H2H Glitching Questions

I have not seen anyone ask which cable type you are using and how long the run is both make a difference.

Just sorted a friends out all it took was to reduce the cable run length by 2m.

I have not seen anyone ask which cable type you are using and how long the run is both make a difference.

I have 2 runs of cable which are about 10m each running from the splitter, one is official virgin cable going to the superhub, the other is PF100 running to the zgemma, i have tried swapping them round again with no luck.

Definately look at the router. I upgraded the original sh1 to the sh3 around 3 weeks ago. I had awful glitching on some channels before the swap. Since the can count on 1 hand the times it has glitched

Definately look at the router. I upgraded the original sh1 to the sh3 around 3 weeks ago. I had awful glitching on some channels before the swap. Since the can count on 1 hand the times it has glitched

Did you have to pay for the upgrade?

I was at the end of my contract and went into a new 12 months just broadband and phone. Cost 9.99 activation fee. Is a million times better. On 100mb and get that over wifi aswell as ethernet

After much complaining i have managed to get Virgin to send me a new Superhub V3 which will be with me on Thursday, hopefully this will solve my issue!!

I have 2 runs of cable which are about 10m each running from the splitter, one is official virgin cable going to the superhub, the other is PF100 running to the zgemma, i have tried swapping them round again with no luck.

10m is too long that sort of length needs engineer to calibrate (two 5m may be fine depending on cable type)

This is why self install kit only gives 2-3m cable.

If you are having problems these sort of steps can be used as a guide (i know they can be effort but it's the best way to fault find) also a lot of people remove the isolator do not do this and the cable from the isolater to the splitter should be as short as possible under 1m if possible it makes a difference.

1.no splitter short run of cable with 1 device (if works next step)
2. no splitter longer cable run with 1 device (if work next step)
3. splitter short cable run 1 device (if work next step)
4. splitter long cable run 1 device (if work next step)
5. spliiter two short cable runs (if works next step)
6. spliiter two long runs (if works all should be working well)

10m is too long that sort of length needs engineer to calibrate (two 5m may be fine depending on cable type)

If you are having problems these sort of steps can be used as a guide (i know they can be effort but it's the best way to fault find) also a lot of people remove the isolator do not do this and the cable from the isolater to the splitter should be as short as possible under 1m if possible it makes a difference.

Unfortunately i don't have a choice with the length of cable as from where it enters my house, it has to go all the way around the bottom of the walls as i have wooden flooring so i can do a straight run across the front room.

This setup worked fine on my old kryptview box?

I could possibly make the run a couple of meters shorter at best. The virgin guy installed my router with one long run of cable and didn't say it would be a problem?

I've got 3 runs in my house
1 x 8 metre connected to a twin tuner
1 x 15 metre connected to a single tuner
1 x 25-30 metre connected to a single tuner
All run fine

Last edited:
The cable going to my VM SH3 is about 30m long - the engineer took it round every wall - but it works fine - get 100mb in speed test no probs. He put these two things on each end not sure what they are or what they do. The cable going to my box is 3m long.

Unfortunately i don't have a choice with the length of cable as from where it enters my house, it has to go all the way around the bottom of the walls as i have wooden flooring so i can do a straight run across the front room.

This setup worked fine on my old kryptview box?

I could possibly make the run a couple of meters shorter at best. The virgin guy installed my router with one long run of cable and didn't say it would be a problem?

Can it not enter the house from the other end?

If a VM installer did the install then well it will work they can change the power needed you have now gone and split it and run another long cable plus added another device which if you got the installer out he could fix that. (vm installers do enough to just get it working they do not care about anything else)

I've got 3 runs in my house
1 x 8 metre connected to a twin tuner
1 x 15 metre connected to a single tuner
1 x 25-30 metre connected to a single tuner
All run fine

Good but each house is different not all are the same which is what people need to understand.

As I pointed out before many factors play a role.

The cable going to my VM SH3 is about 30m long - the engineer took it round every wall - but it works fine - get 100mb in speed test no probs. He put these two things on each end not sure what they are or what they do. The cable going to my box is 3m long.

They are not really suppose to do 30m installs the allocation of cable for each client is 20m but again as I pointed out most don't care anyone can do that job if they give you the correct equipment.

I remember a few times I have been about with them doing installs for friends and family talking to the guys they don't have a clue about cable quality or even regulations when it comes to installs.

Same asnwer as a post above it should work fine it was installed from VM they can adjust if needed.

The bits on the end I bet are attenuators which is another thing the enigneer knows which ones you need or do not need.

Last edited:
What is an attenuator and what is an isolator and what's the difference between the two? How can you tell which is what?

This glitching issue is really annoying - Monday Night Raw glitching was quite bad out if the blue as SSP5 HD doesn't normally glitch - then watching Smackdown on Tuesday night - perfect! Not a single glitch. Weird. I am going to change the splitter as I haven't changed that yet - using the one VM installed - but have got s Tratec one now so will see if that makes a difference as I would like to have SSP1 HD glitch free.

I've got isolators on the end of all my cables

What is an attenuator and what is an isolator and what's the difference between the two? How can you tell which is what?

This glitching issue is really annoying - Monday Night Raw glitching was quite bad out if the blue as SSP5 HD doesn't normally glitch - then watching Smackdown on Tuesday night - perfect! Not a single glitch. Weird. I am going to change the splitter as I haven't changed that yet - using the one VM installed - but have got s Tratec one now so will see if that makes a difference as I would like to have SSP1 HD glitch free.

Having very similar issue. Somehow doing a speed test makes the glitching so much worse especially during the upload test. Currently set up with default virgin cables (with splitter for box and router). All 3 cables are around 1m long. How has changing the splitter been? did it solve the issue?

This glitching issue is really annoying - Monday Night Raw glitching was quite bad out if the blue as SSP5 HD doesn't normally glitch - then watching Smackdown on Tuesday night - perfect! Not a single glitch. Weird. I am going to change the splitter as I haven't changed that yet - using the one VM installed - but have got s Tratec one now so will see if that makes a difference as I would like to have SSP1 HD glitch free

Having very similar issue. Somehow doing a speed test makes the glitching so much worse especially during the upload test. Currently set up with default virgin cables (with splitter for box and router). All 3 cables are around 1m long. How has changing the splitter been? did it solve the issue?

My tv goes the same when running a speed test, i have tried both splitters and i think its worse with the tratec one! are you using a superhub, if so which one? i am still awaiting delivery of my v3 superhub!

This glitching issue is really annoying - Monday Night Raw glitching was quite bad out if the blue as SSP5 HD doesn't normally glitch - then watching Smackdown on Tuesday night - perfect! Not a single glitch. Weird. I am going to change the splitter as I haven't changed that yet - using the one VM installed - but have got s Tratec one now so will see if that makes a difference as I would like to have SSP1 HD glitch free

My tv goes the same when running a speed test, i have tried both splitters and i think its worse with the tratec one! are you using a superhub, if so which one? i am still awaiting delivery of my v3 superhub!

Yes I am using superhub, and it is superhub 3. I tried putting it in modem only mode and connecting the h2h box directly to it however still had the issue.

Changed the splitter - no different. Still get glitching on the usual channels plus some channels hit and miss. Time to try the Konig Amp - last resort and if that don't solve it then give up or get a new box with a better tuner.

Back