Zgemma i55 save EPG to USB problems, help please.

Thinking behind it is as box is started epg is read and stored in memory so it is not constantly trying to read data from hdd /or internal storage , as a consequence if you delete epg while enigma 2 is running you aren't clearing all the data and can end up with file corruption. It isn't as hard to do as it sounds, make a note where epg is stored while using dream explorer so you can navigate to it using filezilla/whichever programme you favour. Connect using putty like you would if trying to load script after entering username root you should be logged into a telnet window enter command init 4, then connect to box using filezilla or whichever program you use to access you box find the file you wish to delete and remove it then disconnect filezilla. In putty enter command init 6 box should then fully reboot.

Update Message to @1999gtv, @cactikid or anyone that's been following this thread.

This looks really strange to me, since it seems now as you know that the USB memory sticks are I'm pretty sure set up properly to save/update the EPG to save to usb memory stick on both my boxes, when i now look in the plugin CacheFlush on both boxes its saying the free memory is only approx 42% where-as without a usb memory stick the free memory goes up to about 60-64%, thats quite a big chunk of memory :grimacing:.

Using dream explorer I can see in both the usb memory stick in the crossepg folder the information shows that it defo done something which I can only imagine is to update/save epg in the early hours of this morning which is fine and what i would expect. (its set to update each day in the early hours of the morning).

BUT, when I check down all the sub folders inside the internal flash folder I can clearly see that when I check the hdd/crossepg folder it shows that it has also been doing something with the epg at the same time of the early hours of this morning as the UBS stick epg has too :confused:, what the hell is that all about I wonder ?

It looks to me like it's saving and/or updating to those two places I just mentioned both on the Internal flash and USB, check it yourself on yours and you will maybe see the same thing, there again maybe not, hard to say.

I also see a couple of crossepg sub folders inside other folders in the internal flash memory but the difference with those is that they have older dates the last time they done anything so therefor I am thinking it's just that internal flash hdd/crossepg folder that seems to be active with epg updating/saving in the internal flash and I find that odd as it's all set up to save to USB as I mentioned, don't you guys find it odd too ?

Maybe if some of you guys could compare what I see with yours it may be that it's the same (on any box) with everyone or every box and you haven't noticed, but what really bothers me is as I said, why in the hell would I be losing a lot of free memory (on both boxes since introducing the USB sticks) and in theory effectively It should have increased free memory by adding the USB stick.

@1999gtv, I know you said use putty or filezilla etc but being honest, it's very very tempting to use that dream explorer plugin and simply delete that hdd/crossepg folder that appears to defo be doing something with the epg like I said.

Do you think doing that would fkc the box right up to the extent that it required reflashed or is it hard to tell ?, or even would it maybe just automatically put those folders back automatically at the next morning update of epg ? I have no idea, I am just thinking maybe someone on here would know though.

If it was very risky, how do I make a FULL backup of my whole current setup ?, I read a bit about it and I think I need a clean USB stick with a text document created on it before it would backup up onto the stick, and that stick would be best to be just used for the backup purposes and thats all, is that correct ? and if there was a serious problem would that allow me to fully install the backup onto the box and all my IPTV and settings and everything would all be back to the way they are just now and working ?

I dread to think that the memory keeps dropping and dropping, its looking that way but I may well be wrong and I don't have a clue why this is happening :confused:

Last edited:
If you delete using the dream explorer plugin it will only return the next time enigma 2 is started as epg is held in memory while enigma 2 is running and rewritten to disk once stopped. Using putty and filezilla it does not return as you have stopped enigma2 forcing it to clear its memory.

Regarding one other point as you are having issues making a full backup won't solve anything it would only bring same issues back when reinstalling. Back up should be done when the box is running exactly as you want it not when having issues. The only important thing on the box is your subscription anything else is free anyway, hardest thing about reflashing zgemma is getting it to recognise the usb stick with the new image on it. In the downloads section at top of forum there is a zip file with best tool and full instructions to prepare flash drive http://www.techkings.org/resources/preparing-flash-drives.41/ . As long as you have a copy of your sub and know how to install it I would reflash with the newest OpenAtv 6.1 for your box and set up again there is a guide here just ignore the bits about tuner setup and adding softcams as it is not relevant to your box http://www.techkings.org/threads/openatv-set-up-guide.114651/

Thanks for the info.

Would i delete the whole internal flash folder called hdd or should i only delete the crossepg subfolder thats inside, plus theres a loose file called epg.dat in the main hdd folder too, so should that go too if picking certain ones rather than deleting the whole hdd folder ?

