sources are you using?
Where possible use the xz sources

Ok, thanks about the Firewall info, thats what I was thinking too, I didn't switch mines off either.

So what I decided to do or try at least was give the CrossEPG one last chance before doing anything else.

I looked in setup/EPG/CrossEPG/XMLTV providers and then I could see the one provider that was ticked that came with the box pre selected but as I said before, it did work before, the only one that was selected was Rytec IPTV XMLTV which is the first Rytec one you come to in the list and it's not the Rytec one below it that ends with (xz), that wasn't selected, just the first one was, same on both my boxes so I'm guessing joe blogs is selling these with that setting selected, maybe it was fine at first but obviously not now, although maybe it works for some people, it's very hard to say. (You can see in the photos attached).

Anyway, I went ahead and UNTICKED/DESELECTED "Rytec IPTV XLTV" and then scrolled all the way down quite near the end of the list of providers and I came across some that I liked the look of, they are as you can see in the other photos too.

So, I ticked all those new ones I seen in the photos and clicked green to save and then yellow to download.

After that I exited all the way back to the main menu and then pressed plugins and Ran the CrossEPG Downloader plugin, I noticed straight away it was taking ages to update compared to what like it was before with just the Rytec one ticked, this is a guess, but even with an 80Mbps internet speed connection I would say it took me about 10 minutes, maybe more.

Then as if just like magic all my EPG is now back :), well at least for now anyway, I saved it onto the box internal flash memory first just to check if it would work, before even trying the USB memory stick which I will try now, might as well just to see if it hopefully works, so thats my next step.

Tell me this though guys, do you think I need all those boxes ticked that I have ticked ? And do you think I should re-tick that Rytec one that I unticked or maybe even tick both of those Rytec ones and download them all along with all the rest that I have newly ticked, saved and downloaded that I showed you in the photos ?

Lastly, is there anything different that you guys would have done or selected compared to me, please tell ?

Attachments

• IMAG0549.jpg
    IMAG0549.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0552.jpg
    IMAG0552.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0553.jpg
    IMAG0553.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 25
Make sure you tick the rytec iptv xmltv XZ version in your first photo the other ones you have ticked are fine to keep as well, there is another worth ticking about halfway between photo 1 and photo 2 there is a Rytec miscellaneous xmltv xz file enable it as well . The xz version is the newer source the old sources are being phased out and are all close to end of life. The reason as I understand it is the xz versions take up less server space. The sources are the same ones I have selected in epg importer

those ones that you ticked are for sat and cable in uk or irl and i dont have or use iptv.
having said that i have noticed many mistakes be in named channels or times not correct.

those ones that you ticked are for sat and cable in uk or irl and i dont have or use iptv.
having said that i have noticed many mistakes be in named channels or times not correct.
That's really strange eh ? :confused:, how the hell did it manage to pick up all the EPG from those ones then ? Strange isn't it, unless there is some kind of explanation I guess ?

Being honest, I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but I think there may even be some more channels, there have certainly been a load more goodies to view that have been added too if you get what I mean ;)

I don't know how it works but those sources work for me it must be something to do with the way your iptv provider names the channels. I know at the end of my script it says output =mpeg ts I think, which is what is used in dvb and some multicast streams. So I assume it identifies itself as a dvb stream to the plugin used for epg and pulls epg that way. I could of course be miles off the mark it wouldn't be the first time, I however don't really care what witchcraft is involved it works and is the same sources my supplier advised using

Just thinking, as I have now set it up to save the epg and crossepg plus record too (thanks to you guys on here) onto that one larger USB memory stick, is there a very safe way to remove any saved EPG that may just be taking up valuable room on the boxes internal flash memory or wherever it's stored to in the box ? Is there a way to delete it safely or is there no point or what, was just a thought ?

It's just that I looked in cacheflush and its saying used 46.56% Free 53.44%, I would have expected the "Free" to be much higher than that as I have free'd up the box memory from saving the EPG, thats whats making me think that maybe with downloading all that provider stuff onto the internal flash memory might have took a big chunk of it up and its now just sitting in there doing nothing ?

What you guys think ?

Last edited:
Most posts recommend using putty to stop enigma2 using command init 4 then keeping putty open also open filezilla find location of the file you wish to remove and delete it. This is followed by returning to the still open putty and issuing command init 3 which starts enigma 2 again. It can be done entirely through putty if you know the exact path to the file you wish to delete. Example below shows removing from a device mounted and identified as usb. Plenty of potential for tears before bedtime
init 4 <- stop enigma2
rm /mediausb/epg.dat
rm -r /mediausb/crossepg
init 6 <- start enigma2
If you aren't confident and box is ok leave it alone is my advice. At some stage in the future you will probably need to update your box with fresh flash it will be sorted then. Atv have a habit of introducing things which can only be solved with clean install, not very often but just occasionaly

Last edited:
Most posts recommend using putty to stop enigma2 using command init 4 then keeping putty open also open filezilla find location of the file you wish to remove and delete it. This is followed by returning to the still open putty and issuing command init 3 which starts enigma 2 again. It can be done entirely through putty if you know the exact path to the file you wish to delete. Example below shows removing from a device mounted and identified as usb. Plenty of potential for tears before bedtime
init 4 <- stop enigma2
rm /mediausb/epg.dat
rm -r /mediausb/crossepg
init 3 <- start enigma2
If you aren't confident and box is ok leave it alone is my advice. At some stage in the future you will probably need to update your box with fresh flash it will be sorted then. Atv have a habit of introducing things which can only be solved with clean install, not very often but just occasionaly
Thanks,

why can't I just delete those files right from the set top box onscreen menu using that plugin Dream Explorer which I have installed ?

Thinking behind it is as box is started epg is read and stored in memory so it is not constantly trying to read data from hdd /or internal storage , as a consequence if you delete epg while enigma 2 is running you aren't clearing all the data and can end up with file corruption. It isn't as hard to do as it sounds, make a note where epg is stored while using dream explorer so you can navigate to it using filezilla/whichever programme you favour. Connect using putty like you would if trying to load script after entering username root you should be logged into a telnet window enter command init 4, then connect to box using filezilla or whichever program you use to access you box find the file you wish to delete and remove it then disconnect filezilla. In putty enter command init 6 box should then fully reboot.

Back