And what about the other couple of crossepg subfolders i can see within a couple of other main folders I can see them in but as i said, the dates are not up to date, its as if those aren't doing anything, would it be best to leave them alone or just to delete anything related to crossepg at all ?

Also, can you think of anything else that may be creating that memory problem or will it be the epg like i explained ?, did you look on yours to see if yours is the same out of curiosity ? (I cant remember if you said you currently have IPTV or not though).

I am trying out an Iptv sub at moment it's only been on box since this morning, I am not having any issues so far and didn't with my previous sub, not in the memory department anyway. I don't use cache flush or swap manager haven't had the need for it on the Osmega. Also I don't use crossepg any more and only downloaded it on to my box so I could answer some of your queries with it. It is no longer on my box following reflash to latest Atv and installation of new sub. Normally I would just delete epg.data file but your box is a bit screwed up. If you want to try kill or cure go to remove plugins/ system plugins and uninstall cross epg. Then go through all files and folders removing any reference to cross epg and the epg.data files. Followed by reboot and reinstall of crossepg

my thinking on this is its screwed up and needs to be reflashed and setup from scratch,but have no idea whats needed to be done?

my thinking on this is its screwed up and needs to be reflashed and setup from scratch,but have no idea whats needed to be done?
This I 100% agree with but OP seems to be quite adverse to doing it so trying everything else first. I can see it having to happen though

we can fix it after the new year then:grimacing::grimacing:
LOL, I'm scared to be honest mate.

Also I am grateful and read exactly what you guys are saying too, oh, the cacheflush was on both boxes when I got them, thats why its there.

Reading cacheflush on one box (the one that seems to be causing most probs) today the free memory has dropped all the way down to 25% , thats a massive drop in one day and I dont know whats causing it :confused:, the other box though is showing the free memory went up about 15% to 54%, but I still think thats not right as without any usb sticks the free memory jumps up to about high 50's to 65%-ish.

surely even the epg wouldnt cause problems with memory like that ?

if cacheflush isnt good to use, what other way is there to check things like this ?

Whatever you see through cache flush will constantly change, each process on the receiver will use cached memory at some stage. Cache flush was only ever needed on some of the old slow boxes with very little cache memory like my old 2s when you needed to clear the cache in order to do anything. Any of the more modern receivers it isn't needed . On the 2s I could look in cache flush following a clean installation and only the most basic plugins installed and it would be sat at about 30%, open a few menus and something like epg then look again and it could be down to 10-15%. Even reading from usb stick will cause the cached memory to decrease also the cache flush plugin itself will use some of it to run. The more plugins etc you have on your box and even the type of skin you have can have an effect. I have to agree with the others who say only a reflash is going to sort the issues you are having

I am trying out an Iptv sub at moment it's only been on box since this morning, I am not having any issues so far and didn't with my previous sub, not in the memory department anyway. I don't use cache flush or swap manager haven't had the need for it on the Osmega. Also I don't use crossepg any more and only downloaded it on to my box so I could answer some of your queries with it. It is no longer on my box following reflash to latest Atv and installation of new sub. Normally I would just delete epg.data file but your box is a bit screwed up. If you want to try kill or cure go to remove plugins/ system plugins and uninstall cross epg. Then go through all files and folders removing any reference to cross epg and the epg.data files. Followed by reboot and reinstall of crossepg

Thanks @1999gtv mate,
well guess what, its defo the epg that is causing some sort of memory issue as I followed your instructions above and deleted every single things I could find that has anything to do with EPG or CrossEPG and then went on to do what you said, although I only done this via the dream explorer plugin and not the correct way using putty and filezilla like is recommended with you, I just wanted to see what would happen as I am scared to break anything and even more scared to have to reflash etc as I haven't done it before with this box.

That said, I found one thing out, the CrossEPG IS the culprit of gobbling up all that memory as now the free memory is away back up to 60+%, what I also done was only to select the two Rytec xz providers that you told me too and I unselected/deselected all the ones that cactikid said were only meant for Satellite and cable users which I am not one of, still strange though why when I selected only those Sat and cable ones the other day and not the rytec ones it still pulled in all the EPG listings, I did mention that at the time.

Anyway, I have also noticed now that the new version of CrossEPG is an UPdated version which is 0.8.4 (old one was 083), whether that helps or not is hard to say, I also noticed exactly what you said would happen has happened and after doing all this some of the crossEPG folders etc are back again in internal flash, you did warn me that would happen though but I just chanced my luck to see.

I wonder though, would maybe unselecting all those providers that cactikid said are only for sat and cable save a lot of memory and this may or may not be the end of the thing gobbling up lots of memory ?

One last question on this post, if I was to ditch CrossEPG and just use EPG importer plugin, would that defo simply stop the crossepg from saving and/or updating anything and then that would stop the crossepg in its tracks ? (but still maybe leave it dormant in the system but not in use which would be fine ?) and I could maybe do all this simply from the Remote control and on screen menu or would all that still have to be done via the computer ?

Last edited:
i did use epg importer for cable only and got 24hr epg.
not knowing this box does it have a completely image as from sat or cable boxes?

Epg importer gives me 24hrs of epg on iptv and full 7 days on satellite. If you wish to try correcting crossepg uninstall it from plugins then go to epg settings and turn off automatic refresh and turn off save epg data. After this fully reboot box then try deleting all references to cross epg and epg.data from everywhere on receiver using dream explorer, without anything looking to load data it may stay gone. Reboot and check if files have gone using dream explorer. Go back into epg settings make sure you re-enable auto refresh and save epg data then save. Re-install cross epg then reboot for last time before setting up cross epg again making sure it is saving to whatever your hdd is called and enable only the minimum xmltv providers. Epg importer is ok if your provider supports it and provides a script which enables a link to their site to provide a more complete epg

i did use epg importer for cable only and got 24hr epg.
not knowing this box does it have a completely image as from sat or cable boxes?
it says on the info it has openATV 6.0 and its got the SLYK Q HD V1.016 skin, i know there is the openatv 6.1 still in beta release which is meant to be perfectly fine which has been mentioned several times on this thread, so as for version 6.0 and the skin that was pre-installed I dont know if it would be much better just updating or what..

Put it this way, it's now looking like what @1999gtv says might happen has came true, trying to watch some stuff here and its freezing up etc, wasnt doing that earlier, so it looks like I have fkd it up good and well, screammmmmmmmmmmm, lol, all my own fault too as I was warned.

So I have the my Script, that helps, lol, that's all I know apart from what @1999gtv has gratefully explained about putty and filezilla and stuff, I am still worried stiff though and like I have mentioned before, I am pretty clueless, ffs, I wish I just left the fkin thing alone from the start now, lol, I am not really laughing, more like crying, lol

Try what I mentioned in post before yours it could just be file corruption in epg. If not we can get you through full set up and flash. Which part of country you in m8 if in wilts/somerset area will come talk you through it

Epg importer gives me 24hrs of epg on iptv and full 7 days on satellite. If you wish to try correcting crossepg uninstall it from plugins then go to epg settings and turn off automatic refresh and turn off save epg data. After this fully reboot box then try deleting all references to cross epg and epg.data from everywhere on receiver using dream explorer, without anything looking to load data it may stay gone. Reboot and check if files have gone using dream explorer. Go back into epg settings make sure you re-enable auto refresh and save epg data then save. Re-install cross epg then reboot for last time before setting up cross epg again making sure it is saving to whatever your hdd is called and enable only the minimum xmltv providers. Epg importer is ok if your provider supports it and provides a script which enables a link to their site to provide a more complete epg

Oh, so there may be hope then to save this ?

please read my post above this one and tell me if there might be a chance after you see whats happening now please ?

Try what I mentioned in post before yours it could just be file corruption in epg. If not we can get you through full set up and flash. Which part of country you in m8 if in wilts/somerset area will come talk you through it

Ok, will try mate, but no, not in wilts/somerset, I'm up north mate.

Dont worry if it doesn't work fella flashing your box isn't that bad zgemmas can be a bit picky regarding usb sticks not being picked up but that is it really. I can link you to the things you need to make it as painless as possible and talk you through set up from start to finish. Fault may even be at providers end and just coincidental I had sound breakup and some freezing about 15 mins ago

I notice (I think) the site doesnt allow PM's, thats a kinda a pain isn't it, probably to stop people pestering others though, so I can see the point.
Dont worry if it doesn't work fella flashing your box isn't that bad zgemmas can be a bit picky regarding usb sticks not being picked up but that is it really. I can link you to the things you need to make it as painless as possible and talk you through set up from start to finish. Fault may even be at providers end and just coincidental I had sound breakup and some freezing about 15 mins ago
ok thank you ;), is there no pm option on this site, no ? just wondering.

Back